MFP now saying 1250 calories/day? Is this healthy?

Options
2»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I started at 197 (5'4") and it's always had me at 1200 cal/day. I usually stay at 1000 - exercise 400cal/day 5-6 times a week ( I don't eat back my exercise calories and I DO use a HRM) and am very satisfied. I log my food every day in detail. I have lost 38 lbs as of today with 14 more to go. I am losing between 1 - 1.5 lbs per week with a couple of no loss weeks.

It's different for everybody. I know people say I'm not eating enough. I eat mostly unprocessed foods - fresh chicken, fish, fruits & vegies. I'm not going to eat just to get calories in.

Extremely unhealthy way to lose weight. I would suggest upping your calories. You may be losing 1-1.5/week but your deficit would suggest that you should be losing 2-2.5. since you are not this tells me your metabolism has already begun to slow down. Try following MFPs guidelines for 3-4 weeks then re-evaluate. What you are doing is going to cause your body to burn a large % of lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing.

with only 15ish lbs to lose your goal should be to lose no more than 1lb/week otherwise like I stated above a large % will be lean muscle:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

MFP is about healthy weight loss and a diet that has you at 600 Net calories (1000-400) is not safe or healthy.