Steamer and Rice cooker recommendations?

Options
Hi all.
Much to my sadness, my rival automatic steamer and rice cooker (that we bought in 1993) bit the dust this morning. It's had a good long life, full of happiness for all that have used it, but now it's moved on to a different place now.

I'm looking for a new one please. I think my budget caps out at $50, since I plan on asking for it as a Christmas pressie.
I need one that will make rice, hard boil eggs, and steam veggies. Anything else is a plus.

I'm searching through reviews on Amazon too, but it occurred to me that many of you fine people probably use a steamer and might be willing to point me in a good direction.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• dawnmfp
    Options
    About a year ago I bought an Aroma rice cooker/steamer at Costco for about $40. It's been working really well.
  • mwoneis
    Options
    About a year ago I bought an Aroma rice cooker/steamer at Costco for about $40. It's been working really well.

I have one of these also that we got at Wal-Mart for about the same price. Works amazing!!
  • amerrill1
    Options
    bump
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Not quite what you asked *but*
    I just bring some water to boil, throw in the rice, give it a quick stir, drop the temp to low on the gas stove and then put the lid back on. I set the timer for 25 minutes and when it beeps, I turn off the burner and let the rice sit for 5 - 10 minutes while I get everything else ready.
    We usually make white Jasmine/Thai rice.
    I'm no gourmet but I think it turns out fine this way and it's pretty simple.
    Just trying to save you a few bucks on that steamer. ツ
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Not quite what you asked *but*
    I just bring some water to boil, throw in the rice, give it a quick stir, drop the temp to low on the gas stove and then put the lid back on. I set the timer for 25 minutes and when it beeps, I turn off the burner and let the rice sit for 5 - 10 minutes while I get everything else ready.
    We usually make white Jasmine/Thai rice.
    I'm no gourmet but I think it turns out fine this way and it's pretty simple.
    Just trying to save you a few bucks on that steamer. ツ

I do appreciate the advice. I am looking for a new steamer/rice cooker combo. I know it's possible to make rice on the stove, but I have never been able to get it right. I just get too distracted cooking the rest of the meal, and everything goes to hell haha.
    That, and I love that my steamer made hardboiled eggs for me. Again, I know I *can* cook them on the stove (just did, since it broke) but the simplicity of tossing eggs and water in and hitting "start" beats all. So hoping to find a new model that does all that for me.

I will look into the aroma one for sure.
    Thanks!
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I just bought an Aroma for $30 at Costco. My last rice cooker/steamer was also Aroma brand and it lasted 20 yrs!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I looked at the reviews for the Aroma, and am for sure going to get one of those, or hopefully santa will get me one ;)