Optimum 100% Whey Powder--any good?

Options
So, I've come to the conclusion I don't really care about raw pounds anymore. I care more about body composition. Right now, my body fat is too high, even though (by most standards) I'm no longer overweight.

So I want to gain more lean muscle and burn more fat. Yes, I mix cardio and strength.

I'm considering adding a protein supplement to my diet. My cafeteria can supply ample chicken breast and eggs...but I'm getting kind of tired of constantly eating them, not to mention the fact that my tastes have become a bit more "flexitarian" over the semester--as in, sometimes I'm just not hungry for meat. I know, vegetarians can get plenty of protein, but the caf tofu tastes like a diseased sponge. As for other meats, usually they are "specials," such as Korean-style spare ribs or sugar-glazed ham.

I'm not thinking of replacing meals with protein powder, but like...adding some to my morning oatmeal, drinking some right after I strength train.

Does this sound like it would help? Is Optimum 100% the best whey to go?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    So, I've come to the conclusion I don't really care about raw pounds anymore. I care more about body composition. Right now, my body fat is too high, even though (by most standards) I'm no longer overweight.

So I want to gain more lean muscle and burn more fat. Yes, I mix cardio and strength.

I'm considering adding a protein supplement to my diet. My cafeteria can supply ample chicken breast and eggs...but I'm getting kind of tired of constantly eating them, not to mention the fact that my tastes have become a bit more "flexitarian" over the semester--as in, sometimes I'm just not hungry for meat. I know, vegetarians can get plenty of protein, but the caf tofu tastes like a diseased sponge. As for other meats, usually they are "specials," such as Korean-style spare ribs or sugar-glazed ham.

I'm not thinking of replacing meals with protein powder, but like...adding some to my morning oatmeal, drinking some right after I strength train.

Does this sound like it would help? Is Optimum 100% the best whey to go?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    whey protein is the way to go...optimum brand can be pricey and tastes so-so
    I use MRM brand vanilla and dutch chocolate....the vanilla is great in my oatmeal..the chocolate mixed into the fage yogurt is fantastic

you can get MRM at Henry's
  • marisa0918
    Options
    Thats the brand I use and I actually like it. I get mine at Vitamin Discount Center and pay $55 for a HUGE jug. I buy the double chocolate and mix it with water and it is drinkable. When you mix it with milk it taste just like chocolate milk and it blends easy. The strawberry is pretty good too, but I have never tried the vanilla. I usually drink 2 a day....1 after my cardio in the morning and 1 as one of my afternoon snacks.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i saw today at CVS biggest loser came out with one. in 4 flavors. don't know how they taste. may get one next weekend to try. they also came out with protein packetts to go. those were pricey.