PLATEAU!!!

Options
I think I hit a plateau. I got to my goal weight of 125, and then weighed myself on tuesday and was back up to 130. I am 5ft 1 and 32 yrs old, but rather muscular so I have always been towards the higher end of a healthy BMI. However, I feel really stuck and unhappy at 130. I go to the gym five days a week. I try my hardest to eat healthy and in reasonable portions. My family is celebrating my birthday tomorrow and I insisted that my mother not bake a cake so I wouldn't be tempted to eat it.
Not sure how to mix it up a bit to get myself back on track and I am feeling very frustrated right now....

Replies

• susanmax
    Options
    When you go to the gym do you do the same type of workout over and over? If so, you could try to change it up...take a high impact aerobics class. Just working different muscles than you generally do could help you break through your plateau! Good luck!
  • Meggy247
    Meggy247 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think a plateau is usually longer than 1 week, more like 6 weeks. It could be anything like AF as that ups the scale for me at least.
    Maybe now that you are so close to goal you need to up your calories?
    Have you experimented with eating all or half your exercise calories consistently for 2 weeks?
    Personally, I'm all about having treats in moderation and if it's your birthday I don't see anything wrong with having a piece and tracking and accounting for it of course.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Looking into your diary I think that your true weight may be being masked by water weight. As you only need to lose 5lbs perhaps you are better getting your body fat checked and work on reducing your percentage rather than trying to lose on the scales. If you eat too much sodium you will show heavier on the scales...if you have done strength training you will 'hold water' in your muscles & show a plus on the scales...but in reality you are probably actually losing body fat....also as you say you are a muscular build anyway you could probably benefit by eating a few 'more calories' rather than less as your RMR will be higher than someone without a muscular frame.
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    I hit a nasty plateau for months - like 4 to 5 months. My only form of exercise was running until recently. I picked up Turbo Jam again, started doing elliptical and I joined this website. The scale is FINALLY moving again. YAY!!! I would definitely recommend different forms of exercise.
  • kegonzales
    Options
    Change up your routine completely and try swimming. This uses completely different muscles and might be the crossover training that you need to lose that last bit. You've done a great job so far and should be very proud of your accomplishment.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I do do high impact exercise-usually my workout regimen includes two days a week of step aerobics (I use the bench and two risers) and two days a week of kickboxing. The fifth day usually is either shadow boxing at home or a combo of stair climber and walking at a steep incline on a treadmill.
    I have been looking at the class schedule at the gym to see if there are other classes that might peak my interest, but the only other thing they offer that I don't do cardio wise is Zumba, and I have two left feet and feel REALLY self concious trying to dance, so I'm not sure about that one. I'd love to swim (I swam on the team in high school) but I don thave access to a pool (sob).
    I am going to research new weight training routines, I think I'm getting bored with my current exercises.

As far as the food, I guess I could take a closer look at my sodium, maybe I am retaining.

Also thinking about looking into a heart rate monitor seeing as my fitbit broke and I'm not so sure about investing in another one. Gotta do some reasearch...