Getting sick keeps holding me back!

Options
A few months back I was doing an amazing job at working out. I'd lost 20 lbs... and then got strep throat (which took THREE rounds of antibiotics to get rid of). I wasn't able to keep up my workout regimen, and got way off track. Gained back 10 of those pounds, and it took me a while to start back up again. I've been going good for a month now, and--- I'm getting sick.

Anybody have advice on what to do to stay on track while taking care of myself so that I can actually get better?

Replies

• Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have advice ont he sick.. every time you feel like you have something going on.. take airborne 3 times a day til symtoms subside.. always works for me for some reason.
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you find out, let me know! I was doing good at working out, and then got bronchitis, and it has been holding on for about a month now... so not cool.
  • grannisue
    Options
    I have advice ont he sick.. every time you feel like you have something going on.. take airborne 3 times a day til symtoms subside.. always works for me for some reason.

Airborne is amazing. The first sign of a sore throat, sniffles etc. Doesn't hurt to try it and you may find it works for you as it does for my hubby and me. We out to buy stock in the company. LOL
  • HouseTargaryen
    Options
    If you get sick, about the only thing you can do is watch what you eat. I wouldn't suggest working out or anything.. :frown:
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon. It's just that time of year again. Try to take vitamins and talk to your Doctor
    Also i heard that working out can clear up your sinuses when you have a head cold. But also get your rest!

Research shows that several positive changes occur in the immune system as a result of regular exercise:

* Moderate exercise lowers stress hormones; stress hormones can suppress immunity.
    * People who exercise report fewer colds than those who are sedentary.
    * Near daily exercise cuts the number of sick days in half during a 12- to 15-week period.

GET WELL SOON XOXOX
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Emergen C - its a powder vitamin that you mix with water. I feel amazing!!! I work 2 jobs and my own business plus have 2 kids and a husband to take care of.. so lately I have been very run down. A friend of mine told me about them and they are amazing!!
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Not a lot of clinical studies on this one (probably because it is not profitable for drug companies) but take 4000-5000 iu of Vitamin D daily. This is especially important during these darker months. Since I have been doing this I have been sick once in 3 years and even then I was over it in just a couple days.
  • twinstondawkins
    Options
    Part of working out is eating healthy and drinking lots of water. I have noticed I am getting sick less because i drink so much water I am in bathroom at least once an hour; which means I am washing my hands all day long. Plus I keep antibacterial hand cleaner at my desk and constantly am using it before or after eating or whatever. I think you have to try to stop the sickness before it comes and like others said airborne may work (never tried). good luck
  • Pinupdollrawr
    Pinupdollrawr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I am sick now. You shouldn't work out while having chest colds,congestion or bronchitis, it makes everything worse. It actually drops your immune system lower. If your that sick your best bet is to go to the doctor right away and have them look at it to see if you need antibiotics. You can also take preventative measure and take a multivitamin as well as extra vitamin c a day to prevent. and orange juice doesn't cut it.
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    When you're working out, you need to make sure you're getting sufficient fuel and rest in order to stay healthy. If you get run down, you will get sick. And if you're REALLY run down, it will be hard to shake whatever you come down with.

So I agree with taking it easy when you get sick and just continue to watch what you eat. Then when you recover, you need to CONTINUE to get enough rest and eat right so you don't get sick again!!

In my house, it's not only ME getting sick that is holding me back, but the whole family. I'm the work-at-home mom who can stay in my jammies all day if I want to, so I have the pleasure of taking care of everyone when they get sick. And my son has been sick 3 times in the last 2 weeks. My daughter was also sick once during that time too. And me once too. And the hubby twice. Basically, I'm saying that the last 3 weeks have been completely shot... Oh well, 'tis the season and all that...

Get well soon!
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I've been laid up all week due to a nasty sinus infection that caused me to cancel my personal training appointments and kept me from leaving my bedroom for almost a week.

I haven't been exercising while sick, and I wouldn't suggest it to you, either. Your body is already taxed trying to fight off an infection, and all that work becomes much easier while relaxing and resting. And even though it's easy to say, "Well since I can't exercise, I won't eat much" but that isn't conducive to recovery, either. Your body will need more calories while fighting off an infection because even though you may be in bed all day, your immune system is working double time trying to get you better.

So take it easy, keep yourself hydrated, and try to meet your calorie goal with healthy foods. As long as you stay under your basal metabolic rate, you won't gain any weight during this time. You can always focus on loss once you are healthy again, don't tax your body any more than it already is!

I hope you feel better!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I've been sick, too and think it's finally gone. My first return workout was yesterday. While sick, I just kept vigilance of my cals. intake.