Calling all nurses!

Options
Just curious to see how many nurses are on this site, I know with my crazy hours and schedule it can be hard to stick with a routine of getting a workout in, and eating right!

Replies

• LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm a nightshift RCA, does that count? :)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Ive been a nurse for 12 years. I usaully pack little snacks when I was on the floor so that I could keep them in my pockets (wrapped) and just munch it down really quickly when I got hungery
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Night shifter LPN
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on that one! It will be 2 years this December that I have been a nurse :)
  • Pattymac5000
    Pattymac5000 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Desk job. RN, JD
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am a second year student nurse but already stressing about how i will manage my weight and health working shifts
  • DeniseRich51
    Options
    I'm a night shift nurse in NICU
  • irongut99
    irongut99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    RN for 18+ years. I find I do way better at work, busy busy so no need to snack!! I also always take the stairs (6th floor).
  • smilingrn
    smilingrn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am a second year student nurse but already stressing about how i will manage my weight and health working shifts

I know where you are coming from! I have just been a nurse for 2 yrs now, but put on about 75 lbs alone while in school! Good to hear your getting a jump on it now while your in school!
  • smilingrn
    Options
    RN for 18+ years. I find I do way better at work, busy busy so no need to snack!! I also always take the stairs (6th floor).

Yea usually busy at my job as well, but then find myself eating bigger meals, or eating on go of not so good things lol
  • smilingrn
    Options
    I'm a night shift nurse in NICU

Getting ready to do a week of midnight shift next week myself...days with rotation.... This is the shift I am having the hardest time with eating well and getting in my workout since im primarily days.
  • MarandaPanda86
    Options
    Going to be graduating in May but already work at the hospital as a Nurse Intern (glorified CNA). I find that, yes, I am too busy to eat while working but sometimes the only thing you CAN grab is bad bad bad! I try to pick healthy stuff in the cafeteria, which is thankfully pretty easy thanks to their Healthy Employee initiative... But when you are hungry and probably grumpy, are you going to choose the healthy tilapia and broccoli or the yummy chicken parm and pasta? I am happy to say the healthy side *usually* wins :)
  • smilingrn
    Options
    Going to be graduating in May but already work at the hospital as a Nurse Intern (glorified CNA). I find that, yes, I am too busy to eat while working but sometimes the only thing you CAN grab is bad bad bad! I try to pick healthy stuff in the cafeteria, which is thankfully pretty easy thanks to their Healthy Employee initiative... But when you are hungry and probably grumpy, are you going to choose the healthy tilapia and broccoli or the yummy chicken parm and pasta? I am happy to say the healthy side *usually* wins :)

Yea I have been trying really hard to pack meals and snacks at home.
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a RN in L/D. I gained a ton of wt while working nights for 8 years. I'm now on days with a better schedule. I just had gastric bypass 11/7. I'm worried about getting my fluids and food in. I will def be carrying food in my pockets :)
  • trouse11
    trouse11 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    12 hour night shift RN on BMT unit. I too find it difficult to find time to excercise. BUT lately after I complete my blood draws I go and walk the stairs. In beginning on couldnt do two floors. NOW I am doing all 8 floors!! Any other ideas?
  • Leo_Joy_HG
    Leo_Joy_HG Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was a student child branch nurse for 2 and a half years but gave it up. I found my eating pattern went all over the palce with i was working shifts! (ended with an eating disorder, if i'm honest...)

I'm currently about to start work as a Healthcare Assistant and am a little apprehensive about going back to shift work!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    LPN x 8 yrs.....although I put my license on inactive status a year ago because I'm currently staying at home with my kids. I babysit now...
  • chchchristi7
    chchchristi7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a 2nd year nursing student at University of Hawaii at Hilo I really want to lose weight my goal weight is 115 lbs right now I am at 139. I graduate in may and have under 20 weeks to lose this weight! I need inspiration to stick to my calories and exercising. I need Help!!!
  • AddictedtoAerosmith
    AddictedtoAerosmith Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    RN in a busy Medical-Surgical ICU day shift. Hell or high water, you never know what you're going to walk into after you punch in...the vented, sedated, power of tower CVVHD & or IABP patient wth 50+ family members who fail to understand the visiting hours, or the two walkie talkie stable mables who do not need ICU care...all that matters to me is I have a fantastic work family to help me through the hell or high water code blue prevention, or the 500+ pound code brown patient who is an Interdry candidate....I love my job, hate my weight, sigh...peace & love ya'll nurse's! :wink: