CHOLESTEROL RESULTS

Options
So after years of obesity, my cholesterol reading for LDL was elevated and I was put on Zocor in May 2011.

I just had the first follow-up bloodwork and was told that my numbers are HIGHER than before!

I don't have the initial numbers the current #'s are: TOTAL: 219, HDL: 80, TRIGLYCERIDES: 76, LDL: 124, CHOL/HDLC RATIO: 2.7.

Also, of concern is my C-Reactive Protein Level of 8.2

Questions:
1) I wasn't told WHEN to take the Zocor so I took it in the morning and JUST found out you're supposed to take it at night~ still, would that make the medication NOT work at all? My Doctor, husband and I all think it might not be the BEST way to take it but it should have done SOMEthing. What do you all think?

2) The LDL is the one that my Doc is most concerned with and in all the "searching" I've done on it, I do not have an abundance of ANYthing that would raise it in my diet. I am allergic to Beef but DO eat lean pork in the "red" meat category.
Anyone have any input on what to add, subtract to my diet to help the process?

3) While we're on the subject of food, I looked up the American Heart Association diet and DASH diets and the calories are very high and the protein is VERY low, with the carbs being off the chart! Anyone following one of these and actually losing weight?

My doc's plan is for me to continue to take the Zocor but in the evening and continue to lose weight and exercise.
I guess my main frustration is that I've LOST 20 pounds and NOW I have Cholesterol? And the entire time I've been on the Zocor I've been losing weight and my results are worse?

Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I had my doctor readings this week. I don't remember the numbers any more, but I had a borderline high LDL. My doctor told me that because my triglycerides are low, it wasn't coming from diet. She told me 60 minutes of vigorous activity 5 days a week would bring that into the normal range again.

Sounds like it might help you as well :)
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My husband's cholesterol was through the roof. His doctor had him on not one but two meds for this. Still wasn't helping.

Then he suggested, fish oil. Now his levels are great! And no more cholesterol 'meds'.

Now, that said, I am not telling you to take fish oil. I am just saying what helped him Everyone's body is different. And only you and your doctor know what is best.

Hope you find what is right for you.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump (for after work)
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Both of you and I DO take Fish Oil (the Doc asked me that too).

Pam, I think you have a GREAT point about exercise and I've also been seeing that LDL Cholesterol is the "inherited" one and may have nothing to do with food.

I was just so stunned with the results.......
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Your cholesterol numbers are fabulous, your Dr. obvioulsy focusing on LDL which is a red herring and why they have you on statins......your HDL is through the roof, and that is what is important when it comes to the relationship. Talk to a Dr. that specializes in lipids as opposed to someone that freely perscribes statins based on a single marker like LDL.........and you'll get a better assesment.