Photography!! Digital SLR recommendations?

2»

Replies

• MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Total dunce but I enjoy taking pictures and messing around with Lightroom developing. Back in July, I was dead-set on getting another Canon until I held the Nikon D3100. Very happy with my purchase. My only suggestion is to go and get a feel for them locally ... and then buy it online. :wink: I priced-shopped between D&H Photo, Adorama and Amazon.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Which camera you use is the least important aspect in photography. What makes the biggest difference is composition, the lens used and proper use of the camera settings.

If you are going to primarily (only) use the camera in the "Auto" setting, then I'd suggest that you look at the interchangable lens point & shoots instead of a DSLR. The PnS body will give you the simplicty you are used to with the added benefit of having faster glass and more options for lens interchangabilty.

If you are going to use the Aperture (depth fo field control), Shutter (blur or stop motion) and Manual settings then look at a DSLR.

However, If you have no idea what "fast glass", "depth of field", or "motion blur" are, or you do not know the relationship between aperture and shutter speed; then I suggest you invest in a class before making an investment.

Once you have decided on how you are going to use your camera, then I suggest you go down to the stores and actually play with them. Check how the camera feels in your hands (both horizontally & vertically), and switch between the different settings. Whichever camera you get, it needs be very easy to switch between these settings without having to go into the menu and/or taking the camera away from your eye. Because if it's difficult, over time, you will stop using these settings.

Cameras I Own:
    Nikon D70S - IR Converted
    Nikon D200 - Ikelite Housing for underwater photography
    Nikon D700 - Full Frame DSLR - My primary camera
    Nikon S8100 - Point and Shoot
    Nikon F100 - 35mm film
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    I'm a photography student and I use an Olympus e420 most of the time, which does the job, but when I'm working in the studio up at uni I use Nikon's, but Canons are very good too if that's what you're leaning towards. Nikon's and Canon's are arguably, in my opinion, the top brands of SLR you can find :)

This is the Olympus I was referring to.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    @ellybean- Are you talking about the Sony Nex? I've been thinking about getting one of those as a beginner DSLR.

Sorry yes this is the one I was referring to. It has all the qualities of the other DSLRs and it's half the size. The zoom lens is about $100 more but WELL WORTH IT.. the quality of the pictures is amazing. It's a bit more expensive to walk out with the complete package, but very worth it!

(I didn't realize I didn't put the name down on my original post)

Best buy sells it with a bundle to save money too.. the lens with the bundle is only $100.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    I like Canon's lenses more than Nikon's. Love me some L glass, and I'll rent a piece about 1x/yr just to have some fun with it.