ramen noodles?

Options
So I love me some ramen noodles. lol..but are they kinda okay for you? I know they aren't the best thing obv. but if you eat just one pack and you haven't had any in like forever its not gonna make me gain weight right? lol might be silly to ask. & of course im gonna fit them into my calories & not go over.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I love ramen noodles! The problem with ramen noodles is the sodium. Make sure to get a brand with no MSG, and maybe use less than the full packet of flavorings. Once in a while isn't going to hurt you, but be aware that you'll probably experience some water retention just due to the high sodium.
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    if it is your choice of sin(so to speak lol) go for it lol... it is HIGH in sodium so make sure you get extra water in... but my opinion is you have to have something you like every now and then... now don't go have 2-3-4 packages lol
    but 1 is alright in my humble opinion!
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Sodium Sodium Sodium! There is tons of sodium in ramen. Plus I don't think they are very nutritious. The bang for your buck is great but its kind of wasted calories. There are some lower sodium versions. But you'd be better off buying a healthy choice can of soup.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    they are ok to eat, not great for you by any means, especially due to the sodium. And as the person above said expect some swelling, try to counteract that with some extra water and maybe watermelon as it acts as a diuretic. If you want to make it more healthy add chopped veggies that will always boost the nutrition.
    And thanks because now I want ramen so bad, Im going to go have one from my husbands stash!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    They are awful for you. However, I think it is ok to 'splurge' once in a while.... I think it's kinda funny that you want to splurge with ramen noodles. When i want to splurge, I want cake or pizza or something..... not a little package of noodles! ;) But yea, go for it, I would probably only have that once or twice a month - and chances are if you stop eating it, they won't even taste that good when you do eat them -- this has happened to me on most things I used to eat1 :)
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Ramen has the nutritional density of a cardboard box. Besides the extremely high sodium there is also the lack of any real nutrients or vitamins.

For me, if I eat Ramen I'm going to be hungry again in an hour or less. That being said, if you love them and want to have them then have at it. No use in denying yourself something every now and then.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    If you have to have Ramen noodles, try the "Nissin Choice Ramen Noodles", they are not fried in fat, and taste just as good and cook just as easy. I sometimes bring them to work and cook them in the microwave., for less sodium (if sodium bothers you), just use half the seasoning pack. .... all though now that I am looking for them, it looks like the "Choice" line is being discontinued, ... If you can find some in your local stores stock up!..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_nutrition_facts/2072179?date=2011-11-18&show_controls=true
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Try making your own version of ramen...use chicken broth, sea salt (other seasonings you like), add some snowpea pods, thinly cut mushrooms, green onion, or whatever veggies you like, also tamari sauce, and add your favorite chinese noodle, like lo mein, or japanese noodle- like a buckwheat soba noodles!

M
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So I love me some ramen noodles. lol..but are they kinda okay for you? I know they aren't the best thing obv. but if you eat just one pack and you haven't had any in like forever its not gonna make me gain weight right? lol might be silly to ask. & of course im gonna fit them into my calories & not go over.

Ramen are a highly processed carbohydrate. When you purchase these noodles, they are a FRIED noodle..... The sodium pack makes it extremely worse...

If you want noodles, I would definitely consider making them homemade or purchase them fresh at a local asian store that carries them...