EU bans drinks manufacturer from claiming water prevents deh

Options
2»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Pizza a vegetable, all to do with the tomato on top apparently.

This makes me laugh, yes tomato is a veg, but by that kind of thinking a McD's buger is then too a veg.... as it has lettuce on it.

The water thing, is just a waste of time and resources that the EU clearly does not have spare right now, and even if they had, use them wisely to solve real problems!

Tomatoes are fruits, not vegetables.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    That said.. completely bloody waste of tax payers money - we're not completely stupid!!!
    Really? (not aimed at you specifically but...)
    - Half the people on this thread really believe that the EU says water does not hydrate without trying to understand,
    - Marketers love to say stuff like: "Actimel,strengthens the body's natural defences", which can be said about pretty much every food, yet they made millions out of that campaign.

Don't know which brand tried to add the claim that their water "can reduce the risk of development of dehydration" on their bottle, but I think they must be really annoyed at what the EU actually just did to them. And I think it's only fair.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options

This makes me laugh, yes tomato is a veg, but by that kind of thinking a McD's buger is then too a veg.... as it has lettuce on it.

The water thing, is just a waste of time and resources that the EU clearly does not have spare right now, and even if they had, use them wisely to solve real problems!

Lol indeed you are right, but the point still stands :)
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think certain kinds of pizza could be classified as a vegetable. This, however, doesn't make it healthy. There are plenty of veggies doused in sauces, sauteed in oils, covered in cheese, that are far from healthy, but they're still a veggie.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Lol indeed you are right, but the point still stands :)

Not only is it a fruit, its a berry, unlike Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc , which aren't berries.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    So I've just seen ... that water doesn't prevent dehydration. What is going on?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8897662/EU-bans-claim-that-water-can-prevent-dehydration.html

Don't believe everything you read in newspapers. It's another Euromyth. See:
    http://euromove.blogactiv.eu/2011/11/21/anatomy-of-a-euromyth/
    I read that post and as far as I can tell, it's not a myth -- the Euromove writer basically says, "Yes, the EU did ban a company from making the true statement that drinking water can reduce the risk of dehydration, but that result was required by the EU's bureaucratic rules, so shut up."
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    What the EU actually said is here:
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:299:0001:0003:EN:PDF
    Article 2(2)(6) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006 defines reduction of disease risk claims as 'any health claim that states, suggests or implies that the consumption of a food category, a food or one of its constituents significantly reduces a risk factor in the development of a human disease'. Upon request for clarification, the applicant proposed water loss in tissues or reduced water content in tissues as risk factors of dehydration. On the basis of the data presented, the Authority concluded in its opinion received by the Commission and the Member States on 16 February 2011 that the proposed risk factors are measures of water depletion and thus are measures of the disease. Accordingly, as a risk factor in the development of a disease is not shown to be reduced, the claim does not comply with the requirements of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006 and it should not be authorised.

The so-called "pizza as vegetable" story was actually a debate about credit for vegetable concentrate. The US government currently says:
    http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/resources/FBG_Section_2-VegFruits.pdf
    Vegetable and fruit concentrates are allowed to be credited on an “as if single-strength reconstituted basis” rather than on the actual volume as served.

The US government treats tomato as a vegetable. See:
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=16646
    "Though botanically a fruit, in 1893 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the tomato was a vegetable (NIX v. HEDDEN, 149 U.S. 304). The import tax placed on vegetables (but not fruits) protected U.S. tomato growers from foreign markets."