Elliptical advice please

Options
I love using the elliptical machine but my feet go numb after awhile! I've tried different shoes and tying my laces differently without any luck. Last night I tried keeping my weight on the heel of my foot and it seemed to help but made my shins hurt. Any advice?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Very common. Try loosening your laces, and bending you leg and foot so that it doesn't stay flat on the pedals.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    Very common. Try loosening your laces, and bending you leg and foot so that it doesn't stay flat on the pedals.

^^this^^

It happens to me, so i just take it as an opportunity to work my calf muscles, too. Going up onto the ball of your foot when it's moving upward is helpful :)
  • martinh78
    Options
    Try a walking motion on the footbed, so finish your foot on the ball/toes as you would when walking. Watch a few others, see how they do it, or maybe a youtube video lol.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I always get numb feet when I do the elliptical. It's just one of those things I have to roll with.
  • Kimv123
    Kimv123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are not alone - I have the same problem with pain on the bottom of my feet when I use the elliptical. I try picking up my feet and moving them to different location. Very frustrating. I had the same problem years ago with skiing. Pain and numbness on the bottoms of my feet.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Another reason to hate the elliptical!
  • malaika1981
    malaika1981 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue! glad to hear someone else does and its nothing serious!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    there are different types of ellipticals, the type you use may not conform to your natural movement. My preference is the Precor AMT (which is like a combo of a stairstepper and elliptical, free range).
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    35-40 minutes on the thing will give me up to a 700 calorie burn
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i get the same thing, depending on the elliptical! i've found that when i increase incline, the numbness goes away. on ellips that don't have an incline adjuster, i have to keep the resistance really low or not use it.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Hi Phil,

I use the same one as Phil, the above poster. Sometimes I switch out the motion and go in a backwards step motion. That helps sometimes. But the numbing is normal. It always happens about the 20 minutes mark for me.
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I also experienced that! The others that mentioned it are right, you don't want to keep your feet flat. When you're pushing the pedal forward with one leg, lift that heel up. Same when the other foot comes down. If you keep it on your ball and not your heel, it puts a lot less pressure on your whole foot. I'm able to last a lot longer, however, my feet still get a tad sore. But it's much better.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

I use the same one as Phil, the above poster. Sometimes I switch out the motion and go in a backwards step motion. That helps sometimes. But the numbing is normal. It always happens about the 20 minutes mark for me.

I do this too! I usually switch it up every 10 minutes and go backwards for 2-3 minutes. It seems to avoid the numbness.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's really kind of an occupational hazard you learn to live with.

The reason I've heard for this, which makes sense, is that because your feet don't really move, they go numb. Mine are usually back to normal, though, as soon as I step off of it. I'm just used to it now.
  • tambamis
    tambamis Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    there are different types of ellipticals, the type you use may not conform to your natural movement. My preference is the Precor AMT (which is like a combo of a stairstepper and elliptical, free range).

I use the Precor - can't stand my feet being numb, can't be good for you.
    Or I try changing machines about every 15 - 20 minutes
    Good luck and keep going!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Numbness is due to constant pressure on the ball of you foot and heel. It's like laying your full weight on your arm for an extended period. As most said it's not uncommon for it to happen on an elliptical and also on stationary bikes.
    Take time to actually lift your feet off the pedals occasionally to keep circulation going.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm not alone in this! Yay! Good post!