Getting water intake in.

Options
Sometimes, when I read the threads, I see a few people asking how to get their water intake in and that it is hard to do.
So, I thought I would give a tip that a coworker gave to me.

Take a sip of water between each bites of food. It also helps with filling you up. :)

When I first did this, I was rather surprised at how much I drank. It was roughly 4 cups of water.

EDIT: Though, quite a few posters have said that this may not be in one's best interest as it waters down digestive juices. But they have plenty of helpful tips, so I encourage everyone to scroll down to read them.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. :) You guys are awesome.

Replies

• ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    Another tip:
    Drink a full 16oz bottle of water before each meal.
    It really helps get that water in and it helps you to feel full sooner.

Keep pushing forward...
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm a water drinker... so this was easy. Just be prepared to pee.... ALL THE TIME!
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm a water drinker... so this was easy. Just be prepared to pee.... ALL THE TIME!

Set a glass or a bottle on your desk. You'll find yourself grabbing it just cause it's in eye sight.....

that should have been in the above comment.... sorry
  • tonyavanwinkle2
    tonyavanwinkle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I carry a Camelbak 24 oz pink water bottle every where I go, all day long. On average I drink 4-6 bottles a day. If I've had a serious workout I drink a lot more. This from someone who up until September drank only Pepsi and Tea. I am always over my 8 cups a day.
  • novaboi24
    novaboi24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    2 glasses per hour. Just look at the time and think. DOUBLE GLASSES TIME! Or just 1 every 30 minutes :P
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I am really trying to drink more water. I have a hard time with it but I totally overdid on the sodium yesterday and need to get rid of some of this water weight. I will try drinking a sip between each bite. I find that I can eat a whole meal without any liquids with no problem.
  • pboyd1963
    Options
    Thanks, because I HATE water. One of my friends suggest I carry a bottle of water in my car.
  • Espichick11
    Options
    Dr. Oz said glasses of water immediately before or after eating is not good because it washes away digestive enzymes which break down the fat in food....I dont know what to believe!
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I do remember studying those systems and he's correct. The last thing you want to do is water down your digestive juices.
    I drink most of my water in between meals.
    Of course, if you are thirsty, drink up!
  • nina4w
    nina4w Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Another tip:
    Drink a full 16oz bottle of water before each meal.
    It really helps get that water in and it helps you to feel full sooner.

Keep pushing forward...
    I heard this, too! :)
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I keep a 20oz pop bottle full of water with me by my machine at work. I make a point to finish at least one bottle of water each working quarter. On my days off I make a point to finish at least one bottle of water every 2 hours. With a bottle handy and the set goal it's easy for me to get my daily intake in. If I'm doing something very strenuous or if it's really hot where I happen to be, I drink a lot more. I love water.

I'm also finding the more water I drink, when I try to drink something really sweet as a treat, I find it to be way too sweet and only drink a little bit, so it does become a treat and not a habit.
  • nina4w
    Options
    2 glasses per hour. Just look at the time and think. DOUBLE GLASSES TIME! Or just 1 every 30 minutes :P
    XD Thanks for the tip! I think this will help me a lot because I'll be saying "Double Glasses time!" in tune with "Hammer time!"
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Drinking while you're eating can water down your digestive juices like the poster above me said, making the body produce more hydrochloric acid. I try not to drink any water for an hour or so before and after eating a filling meal (I will still drink water if I am eating relatively easy to digest foods like yoghurt, apple sauce, etc).

Okay, my tips. If you are watching TV have a big cup of water near you and chug from it every time the commercials come on.

If you are doing chores, take a sip of water every time you put a hand full of dishes away, or sweep the floor of one room, etc.

Carry a water bottle with you when you go out on errands and sip from it when you are waiting for the bus, waiting in line, waiting at a light, etc.

Eat lots of veggies and fruit full of water to up you daily intake (like cucumber and watermelon).

Add lemon or lime juice to your water to make it take different (or water flavours if your don't mind the artificial sweeteners) and drink lots of herbal teas.

Every time the phone rings or you phone someone, drink a cup of water.

Drink a cup of water every time you check your email or log into facebook or MFP.

If you are getting a bath or shower, take a 1 Liter bottle in with you and drink from it.

Take a water bottle to your local swimming pool and try to sip 2 liters in the sauna (can be spaced out).

I like to drink until my urine is clear. But I do have trouble remembering to drink enough, so I try to make phone calls and commercials and other daily "events" triggers that will remind me to go drink. Also, if you are making something like tuna helper, use more water and less milk, and add slightly more water than is called to to canned soups (not too much or it will be too liquidy but it all adds up).
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You only need to take on board 1.5 - 2 litres of fluid a day... and some can come from your food... so eat lots of fresh fruit and veg with meals! That way you get your water in your food, lots of vits and fill up on low calorie density foods! Honestly! I'bve not been de or overhydrated since... and my electrolytes seem more stable as not feeling so woozy/light headed and blood pressure normalised (was very low - now a good healthy normal low)
  • bexominglex
    Options
    I am aiming for 4 liters of water a day, but I take meds that can be toxic and I naturally seem to function better with more. Most people only need 8 cups of water a day. And yes, it is possible to overdo it. More isn't necessarily better. You can screw up your electrolytes if you drink way too much, so it has to be balanced. Also, if you are drinking a lot of water, you may have to add potassium and sodium and other nutrients to your water every so often to make sure your body chemistry doesn't get too screwy.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 4 liters of water a day, but I take meds that can be toxic and I naturally seem to function better with more. Most people only need 8 cups of water a day. And yes, it is possible to overdo it. More isn't necessarily better. You can screw up your electrolytes if you drink way too much, so it has to be balanced. Also, if you are drinking a lot of water, you may have to add potassium and sodium and other nutrients to your water every so often to make sure your body chemistry doesn't get too screwy.

My sister is on some nasty drugs too (Sulfasalazine) and she ends up drinking lots more but has lots of teas too.

Any yes, totally agree with being overhydrated and messing up electrolyte imbalance. However if this happens, you can take thinsg such as dioralyte to help rebalance things.
  • bexominglex
    Options
    Yeah, or if you don't want to worry about it, for every 2 liters of water, 500 ml of gatorade should suffice to keep you on track. Not that healthy (gatorade) but better than messing up your electrolytes. Being overhydrated has never been a problem for me, but my urine has been brown from dehydration plenty of times.
  • nina4w
    Options
    Drinking while you're eating can water down your digestive juices like the poster above me said, making the body produce more hydrochloric acid. I try not to drink any water for an hour or so before and after eating a filling meal (I will still drink water if I am eating relatively easy to digest foods like yoghurt, apple sauce, etc).

Okay, my tips. If you are watching TV have a big cup of water near you and chug from it every time the commercials come on.

If you are doing chores, take a sip of water every time you put a hand full of dishes away, or sweep the floor of one room, etc.

Carry a water bottle with you when you go out on errands and sip from it when you are waiting for the bus, waiting in line, waiting at a light, etc.

Eat lots of veggies and fruit full of water to up you daily intake (like cucumber and watermelon).

Add lemon or lime juice to your water to make it take different (or water flavours if your don't mind the artificial sweeteners) and drink lots of herbal teas.

Every time the phone rings or you phone someone, drink a cup of water.

Drink a cup of water every time you check your email or log into facebook or MFP.

If you are getting a bath or shower, take a 1 Liter bottle in with you and drink from it.

Take a water bottle to your local swimming pool and try to sip 2 liters in the sauna (can be spaced out).

I like to drink until my urine is clear. But I do have trouble remembering to drink enough, so I try to make phone calls and commercials and other daily "events" triggers that will remind me to go drink. Also, if you are making something like tuna helper, use more water and less milk, and add slightly more water than is called to to canned soups (not too much or it will be too liquidy but it all adds up).
    Ah. Thank you for all the water drinking tips!

D: It will be a little hard for me to just drink an hour before eating if only because I have a hard time eating things without drinking anything while I eat.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    Thanks, because I HATE water. One of my friends suggest I carry a bottle of water in my car.
    I carry a bottle of water with me EVERYWHERE.
    Seriously, I never leave the house without one.
    I have one on my desk at all times.
    I have one at my bedside every night.
    I have cold ones in the fridge...lol

It is a good tip !