You're on a diet, you shouldn't be eating that..

Options
2»

Replies

• 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Thread hijack - just went to tell someone who's posted on this thread that their new profile pic is really cool and I find they've unfriended me. *insert surprised/sad face here*

Politics of online friendships eh? How sad making :-(, oh well, their loss right?!

In response to thread topic, for those that haven't realised the glory of eating a bit of whatever you want as long as it fits within your macros, let's ignore their snide remarks and take pleasure in our revelations :-D
  • ckoudsi617
    Options
    I used to be quite rude when I was younger (and much less "mellow"); they'd be on me like, "I knew you couldn't stick to it. Why suffer and waste your time?" Or, "You know you're just going to gain it all back anyway, just like last time and the time before!", or even, "Are you sure that's on your plan"? or whatever. And I would respond with something mean like, "I'm smaller than you now-soinyerFACE!" or "Look in the mirror and follow your own advice! By the way, LOVE your pockmarks!" (I mean, something really cruel -- even: "LOVIN' the 'lady combover', by the way -- I'm ENVIOUS!" Sometimes even, "You know? I wonder, have you ever seen yourself from the back? Well...maybe you should...on second thought: DON'T!) You see, most of the people who tend to say not nice things to me need to lose weight themselves; my thinner friends, relatives and acquaintances have never done this, for whatever reason. UNLESS they jump in and choose to offer unsolicited advice or commentary that is negative, I'm NOT trying to tell other people I know that they should also watch their habits. Still, sometimes I feel like they get the impression that I'm "preaching" even when I keep my mouth shut (and don't reach for the roll basket or order a drink or something, GEESH!) I'm NOT trying to tell anyone else how to live, honest! (Let me TRY, please! Butt OUT!)

No, I was not very nice, and it was lowering myself below their level. I am ashamed to admit how b*tchy I could be. I then moderated to say things like, say, "Time will tell...OH, this is a size '8' skirt by the way. What did you say your size was? Yeah, I thought so" (without letting them answer). If they were much younger I'd say something like, "Sure hope I'm alive to see what YOU look like when you're my age, maybe more like your mom?" (if their mom is much larger) or something. OK, still b*tchy!

NOW if I'm still not quite nice, at the very least, I can reply with equanimity. I say, "You're right; I should think about that. I'd better make sure I record this in my quota for the day.", or I say, "Thank you for helping me! Your words are inspiring me to stay on course, and I appreciate that." If they say I'm full of it; I just agree with them and say, "Yeah, you're right; I don't really value your opinion." (Still not nice.) If they say, "You're just gonna gain it all back", I say, "Yeah, probably, but I've got to keep trying. I need to do this for me. Thanks for your support -- that was sarcasm, by the way!" I will learn to be more polite...some day. But hey! I'm in Boston, and they just "come right out with it" here! (Menh!) They don't know what "sugar-coating" is!

I guess I'm still kinda b*tchy, at least when it comes to people "butting in" where they don't belong. I'd like to say that one day they'll have nothing left to say, but I know that's not true. ("Haters gonna hate" and all that!)

That's okay; you stay true to YOU and let think others think/say whatever they want. This is YOUR journey. Cheers!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i get the opposite.. i should eat cause im looking to thin. pisses me off.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't know anyone that has ever asked me anything like that (I am lucky). When I go out to eat with family and friends, when I am dieting, they ask if a certain restaruaunt is ok for me to eat at, or if I can find something there to stick to my diet.

People need to mind their own business though, you are taking care of yourself, don't let them get you down. <3
  • ckoudsi617
    Options
    i get the opposite.. i should eat cause im looking to thin. pisses me off.
    It's not up to them -- it's up to you to decide when you're thin enough. (Just proves there's interference on both sides of the fence!)
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    When someone says anything about what I am eating I give my standard question. Who are you the food police? That usually shuts them up.
  • emma_groom
    Options
    My mams like that, always lecturing me about my weight but between January and march when I had lost 1 1/2 stone and everyone was commenting on how good I looked I never heard a well done once from her. But then when it was her birthday and I had a cupcake for once since it's like you can't eat that! I don't know how people dare!
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have heard that from my dad multiple times. I know he means well, but still it's not something you should say to your daughter. It's not very encouraging. I used to sing when I was in jr. high and in high school. He used to pay attention to every piece of food I would put in my mouth. He still to this day does that sometimes. I learned that I can dish it back to him, which he doesn't like. I've come to the conclusion that I am the one that has to like myself, so how I feel about the way I look is what's important.

I was actually shocked last week when I had just got home from work and working out and was just standing there talking to my dad and mom, out of nowhere my dad was like, "I can tell you are losing weight." That to me was a big compliment because I wasn't even trying to get one then.

Just keep your head up and remember that you have to be happy with yourself. You are allowed to have a treat every now and then. If you don't allow yourself a treat, you could easily over indulge in it later. Plus, when you workout and know how many calories you worked off and how many you ate, you should be able to do the math to know if you are good in the calories or not.
  • vickstar8707
    Options
    You were eating a FUN sized piece of chocolate, at least you were eating half a block of the family sized or something!

But yea i get the same thing from my family! I'm actually trying to lose weight before i go home for christmas! I dread going home because i always get the same comments from my mum..
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I had 3 gigantic, greasy slices of pepperoni pizza for lunch.

See that ticker down there? It just keeps moving along anyway.

Let 'em hate.