Pizza as a vegetable

Options

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    OK, while I agree that pizza itself should not be classified as a vegetable, pizza is not necessarily unhealthy. It depends on what you put on it. If you load up a thin crust (or a whole-wheat crust for those who refuse to eat white flour) with tomato sauce, lean meats, veggies, and lowfat cheese, it's not unhealthy and actually a fairly balanced meal. I'm not at all saying that the pizza they serve in schools is healthy; it's usually pretty greasy. But to just flat-out say that pizza is unhealthy is a gross over-generalization. We seem to go from one extreme to the other around here.

I personally have no problem with my kids having pizza at school. That's about the only way my daughter will even touch tomato sauce (give her the same sauce on spaghetti and she finds it gross...go figure). The pizza at her school is not really greasy, so I don't sweat it. She eats pretty healthy most of the time, so pizza at school sometimes is not going to kill her. Heck, we even go OUT for pizza sometimes (let the flaming begin!).
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Lol, this all just reminds me that the nachos they used to sell at the school I work at have been banned :'( I meese you...

Oh but yes, Pizza=/Vegetable
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, pizza. Wait. What is this post about again?
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Mmmm, pizza. Wait. What is this post about again?

LOL
    Thanks for posting, this made me laugh.
    Let me clarify something guys. I love pizza, I would eat it all the time. Unfortunately it is not the healthiest thing to eat out there. Fortunately if you decide to make your own pizza there are a lot of twists you can do to make it low calorie and still enjoy it. I am not so sure that the pizzas served in school take this approach though!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    gah! how could you present a biased news source like msnbc! I'm so glad fox news had an article. They are so well known for being "fair and balanced". muhahahah

Anyway, on to less silly things: tomato sauce is not a vegetable. just like friggen ketchup isn't one. I'm surprised they feel like that is the best way to cut back.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    So much of what we eat in America and what is touted as healthy is driven by BIG FOOD companies and not nutritional science. This proposal was of course bought about by the pizza makers, salt producers and potato growers. ....Don' t get me on my soap box!
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    gah! how could you present a biased news source like msnbc! I'm so glad fox news had an article. They are so well known for being "fair and balanced". muhahahah

Anyway, on to less silly things: tomato sauce is not a vegetable. just like friggen ketchup isn't one. I'm surprised they feel like that is the best way to cut back.
    This is from wikipedia
    Lycopene is not an essential nutrient for humans, but is commonly found in the diet, mainly from dishes prepared from tomatoes. When absorbed from the stomach, lycopene is transported in the blood by various lipoproteins and accumulates in the liver, adrenal glands, and testes.

Because preliminary research has shown an inverse correlation between consumption of tomatoes and cancer risk, lycopene has been considered a potential agent for prevention of some types of cancers, particularly prostate cancer. However, this area of research and the relationship with prostate cancer have been deemed insufficient of evidence for health claim approval by the US Food and Drug Administration (see below under Antioxidant properties and potential health benefits).
  • fit4mom
    Options
    So much of what we eat in America and what is touted as healthy is driven by BIG FOOD companies and not nutritional science. This proposal was of course bought about by the pizza makers, salt producers and potato growers. ....Don' t get me on my soap box!
    Potatoes are extremely good for you and BTW recently food programs were told they are unhealthy and not to offer them when in fact they are a great low cost nutrition supplement for low income families. A potato commissioner did an all potato diet to prove it. He in fact improved his health and lowered his weight and cholesterol.
    http://news.opb.org/article/washington-potato-commission-leader-goes-all-potato-diet/
  • Arbright
    Arbright Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    This is from wikipedia
    Lycopene is not an essential nutrient for humans, but is commonly found in the diet, mainly from dishes prepared from tomatoes. When absorbed from the stomach, lycopene is transported in the blood by various lipoproteins and accumulates in the liver, adrenal glands, and testes.

Because preliminary research has shown an inverse correlation between consumption of tomatoes and cancer risk, lycopene has been considered a potential agent for prevention of some types of cancers, particularly prostate cancer. However, this area of research and the relationship with prostate cancer have been deemed insufficient of evidence for health claim approval by the US Food and Drug Administration (see below under Antioxidant properties and potential health benefits).
    [/quote]

So this week licopene isn't an anti cancer agent?
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I believe the article said they are counting the tomato sauce on the pizza as a vegetable NOT the pizza.

To be honest - I don't see a problem with serving pizza in a school lunch. We had pizza for hot lunch when I was in school. It's not just the food that kid's are eating, but sitting on their duffs playing video games and not getting outside with others a moving that is causing some of the weight problems.
    ^THIS^

And generally speaking it's the parents' responsibility to raise healthy kids... not the school/government.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Potatoes are extremely good for you and BTW recently food programs were told they are unhealthy and not to offer them when in fact they are a great low cost nutrition supplement for low income families. A potato commissioner did an all potato diet to prove it. He in fact improved his health and lowered his weight and cholesterol.
    http://news.opb.org/article/washington-potato-commission-leader-goes-all-potato-diet/

Potatoes themselves ARE healthy. The problem is in this country we deep fry them or put butter and sour cream on them making potatoes very unhealthy.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    They recommended eating it for good health on Dr. Oz.. Even if your gonna disagree and badmouth (it's a tv Dr. he's not real) he does give allot of valid information more often than not.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    This is from wikipedia

So this week licopene isn't an anti cancer agent?

I don't know if anyone on here is bashing tomatoes - I am though, I hate them :) - they are concerned that the minute amount of tomato product on school pizza is being considered a veggie serving.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    I put low fat cream cheese on my potatoes. Even if we do, it's like anything. In moderation alcohol is good for your health. So is dark chocolate and salt. Should we get rid of those as well. Oh too many sick people, let's just let them die, right? I understand that we go too far. It's about educating and not arraticating. I think that we should educate our students on eating, why not nutrition classes in school. Home ec never taught me how to eat. How to cook maybe but not how to eat.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I think that we should educate our students on eating, why not nutrition classes in school. Home ec never taught me how to eat. How to cook maybe but not how to eat.

I agree 100%
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    4ITH2.jpg
  • fit4mom
    Options
    I think that we should educate our students on eating, why not nutrition classes in school. Home ec never taught me how to eat. How to cook maybe but not how to eat.

I agree 100%
    Thank you. I also think as small children we SHOULD reward them for good healthy choices. Arby's used to put a book with kids meals. They could choose to make kids meals healthy but according to our gov. were not smart enough to make good healthy choices so just get rid of it.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    I put low fat cream cheese on my potatoes. Even if we do, it's like anything. In moderation alcohol is good for your health. So is dark chocolate and salt. Should we get rid of those as well. Oh too many sick people, let's just let them die, right? I understand that we go too far. It's about educating and not arraticating. I think that we should educate our students on eating, why not nutrition classes in school. Home ec never taught me how to eat. How to cook maybe but not how to eat.

I completely agree with this posting.
    The problem is the school lunches will do a 180 degrees on what they would teach in nutrition class. If you're going to educate our children about the proper way to eat, reinforce their teachings with a dose of reality. Don't tell them to eat veggies if you're gonna serve them french fries and fatty foods.

Now that said, you should give them an option. This is not a dictatorship and we are all free to choose what we want to eat.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    BTW did anyone ever consider that maybe there was something attached to the new health bill that could be bad for us. That is how most bills get passed. They get tucked in for a nice comfy ride to be an undeclared bill. Sneaky isn't it.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    BTW did anyone ever consider that maybe there was something attached to the new health bill that could be bad for us. That is how most bills get passed. They get tucked in for a nice comfy ride to be an undeclared bill. Sneaky isn't it.

Agreed!