Question for people who have lost

Options
2»

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 60 and people treat me the same as they always have,I have never had any negitive experiances in the way someone treats me due to my weight
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I'm still about 100 pounds overweight but people seem to be nice to me regardless. I'm a lot harder on myself than others are toward me. I wonder too if it is because I'm older - complete with more white hair than brunette these days - and remind people of their moms or grandmas. Plus, I'm usually pleasant with other people, asking how they are doing, etc., so maybe that offsets any initial judgment they may have had.

The only place I've ever encountered a negative response due to my weight was once when I went into a boutique clothing store to look at their handbags and jewelry and the first thing out of the clerk's mouth was, "We don't carry your size here." I responded, "But you do have accessories, right?" She recovered and said "Yes, we do. Can I help you with anything?"

I headed for the door and said, "Not today. I'll do my Christmas shopping somewhere else."

It was my Pretty Woman moment.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Yes, much nicer. In fact, as far as men go - too nice. I was very naive before I lost weight and was totally unprepared for what was waiting for me. But in general, I was shocked at how much more authority one has as a slimmer person - you can complain about things in stores for eg and people actually listen. I also think it was paired with taking much more care of how I looked etc though.

SERIOUSLY AGREE
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Honestly I'm not sure if I'm treated differently (it seems so) or if it's just my confidence has been boosted and I'm more likely to engage in a conversation with people now. Either way - winning!
  • nighthawke
    nighthawke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've actually experienced both sides of this. I lost 130ish pounds, a lot of people had better reactions to me, and then the reverse was true when I gained it back.

However, this isn't all peoples reactions to us, psychologically speaking people reflect back a portion of our own attitude unconsciously, so if you have a poor self image and are not presenting yourself to others well, it's more likely to come back to you in other peoples attitudes then if you were totally self confident and sure of yourself.
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have found people are more friendly and say morning/afternoon to me in the street. I put it down to my new found confidence because I now walk around with my head held high not looking at my feet and I tend to smile at people more lol.

I agree completely with this- I think when we feel badly about ourselves- its projected to the people we encounter- and when we feel good about ourselves- that projects as well.
  • JetzGurl
    JetzGurl Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have found people are more friendly and say morning/afternoon to me in the street. I put it down to my new found confidence because I now walk around with my head held high not looking at my feet and I tend to smile at people more lol.

I agree completely with this- I think when we feel badly about ourselves- its projected to the people we encounter- and when we feel good about ourselves- that projects as well.

Absolutely! I believe confidence has a lot to do with it. One of the earliest things my husband said to me was that he thought my new found confidence was incredibly sexy :blushing:
    I've also started to get more attention at work.
    Of course, it also has a lot to do with the fact that I've completely replaced my wardrobe and take more notice of my appearance now. Some of it is vanity, but most of it is that, now, I can actually find nice clothes...THAT FIT ME!!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    A bit more attention from females, nothing major. In fairness, I'm notoriously oblivious to such advances.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've noticed it, but I'm not sure if they are reacting to my appearance or to the fact that I'm more confident and outgoing now.
  • elo83
    elo83 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Most definetly! I lost 60 lbs and got a promotion at work!
  • davewiard
    Options
    It probably has a lot more to do with how you behave around those people than how they behave around them. Your weight loss makes you happier, more confident in yourself, more energetic, and more outgoing. Instead of holding your head down you hold it upright and everyone else notices, consciously or subconsciously. With your head held high, you are far more approachable. You join conversations and engage those around you more freely. So what seems like "other people are nicer now" might have always been there but you never recognized it because of your own behaviors. I've lost over 45 pounds since I was at my heaviest but I've seen virtually no difference in how people treat me. But even at my heaviest I never put my head down.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Yup. Not that they were 'mean' to me before, but I've noticed when I go to company meetings at headquarters now, more people speak to me, introduce themselves. BUT that may because I come off more confident than I used to, I'm not the silent fat girl in the back of the conference room anymore....I'll sit up front now, speak and show that I'm not afraid of being seen.
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have lost 75 lbs now. In a way, I feel some do respect me more... because of the devotion I have shown to meeting my goal. I think it shows strength they hadn't seen in me, and it just builds respect.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've always been a confident person, but people are definitely nicer to me since I've lost 100+lbs!! It irritates me more often than not... I guess since I don't judge people based on outside characteristics, I don't like being confronted with the fact that so many people do.. :-(

I agree so much with this! I find it hard to make new friends now and the ones I am most comfortable with are my old ones that knew me when I was very overweight, because I know for sure that they liked me for 'me' and not what's on the outside.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!