How do you politely say no thanks on a food day at work?

Options
They had a food day at work and the people in this one area are really nice but I don't want to eat the food there.. I did bring something in. I made up a plate of desserts and plan on taking it home to my family. Is this rude? Why do I feel guilty? I just don't want to offend anyone but I just don't want to eat that stuff right now :) Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Just tell them everything looks delicious, but that you are on a strict diet. They should understand :)
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I am constantly asked if I would like this or that. Today I just got invited to a free lunch at the best BBQ place ever. I just politely decline. Everyone knows I eat healthy but they still offer to be nice.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Lol, I hate it when that happens. I just straight up say I'm on a diet.

(Of course then I hear all the 'Why? you're perfect!", "You're gonna look anorexic", "If you get skinnier, you're gonna die"- but whatever? Lol)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I just say no thank you, no explanation required. I'm not on a diet I just chose to change the way I eat. So if there were something there I LOVED I might have some but likely just junk so I skip it.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    looks great but I really can't cheat today- only cheat on my diet one day a month :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I just say "no thanks"

Disclaimer: My previous reputation as a bit of a jerk makes my semi-politeness less offensive, because I'm graded on a curve
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    we have food days at my office all the time. I don't think anyone really pays attention to who is eating the food and who isn't. We just had a food day on Wednesday. I brought a dip, but I didn't eat anything. Not only because I am trying to eat healthier (and there were no healthy options), but I also will not eat something you made if I do not know the state of cleanliness in your kitchen. That might be rude or weird, but I don't care.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    We had dinner at work last night....a rare thing.....I simply stayed in my room and heated my Lean Cuisine and said No thanks if anyone asked if I was coming to eat. People should respect other people's wishes to eat or not eat.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just say no thank you, no explanation required. I'm not on a diet I just chose to change the way I eat. So if there were something there I LOVED I might have some but likely just junk so I skip it.

^^^ agree! I am NOT on a "diet"! I have changed the way I eat! I drink a ton of water before being in these situations so I actually cringe at the thought of cramming in food! Lol - but no - really - 4-6 glasses so I "float" past all the goodies! :)
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    We recently had a potluck at work. I joined the group but brought my own lunch and didn't feel bad at all when I ate it. I watched them pile the food on their plates and thought "that used to be me". I felt better about myself that I stayed on track. But instead of bringing a dessert tray, next time maybe bring a veggie tray or fruit bowl. That way you can still hang with the group and munch a little.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else do this?

Most definitely. AND I worked with a guy (that was not dieting or tracking food) that refused to eat at luncheons or potlucks because he was freaked out about what was in the food and if it was clean / prepared properly. People have a lot of different reasons for not eating at potlucks. Personally, I am like you and take a small plate but end up taking it home to my hubby. The one thing that saves me if bringing a dish myself. I can make something super healthy to share and know exactly what is in it.

Eating to please others is just bad business. :(
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I faced this same dilemma yesterday. The manager serving red velvet cake w/ cream cheese icing at a 9am meeting! I declined twice and then they did ask me a 3rd time and I just took it. I ate part of it very slow - UGH - just to be nice. They did not pressure any of the men just the women pressuring women. Food/drinking/smoking they have all converted into this social thing that is hard to decline in that type of setting. I'm also the new person so after a few more months I will decline and won't bat an eye. Do not feel bad - at a potluck you can just bring your own food and eat it w/ them. They just want the social interaction.
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My company has a Thanksgiving luncheon, so my potluck item is always a big tossed salad (I bring in homemade dressing too). So I know I can at least eat that. Last year I ate with everyone, but was very picky about what (and how much) I put on my plate. I also packed a "back up" lunch in case there were no good choices. In my case I didn't have to use it :)
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    Options
    Whenever we have a potluck at work, I simply stay in my office until the food is put away. :smile:
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies I feel much better now! People kept coming over to me telling me to make a plate and walked me over! So so weird feeling because I made one but took it home LOL BUT it's ok to not eat the stuff and just take it home :) I feel good that I didn't :) here