Gained 4 Lbs. Not sure why...

Options
Ok, over the last 7 days, I have consumed 11,479 calories and burned 2,570 calories through exercise for an average daily net calories of 1,273. I have gained 4 lbs. Last Friday, I was 138.5 and now I am 142.5. What what what am I doing wrong? I can't figure this out for the life of me. I would appreciate any insight into what I am doing wrong and what I need to be doing to change this.

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Your body will retain more water and acids in the muscles if you are strenuously working out to allow for repair. . So just make sure that you are drinking plenty of water and it will come back down soon I assure you.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    could be lots of reasons. for women, we have monthly fluctuations. also if you just started a new workout, ate a food or foods with lots of sodium, didnt drink much water, etc.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Your body will retain more water and acids in the muscles if you are strenuously working out to allow for repair. . So just make sure that you are drinking plenty of water and it will come back down soon I assure you.

I've always chalked up my consistent weekend 3-lb. weight gain to just eating more salt on the weekends, because my calorie count is still low. But this is good to know, because I also work out 4-6 hours over the course of the weekend so maybe part of the water retention is due to that. Luckily I've tracked these patterns and know not to weigh on Saturdays or Sundays unless I want to be disappointed lol.
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I can say it is not due to monthly hormonal fluctuations ~ that was last week. I have not started any new exercise programs but I did run a few miles more than I normally do. Over the course of the week, my sodium intake is around goal but was higher the last few days. I have not kept track of my water consumption so maybe that is part of my problem. I will keep plugging away and see what happens.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    a variety of factors can affect what the scale says

the scale can be faulty - as it is susceptiable to changes in heat and humidy depending on where you store it - on my weigh in day I weight myself three different times and take an average of the three as MOST times it varies by .25 to a full pound each of the 3 times I weight.

working out - if you have done a workout your muscles will retain water and nutrients to help them "repair" after a workout...I can see as much as a lb difference if I weigh myself the day after one of my kickboxing workouts (at 8-9 at night - so I weight myslef less than 12 hours later)

what you eat - if you are eating stuff with a lot of sodium that can cause your body to hold on the nutrients and water weight

what you drink - not getting enough water won't allow your body to flush out waste...no flushing means waste is just sitting there in your body...taking up space and adding weight...
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I see where you eat a bananna every day. Some say that they are not good for you and cause weight gain? You might try substituting another fruit for a couple of days and see if it corrects itself.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I see where you eat a bananna every day. Some say that they are not good for you and cause weight gain? You might try substituting another fruit for a couple of days and see if it corrects itself.

Actually the potassium in bananas is excellent for getting rid of water retention, as well as being full of fibre.

They are full of sugar so eating more than one or two a day wouldn't be advisable but who on earth told you they weren't good for you??