Ideal weight

Options
Does anyone know the best possible way of determining what you're "ideal weight" should be? Other than calling up my doctor, I wonder if there is some information online that could help me out? I hate sifting through the hundreds of pages Google gives me.

I actually have no idea how much I'm "suppose" to weigh at my height.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the first result you get upon Googling "ideal weight" is a pretty good one. I've also seen calculators that take into account your lowest weight of your adult life, the weight you feel happiest at, etc. so I'll look for that one, too. But I think if you asked a doctor, they would point you to a weight similar to the one given by that first Google result.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I google dit and found a site that gave you your ideal weight and then also the weight that most people my age weigh. Interesting stuff.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Google is the best idea.

There is no "perfect" weight, it is all a range of weights.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Mmm I'd have to disagree and say that the first Google result that comes up is harshly inaccurate, which is why I am asking people to share information. Thanks though :)
  • crdav13
    crdav13 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, small framed and my doctor said she thought 130 would be a good weight for my height and frame.
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am starting with my BMI's recommended "normal" range and I'll see once I get there if i'm happy with the way I look or if I think it's too big/small. There's no "ideal" weight for everyone, because of body types but the height/weight match of BMI is generally pretty accurate for your average person (not athletes/bodybuilders etc).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb for a female is that at 5' you should be 100 lbs and at 5lbs per inch of height. This of course ignores muscle mass, so those with a small frame should be up to 10% lower and those with large frame or a lot of muscle mass up to 10% higher.

so if you are 5'4" the ideal would be 120lbs for medium frame and build (100+5*4), if you are small framed it would be 108 (0.9*120) and large frame or a lot of muscle up to 132 (120*1.1)

so at 5'4" the ideal weight should be in the range of 108-132 depending on frame and muscle.
  • kantone999
    Options
    For me, it's not an ideal weight so much as it's an ideal SIZE. I looked my best in a size 6 or 7. I weigh in but I don't really care how much I weigh. So far I've gone from a size 14 to an 8-9. That puts me 2 sizes from perfect for me but only halfway to my goal weight so you can see what I mean.

I'm extremely muscular, thanks to my tomboy roots so I'll probably always be overweight for those calculators. The thing for me is not to be overFAT. There's a difference. Hope this helps.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am starting with my BMI's recommended "normal" range and I'll see once I get there if i'm happy with the way I look or if I think it's too big/small. There's no "ideal" weight for everyone, because of body types but the height/weight match of BMI is generally pretty accurate for your average person (not athletes/bodybuilders etc).

This.
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Type in WebMD and go to their site. There is a BMI calculator and it will also give you a good indication of the ideal weight range. It is right on with my doctor, my information from Weight Watchers and several other places I get good information. Nothing is perfect and there is no perfect weight because there are too many differences in each one of us but this will give you a good idea of a good range for you. Then you must choose where you feel good in yourself. Best wishes on this journey.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Mmm I'd have to disagree and say that the first Google result that comes up is harshly inaccurate, which is why I am asking people to share information. Thanks though :)

It's based off BMI, so if you're someone with a lot of muscle, then I suppose you'd find it inaccurate. For the average person, however, it gives healthy weight ranges, the same ones my doctor always gives me and my husband.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My personal definition of "ideal weight" is the weight you're at when you're happy with how you look visually, AND your body is happy with the amount of food and exercise required to maintain that weight.

For instance, I might like how I look at 115# (in reality, I think I'd be too thin), but it's a weight that I can't easily maintain. I'd have to exercise like mad and/or always be a little hungry. So that's not a good weight for me. I can eat whatever I want and stay around 145#, but I'm not completely happy with how I look at that weight. Both weights are within a "healthy range" for my height, but my personal ideal is somewhere between the two.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the information folks
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I just did a search online for weight/height charts and I looked through about 10 sites. After looking at all of them I came to the conclusion that a good healthy weight FOR ME would be around 130-140. I kept a list of them and most of them were kind of on the low spectrum and I don't ever recall being that small.

I am 5'2", medium frame and 31 (almost 32) yrs. old.

freedieting.com - 110-114
    healthstatus.com - 109-136
    healthchecksystems.com - 118-132
    loseweightperm.com 117.8
    healthdiscovery.com - 118-132
    halls.md - 132
    lhj.com 109-122
  • akyraj2006
    akyraj2006 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    here is a page that i found just now. it has many charts for ideal weights. http://www.ideal-weight-charts.com/