Fast food CAN be good

Options
I'm just saying. Too much bashing and condemning going on around here, so it's Friday, and let's lighten up and talk about the fast food that's enjoyable and actually tasty. Doesn't have to be low cal, just assumes you KNOW what the caloric content is and can fit it in your day.

Ok, I'll go!

Delicious list:
Chipotle - has the best fast food guac ever. Their bowls are amazing.
Chick Fil'A - Spicy southwest salad or a chicken sandwich.
Arby's - their roast beef sammich is magical.
Zaxby's - You Southern folk have a nice chicken finger plate.
In n Out - best fast food burger, IMO.
Baja Fresh - Tacos FTW
Dunkin - I like their breakfast sandwiches when I'm traveling and in the airport
Wendy's - it may be a zillion calories, but the Frosty is amazing.

Bleh list:
McD's - I dunno why, but McD's food makes me ill.
Taco Bell - Their meat is funky.
BK - I've just never had a thing for BK anything.
Subway - the meat tastes like bad mystery meat and their bread is crappy.
Long John Silver's - Everything here tastes like bad grease to me.
Five Guys - overpriced and totally overrated (I may get flamed for this)
Steak and Shake - see comment about Five Guys
Krispy Kreme - I've never had much of a thing for donuts, but these are just terrible

Honorable (location -specific) mention: Cali-style burrito joints, New Jersey delis (because who doesn't love pastrami?), and Geno's Steaks in Philly.

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    OOO I can't wait to go to AZ in the spring with my BF> The first place we are stopping is In N Out! We are huge Lebowski fans and have been dying to go there, none in Indiana...
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    OOO I can't wait to go to AZ in the spring with my BF> The first place we are stopping is In N Out! We are huge Lebowski fans and have been dying to go there, none in Indiana...

To me, In n Out and White Castle are the West and East cult classics of fast food! :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I actually really love McD's salads with grilled chicken. And I love the McDouble.

Sonic is my favorite new fast-food place. I'd never eaten there before we moved out here last year, and now it's definitely on the top of my list.

I love Wendy's, especially now that they revamped their burgers.

And Arby's beef 'n cheddar will always have my heart. :heart: It's just so dang good!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I bet you work for Burger King or McDonald's...
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I agree with your analysis. lol. I also don't like Five Guys that much. Steak & Shake out here is very cheap and pretty tasty, so I'd move it to the tasty list. I would add Jimmy John's to the bleh list, I've never liked them.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    No In N Out here but I've had in on vacation before. My sister now lives near one in a diff state and that's where we're going first when I visit! BEST burger EVER.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You think In-n-Out is the best fast food burger. Lost all credit at that line.

Fast food is meh. better options.
  • papermario
    Options
    Even better than Chipotle (imo) is Moe's!!! I love their jr burrito at 420 cals!!!
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    im sorry if I dont ring the bell on how great fast food is, sorry I cant. Chipotle is the only one that is decent. I dont know what a baja fresh, Five guys or a Zaxby's is. I've never had In and Out burger.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but home cooked food is soooo much better! Or even real food from a restaurant. Arby's roast beef? Good?? It doesnt even come close to real fresh deli made roast beef. Wendy's frosty? Try a fresh batch of real ice cream. I'll take that anyday.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I like the McDonald's salads. We don't eat there often, but not every meal can be a home cooked meal. Not at my house, anyway.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I heard about In and Out Burger forever, then finally went to one with a friend when I was in Cali last spring.
    Wow, have you guys really never had a decent burger that you think that is the best there is?

I have no idea why people eat fast food to begin with, but that list is meh.
  • jean1058
    jean1058 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    While the occasional meal out is more convenient, I prefer to cook. I don't have anything against any of the places you mentioned, except, since I've worked in the food service industry most of my life, I know what goes on in those places. If you all knew, they would be OUT OF BUSINESS.

Just sayin'.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    im sorry if I dont ring the bell on how great fast food is, sorry I cant. Chipotle is the only one that is decent. I dont know what a baja fresh, Five guys or a Zaxby's is. I've never had In and Out burger.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but home cooked food is soooo much better! Or even real food from a restaurant. Arby's roast beef? Good?? It doesnt even come close to real fresh deli made roast beef. Wendy's frosty? Try a fresh batch of real ice cream. I'll take that anyday.

I'm a food snob and cook at home save for some evenings when we try local places. I get into sampling and rating fast food when I travel for work and have limited time / limited options for meals.

Gotta do whatcha gotta do.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    Totally agree about Five Guys!!!!
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I've only ever heard of Subway, McD's, Burger King and Wendy's in that list...i've only had the UK version of subway and haven't had a Wendy since i was last in the states back in 2003!

From the UK i love Pizza Express...haven't eaten Md D's since 2002 when i got food poisening and Burger King smells make be feel sick since i've joint MFP!

So year Pizza Express is the only think for me...apart from a local chippy of course!
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    I heard about In and Out Burger forever, then finally went to one with a friend when I was in Cali last spring.
    Wow, have you guys really never had a decent burger that you think that is the best there is?

I have no idea why people eat fast food to begin with, but that list is meh.

No. It's not "the best burger" EVER ZOMG!

The best burger EVER is the one I make carefully at home from grass fed beef raised by my own family, topped with a selection of grilled portobellas, hickory smoked bacon, and Finlandia swiss, served with a side of jalepenos and steak fries.

In N Out is one of the better grab and go options I've had while traveling.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    It's a fast food list.

It's not a list of best food EVER.

Jesus people, lighten up.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly housebound and live in a small village so some miles form nearest town with McDonalds etc, which is great for my diet as its easier and cheaper for me to get fresh fruit, veg and meat delivered.

On the odd occasion I do get out, I love southern fried chicken for a treat, fish and chips or for restaurant type meals we tend to go to bistro pubs that do carvery's with choice of about 3 different joints, loads of veg, salad and other cooked-to-order dishes too (such as fish and vegetarian). One we go to has a gorgeous dessert trolley they bring round with all the cakes on, makes your mouth water just watching it pass our table.. lol! .. my favourite is hot chocolate fudge cake and ice-cream!.. luckily I only get there a few times a year or I'd have never lost any weight!!! :happy:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Genos? Awww seriously? :laugh: :laugh: I cast my vote for Rick's... or swinging the other way John's Roast Pork. :wink:

Have you heard of / tried "Elevation Burger" yet? One just opened down the street from me but I haven't managed to get there yet. Everything is supposed to be fresh ground and grass fed.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5 guys fan.. Love their burgers and fries.

Culvers is also another favorite of mine.. Worked there for 4 years during high school and college, and nothing will ever replace a butter burger and cheese curds in my heart. Plus their Custard is amazing.

Not a huge Chipolte fan.. but I like Moe's a lot. Their Steak Taco and Queso is quite good.

Also loving Jersey Mikes over any other sub place any day. Fresh cut meats and cheeses is def. the way to go.