I'm losing muscle!!!!

Options
I started tracking my body fat% back in the beginning of June. Since then I've lost 13 more pounds but only 7.32 lbs is fat loss; the other 5.68 lbs is lean body mass (muscle). I'm only losing about 2 lbs a month so I'm not starving myself. I am doing some weight training about twice a week. Although, I admit I'm not always consistent. But why am I losing so much lean mass? I'm getting very frustrated being stuck at 26+ % body fat. BTW, I am verifying my BF% by having the Bod Pod done every 3 months. What in the heck is going on?

Replies

• daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Eat more protein. Lots or protein (1 to 1.5 grams per pound of muscle)
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    how much protein are you eating?

To low calorie consumption, and/or to low protein levels will start to eat into your muscle mass also.

(1 gram roughly per lb of lean body mass is a good rough range)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would look at your protein intake first (in grams), and I would probably also look at your training methods. I would also look at your deficit compared to your current weight. (<---- scratch that last one, reading comprehension failed me there).

If you can share the above info, you may get more specific answers.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I am eating LOTS of protein. I get anywhere from 100 to 140 grams of protein a day. I'm also eating back all of my exercise calories and my deficit is only set to 250 calories a day.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When you're on a calories deficit, you burn muscle and fat. You can help maintain the muscle you have by working out.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I am eating LOTS of protein. I get anywhere from 100 to 140 grams of protein a day. I'm also eating back all of my exercise calories and my deficit is only set to 250 calories a day.

How heavy are you lifting and what is your lifting routine like?
    Can you add an additional lifting day to your program?
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I hear you..I am almost 40 pounds lost..but only 3% BF loss....my nutritionist put me on a low carb diet (Paleo). In the last 15 days I have managed to lose 5 pounds..but wont know till Dec 6th how much of that is was fat...
  • jtintx
    Options
    I would look at your protein intake first (in grams), and I would probably also look at your training methods. I would also look at your deficit compared to your current weight. (<---- scratch that last one, reading comprehension failed me there).

I currently weigh 130 lbs. My body fat % is 26.6. I do cardio 6 days a week. I run about 35-40 miles a week currently (training for a marathon). I also usually bike 2-3 times a week. But I eat back ALL of my exercise calories. I am NOT starving myself. This is so frustrating. I love to compete in athletics but dragging around this extra body fat is getting old.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Protein and some moderate weight training to at least maintain your current muscle mass. If you are not using those muscles your body can look at any extra muscle as optional. Personally as long as my strength is not decreasing I am not concerned about specific lbs of muscle mass.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so can't comment on how much you're eating. To lose fat instead of muscle, eat more than your BMR and do strength training. plain and simple!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options

I currently weigh 130 lbs. My body fat % is 26.6. I do cardio 6 days a week. I run about 35-40 miles a week currently (training for a marathon). I also usually bike 2-3 times a week. But I eat back ALL of my exercise calories. I am NOT starving myself. This is so frustrating. I love to compete in athletics but dragging around this extra body fat is getting old.

You need to do more than just cardio.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Although, I admit I'm not always consistent.
  • jtintx
    Options

How heavy are you lifting and what is your lifting routine like?
    Can you add an additional lifting day to your program?
    I am lifting pretty heavy...can only do about 10-12 reps of any given weight. Once I can do more than that I bump up the weight. I do full body - but sometimes I leave out the legs if I have a long run the next day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What is your weekly weight loss goal set at?

With so little left to lose the smaller the deficit the better, as you would lose less muscle as a % of total weight loss. I would suggest setting your goal at 0.5lbs/week.

Here is a guide to setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

edited to note: sorry I see that you are already set at this amount. Maybe try changing your activity level to a higher level and try eating even more.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I am lifting pretty heavy...can only do about 10-12 reps of any given weight. Once I can do more than that I bump up the weight. I do full body - but sometimes I leave out the legs if I have a long run the next day.

Is it an option to swap out a day of cardio for another lifting day, or does this screw your marathon training?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    -Bodyfat measurements are often inaccurate.

-Anything that is not fat is considered "lean mass," including water.
  • jtintx
    Options

Is it an option to swap out a day of cardio for another lifting day, or does this screw your marathon training?
    My marathon is the first week of December. I plan on adding one more day of lifting after that. I will also start swimming again then.
    -Bodyfat measurements are often inaccurate.

-Anything that is not fat is considered "lean mass," including water.
    That's why I get my BF% checked with the Bod Pod. It is on par with hydrostatic weighing.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think maybe all the cardio may be having an affect on your muscle. Too much can eat away at your muscle tissue from my understanding.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    With extensive endurance training you will lose a lot of muscle mass. It comes with the territory... That's why you don't see bulked up kenyans setting world record paces. Once you finish your marathon you can switch focuses to strength training to work on retaining your muscle mass or turn towards a billing cycle to help regain any lost mass. Many endurance athletes do this over the "off" season.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    or turn towards a billing cycle to help regain any lost mass.

Heh. That'd be great if I could send people bills and get paid, and put on muscle.

=)

(No grammar police here sir, just found that funny).