women-Mirena

Options
Question for the ladies...does any one have or know of any one using the Mirena birthcontrol device?
(In my pre-menopausal case to slow the periods!)
I 've read mixed reviews about people having problems losing weight with it? I'd like to know if anyone has had any issues?

Thanks! Michele

Replies

• TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've had it for over a year now and I love it.

The only problems I had with my weight are my inability to choose proper foods to put in my mouth on a daily basis :wink:

But, seriously, no, I've had no problems with it. I love, love, love it!!
  • Tracey_Tee
    Tracey_Tee Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've had it fitted for 3 years and it's the best thing I ever did ! As for problems with weight-loss .... last year I lost 44lbs (Jan - July) and this year since August I have lost another 24lbs ..... so no problems for me !
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've got it!

I absolutely love it.

Haven't had a period since I had it inserted. :)

That was back in January.

I've lost about 60ish pounds since April.

No problem at all.

Birth control does NOT make you gain weight. Sometimes it just makes you crave things, and it's up to you whether you choose to put them into your body or not.

My mirena was the best thing that ever happened to me.
  • Jessieamoore
    Options
    I had mine put in back in March. I love it! There was a bit of a scare with not being able to find the strings (which apparently happens often) They sent me for a sono, and everything was just fine. I have not a care in the world, no pills, no patches, nothing! As far as losing weight, I can't comment on that. I just started really WORKING on losing this week, so I guess time will tell!
  • DSummersCM
    Options
    I have one and have had it for a year and a half. I don't have periods at all. I don't think it has affected my weight loss journey at all!
  • wackynunu
    Options
    Mirena has not hindered my weight loss, but I get my TOM 3 times a month sometimes then not at all for a month. I wish my husband would get the snip. My OB says everyone is different. At first I had TOM for 6 WEEKS STRAIGHT. Then it was normal. Now 3 years in and its sparatic again.
  • sarahsaca
    sarahsaca Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Have had it for over two years and I love love love it!!!!! No problems losing weight -- at least no problems that I can attribute to the birth control!!!! LOL:laugh:
  • Tracey_Tee
    Tracey_Tee Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've got it!

I absolutely love it.

No problem at all.

Birth control does NOT make you gain weight. Sometimes it just makes you crave things, and it's up to you whether you choose to put them into your body or not.

You haven't had a period since you had it fitted ?? Wow how lucky are you !!! I still get mine every month .... although they are nothing compared to what they used to be lol !
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for two and a half years. I love it! Lighter periods and no problem with losing weight. My only problem was when one of the strings coiled and imbedded itself into my skin.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm considering Mirena after baby #2. Anybody get theirs right after a pregnancy?
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above. It's a great thing. I've had mine in 4 years and the hormone levels do decrease with time. I now have regular, but very light, periods where for a few years they were very infrequent. I wish I'd discovered it earlier in life!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I've had mine since January and LOVE it! My periods are getting lighter and now last 1/2 day! The only thing hindering my weight loss has been my terrible eating, but I HAVE lost some weight since I've gotten it. I'm much better emotionally, too. I can't say enough good about it!
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Had it for 6 months. I thought the lower dose of hormone wouldn't screw with me like regular hormonal BC. My experience:

**Acne like a teenager
    **Absolute loss of sex drive (not just reduced. I mean, totally GONE.)
    **Mood swings
    **Depression

I finally took it out, and even with supplements to help regulate my hormones, it took several months to feel "normal" again. I can finally say that I don't have severe PMS, and finally, FINALLY, I have a sex drive again and my skin looks less like I'm 13 lol.

I know many women have had good experiences with it, but I personally know other women who experienced exactly what I did. I wouldnt' recommend it to anyone.
  • GeekMom17
    Options
    I've had it for a year and I love it. My periods are nothing compared to what they used to be. They've lightened up and shortened. I do get some cramping from time to time but, nothing too bad.

As for weight loss I've been doing great no problems. I think it helps with my emotional issues a bit when I am PMS'ing but I still crave bad stuff on it.
  • GeekMom17
    Options
    Yes, I got mine 6 weeks after I had my son.
  • GeekMom17
    Options
    I'm considering Mirena after baby #2. Anybody get theirs right after a pregnancy?

Yes. 6 weeks after I had my son.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've got it!

I absolutely love it.

No problem at all.

You haven't had a period since you had it fitted ?? Wow how lucky are you !!! I still get mine every month .... although they are nothing compared to what they used to be lol !

Yupp! My doctor said that I'm pretty much the model for a perfect reaction to it.

No cramps, no periods, no pain, not adverse reactions at ALL.
    It hasn't affect my sex drive, skin, anything.
    But it did stop my periods. :) I love that!
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to add I have no periods at all now. I had one the first month after I had it inserted but none since then!! Love that!
  • charlotte3176
    charlotte3176 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for 4 years and it hasn't hindered my weightloss at all.