Calories in versus calories burned question:

Options
Ok, so my life is pretty sedentary (only for now). My question is this: I am trying to stay at 1200 cals. in (I am tracking very diligently), and right now only get cleaning and wii boxing for exercise. (Long story, but going through a break-up, depressed.. blah, blah). Should I take in even less calories since I'm not getting the exercise needed to burn the calories off. Yes, I know the ideal thing to do is to add more exercise but I literally have to force myself to do the little bit that I am doing because my body feels like a two-ton weight is holding it down and most days I don't even want to get out of bed. Any thoughts?

Replies

• edenjoy3
    Options
    1200 is the very minimum you are suppose to eat...your body is not being fueled properly if you eat under that amount. 1200 is already a deficit.
  • Chickman63
    Options
    Hang in there! Of course, eating less calories is one way to offset the lack of exercise. But I find it matters what I eat too. I eat a pretty raw diet (80%) and as a result, I don't have to be as diligent about portion sizes. The calories are so low, that it doesn't matter if I eat more raw spinach. the best advice I can give you is to get some help for your depression. As your Primary Care Doc about it. It will help you in so many respects!
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    Don't eat Less then 1200!
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    Remember MFP already calculated your calories with weight loss calculated in
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    hmm I think it's what your body burns naturally -- and as long as you do not drop -500 under what your body burns naturally (so you have 3500 = a lb a week) you are fine. *disclaimer* this is the information I have gathered from doing research about my own body frame. So if you naturally burn 1700 (by just breathing) then taking 1200 is not bad. Then add exercise that will give you the 2lb a week max.

If you have a larger frame, then find out what you burn naturally and substract 500 calories from that -- that should be your target. I agree, more exercise is ideal -- but you are right, at the end of the day is about how many calories make it in comparison to how many you burn (of course as long as you are not depriving your body)

Hope this helps! :)
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You should not eat less than 1200 on a regular basis. If you can really try to get a little more excercise. Excercise really helps with depression. Determination is really the way to get to your goals. You CAN do this. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • ShrinkyDinkie
    Options
    Im burning 2300 calories just living life and breathing, add in exercise and of course its more, so definitely eat ur 1200 calories minimum.