Does morning workout burn more fat?

Options
I heard that if you workout in the morning before breakfast that your body burns fat, whereas if you workout after a meal or later in the day your body is burning calories you just consumed and isn't using fat reserves. Anyone know how true this is or have had success working out in the morning rather than later in the day? Thanks!

Replies

• annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    can you put that in english? idk about that article, but if i workout in the mornings i feel better, get it done and out of the way and move on the other stuff and i just plain feel better during the day.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mroger801
    Options
    My doctor told me that when you work out first thing in the morning, it gives you more energy for the day and also gives your metabolism a kick start for the day. Not sure if its true or not, but I usually feel better and can get a better work out in when I do it in the a.m.
  • CMWhite84
    CMWhite84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    can you put that in english? idk about that article, but if i workout in the mornings i feel better, get it done and out of the way and move on the other stuff and i just plain feel better during the day.
    Exactly my thoughts! Thanks for the info but I can't translate and I'd like to think I'm fairly intelligent. :) Yeah I think it does make it easier to keep on track if I just get it done, then the rest of the day I'm less likely to binge cuz I already worked by tail off so why wreck it!
  • pmcder10
    Options
    Bump
  • kantone999
    Options
    The calories you ingest aren't immediately available to burn. They have to be metabolized. That said, if you eat honey (already glucose plus an enzyme which helps utilize it) it's more quickly available for usable fuel than say a baked potato.The muscles and brain burn glucose; the heart burns fat. You need both for optimum health.

Exercise (and general biological activity) call on the liver to release its glycogen stores for energy. As soon as you eat, they're replenished.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    from Lyle Mcdonald on the same subject (i associate this type of question with meaning fasted morning cardio)
    For the lean trying to get very lean (15% body fat or less for men, 22% or less for women), various strategies, including fasted cardio are probably going to be required to offset the mobization and blood flow defects. That’s why that specific group found decades ago that fasted morning cardio worked best.

But for folks who aren’t that lean yet, the folks in the middle range of body fat levels, it really doesn’t matter. The best time to do cardio will be whenever it will most consistently get done. If that’s first thing in the morning, fantastic. If not, also fantastic. It’s more important in this situation that it gets done than when it gets done.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    from Lyle Mcdonald on the same subject (i associate this type of question with meaning fasted morning cardio)
    For the lean trying to get very lean (15% body fat or less for men, 22% or less for women), various strategies, including fasted cardio are probably going to be required to offset the mobization and blood flow defects. That’s why that specific group found decades ago that fasted morning cardio worked best.

But for folks who aren’t that lean yet, the folks in the middle range of body fat levels, it really doesn’t matter. The best time to do cardio will be whenever it will most consistently get done. If that’s first thing in the morning, fantastic. If not, also fantastic. It’s more important in this situation that it gets done than when it gets done.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html

This^
    I had to switch to fasted AM cardio only after I got fairly lean because my PM training wasn't doing it for me anymore.
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings during the week otherwise I would have to be up at 4:00am to excerise and there is no way I can do that. I find this works for me because I am less likley to snack at night and I eat less at dinner. Also I sleep so soundly :yawn: I work out in the mornings on Saturday and Sunday to get it out of the way so I can have my weekends to enjoy :drinker: I persoanlly don't think it makes a difference when you work out just as long as you do. Whatever suits you :bigsmile: