What time of day do you weigh the least?

Options
I'm a compulsive weigher. I weigh pretty much every time I use the bathroom but I don't let it get me down. I just give the scale the finger and move on with my day and I only officially weigh in once a week.

I have noticed patterns in my daily weight fluctuations and am a little puzzled that I often weigh the most first thing in the morning. From what I've read, it seems most people are at their lowest in the mornings.

I drink on average a gallon of water a day and am usually pretty ok on sodium except for the occasional pizza night ;). I notice when I wake up, my wedding ring is pretty snug and loosens up throughout the day. Lately when I shower late in the day (I work in the evenings), I will take my ring off because I worry it might slip off in the shower. This makes me wonder if I retain water at night and it takes a couple of hours of being awake to start flushing things through.

I also usually exercise in the mornings. My regular routine is to exercise, eat lunch, do some prep work for work (I'm an adjunct instructor), take a shower and get ready to leave. This is when I am usually at my lowest weight for the day (~4pm), which can be a difference of up to 4lbs from first thing in the morning. This makes me think besides the water, the exercise and lunch gets my metabolism going. I am skeptical about this bc I don't think metabolism works like that. Reving up to burn 4lbs in a matter of 4-5 hours? I thought it was more of an average type thing and those 4lbs are usually back by the next morning.

Anywhooooo, just wondering how logical my logic is or if I'm just making stuff up to make myself feel better? Anyone else notice similar patterns?

Replies

• NicolioRussell
    Options
    I think you should weigh yourself once a week, silly :-P

I have noticed that I weigh MORE on Mondays than I do come Fridays (this is usually from having too much fun with food on the weekend).......and I weigh the least in the AM after I've visited the bathroom and before hopping in the shower.

It's possible that you're not able to flush everything out before bed. Do you eat right before bedtime?
  • Lokisul
    Options
    First thing in the morning I go to the toilet, then I go straight to the scales. At THIS point I weigh the lowest for the day and take a reading, its normally good news :)

Of course this is before the shower lol
  • gemmie_c
    gemmie_c Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm always lighter in the mornings. I get up, pee (try for something more-every little helps...TMI I know) strip to my birthday suit and hope on.

I can fluctuate so much throughout the week and I see no harm in weighing every day so long as what you see doesn't de-motivate you. For me, this week-I weighed 3.5 lbs heavier than I did today (good job weigh in day is Friday!). I ate at a friends place on Wednesday and suspect there was lots of hidden sodium in it. I drank three or four more glasses of water and green tea than I normally would and bingo. The body fluctuates all the time. I just think its important to weigh yourself under the same conditions every week (time, clothing. toilet etc).
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Do you eat late at night? I weigh lowest in the afternoon/early evening and highest in the morning, but that's because I eat my one meal quite late at night (I do IF and have a weird work/school schedule). I also know my weight status by checking my wedding band lol. Mine is also more snug in the morning and loosens once I've had some water and coffee.

I don't really know the logic behind the rest of it. I always weigh quite a bit more right after exercising because I drink so much water and apparently don't sweat out that much even though I feel like I do. So I don't know how you manage to drop a bunch after eating and exercising lol.
  • rrtnrn
    rrtnrn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm like most that have replied. As soon as I get up, I pee, strip, and then weigh. My lowest is always first thing in the morning, but I usually don't eat after 7pm.
  • smilingrn
    smilingrn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Definitely in the a.m. after going to the bathroom and wearing what you came into the world with!
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a similar pattern as the original poster. When I first started I was testing out the water and I found my weighing in the morning was more than if I weighed myself when I got home before the gym and dinner. I'm not sure why this happens, but I nearly always go with the afternoons- its easier for me to do it then than getting up earlier....
  • michellelay
    Options
    I am compulsive with my weighing. I am my lightest in the morning.

I am also an adjunct instructor. What do you teach?