I need to buy a new computer!!!

2»

Replies

• Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    My next computer will be an Apple, and all computers going forward for that matter.

I am happy with my Asus for now, though.. At the time I was crammed in school and I just couldn't deal with adapting to the Apple life.

Everyone I know who has an Apple loves it and said they'd never go back to PCs.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    I bought a Mac and love it. I never see the "blue screen of death". It runs great. Best way to test one is to go to an Apple store. If you get one, they'll help you set it up, transfer files, etc. They have some of the best customer service (at least at the Apple store near me) around.

If you buy a Mac, get the One-to-One service. You pay $99, and for one year you can take as many "classes" and one-to-one sessions at the nearest Apple store as you want. They'll teach you how to use all the software, digital photography, movies, etc. It's been totally worth it because it helped me to understand my Mac and use it more effectively. Not really helpful if you don't have an Apple store nearby, though, so check that first.

Good luck...there are so many choices it can be difficult to narrow down.

Good to know! I'll keep this in mind.. Thank you for the information! :flowerforyou:
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    One To One service for $99?

The is no need for a service like that in this day and age for simply using an OS. The are all sort of Youtube video guides and Google to help you with that these days, obviously if you're really computer illiterate then I'd recommend it but for most people you'd be able to get on fine just by using the internet resourcefully.

& I say that as someone that gets called out to help people with their computers/mac's and get money from it. I always leave them a piece of paper with tips of how to find things on the internet & I always get told months down the line 'thanks I no longer rely on others and spending money learning how to get the most of my machine' and these people aren't computer wizzes they are the sort of people that called me up to install a piece of anti virus software and clear their internet history. I hate seeing people being exploited like that!

What OS's does your software work on? Often software like that doesn't work on Mac's
    I think that's the key thing we got to keep focused on here in this persons case & that is compatibility!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I was a total PC person and drug my feet about Apple. Last Christmas my husband bought me a Macbook Pro and I gotta say I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I don't have any of the issues I did with PC. You have to get used to the different ways of doing things, but once you do you'll never go back.

If budget is an issue I still like my old Dell laptop too, it's a good workhorse!
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    I was a total PC person and drug my feet about Apple. Last Christmas my husband bought me a Macbook Pro and I gotta say I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I don't have any of the issues I did with PC. You have to get used to the different ways of doing things, but once you do you'll never go back.

If budget is an issue I still like my old Dell laptop too, it's a good workhorse!

But look at this way, how much did your old Dell Laptop cost?

That's the thing most people seem to oversight when comparing PCs to macs
  • If you are computer savvy enough I'd recommend buying the parts yourself and building your own. If you can't go that route, check the prebuilt PC's on newegg. I hear ibuypower and cyberpower are decent gaming PC's. My friend got a cyberpower and didn't cost too much more than if he built it himself.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    No, I am not computer savvy .. not at all. I not only have to buy new hardware, but I have to transfer data. So, I pretty much need to buy from a reliable source to help me through this transition.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    One To One service for $99?

The is no need for a service like that in this day and age for simply using an OS. The are all sort of Youtube video guides and Google to help you with that these days, obviously if you're really computer illiterate then I'd recommend it but for most people you'd be able to get on fine just by using the internet resourcefully.

& I say that as someone that gets called out to help people with their computers/mac's and get money from it. I always leave them a piece of paper with tips of how to find things on the internet & I always get told months down the line 'thanks I no longer rely on others and spending money learning how to get the most of my machine' and these people aren't computer wizzes they are the sort of people that called me up to install a piece of anti virus software and clear their internet history. I hate seeing people being exploited like that!

What OS's does your software work on? Often software like that doesn't work on Mac's
    I think that's the key thing we got to keep focused on here in this persons case & that is compatibility!

I personally prefer to learn hands-on. And it's very convenient for me to be able to sit down with my Macbook Pro and an Apple trainer and say, "This is what I want to do, now show me how." I can ask them questions as I go through. I felt like it was $99 well-spent. I still have about 6 months left on mine and will take some more classes after Christmas when things quiet down. I prefer this method to having to scour the Internet to find what I'm looking for. For example, when Apple came out with the Lion OS, I went and took a class on it with my laptop in hand. I learned a lot more in that hour than I would have if I'd had to watch all their tutorial videos online.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    I am not a computer tech at all really know very little but I know enough to say I gave my Dell PC laptop to my son because I never used it once I got my Mac. I now have. PC that no one uses a Mac and a iPad. Go with Mac you will love it.
  • dimpleschick
    dimpleschick Posts: 85 Member
    I LOVE my mac. Once you get used to the operating system, they are far easier to use than a PC. Also if you have an iPhone, they will talk to each other and download everything you want from one to another. Very good free technical support for the first three months you own it--although you will wait on the line for a while.

I have a 13" macbookpro. You won't get a price break, but you will have an excellent computer for years to come.
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    I just got a new Dell Inspiron 15" from Newegg.com for about $700. Intel i5 process, 8gb ram, 750gb hard drive & Windows 7 64 bit. I have a Newegg preferred card and used it to get 12 months same as cash. My opinion of Apple is I like that their OS in based on BSD but they want way too much money for their stuff.

You get what you pay for.

Enjoy buying a new dell in a year. POS company.

Considering it's what I do for a living, I'm not too worried about it. But thanks for your input.