Movies that destroy you

Options
janiebeth
janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
Ever watch a movie that just makes you so sad you can hardly stand it..

My favorite of all time is "City of Angels" with Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage. :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:

Anybody else??

jb

Replies

• janiebeth
    Options
    Ever watch a movie that just makes you so sad you can hardly stand it..

My favorite of all time is "City of Angels" with Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage. :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:

Anybody else??

jb
  • MattySparky
    Options
    ET.... I hate when they're dying... and they take elliot away from et in the hospital and et bawls like a fawn that's been hit by a harvester......... it was more of a thing when I was a kid actually, but I remember it bothering me alot! LOL.

I think it's the noise ET makes "mmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    The Green Mile

"When I die and I stand before God awaiting judgment and he asks me why I let one of HIS miracles die, what am I gonna say, that it was my job? "

This quote really got to me
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The Color Purple when she reunites with her kids...:sad: its a happy cry though
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Marley and me...oinly cause I have a yellow lab also.:cry:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    When I just want a good cry I pop in P.S. I love you. I know its cheesy, but its my one chick-flicky indulgence.

I can't watch anything sad with children in it. If something bad EVER happens to a child - especially a baby - in a movie I have to switch it off. I even have a problem with Labrynth. :laugh: Its so sad because that baby is actually crying in those shots. Like somebody pinched it. :angry: I don't understand parents who can let their babies cry for the camera. :mad:
  • janiebeth
    Options
    These are great examples.

Another one that really got me when I didn't expect it was a film called "My Girl" about a daughter of a man who ran a funeral home. The trailers for the movie were so funny that I thought it was just a great comedy.. After inviting 3 friends to join me, I find out it is a devastating tear jerker.

Does anyone remember that movie?
  • janiebeth
    Options
    When I just want a good cry I pop in P.S. I love you. I know its cheesy, but its my one chick-flicky indulgence.

I can't watch anything sad with children in it. If something bad EVER happens to a child - especially a baby - in a movie I have to switch it off. I even have a problem with Labrynth. :laugh: Its so sad because that baby is actually crying in those shots. Like somebody pinched it. :angry: I don't understand parents who can let their babies cry for the camera. :mad:

Hannah, I am with you totally on that one..

I read "Poisonwood Bible" a few years ago when it was on Oprah's list. It just about killed me.. I know I have a tendency to get too involved in books, but I walked around sad for a couple of weeks after that book.. Leave the kids alone!!

BTW - I also learned from that book to stay away from Oprah's list. She had a bunch of really sad books on the list. I think she might like to see people recover from tragedy - but I can't handle that much tragedy.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Eeesh, I know there are tons of movies that make me just sob, but now that I want to name them my mind has blanked! :grumble:

The only one I can think of now is The Notebook.
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Eeesh, I know there are tons of movies that make me just sob, but now that I want to name them my mind has blanked! :grumble:

The only one I can think of now is The Notebook.

I am with you... the Notebook is a great movie! Another personal fave of mine is In Her Shoes.. the poem at the end..

I carry your heart with me(i carry it in
    my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
    i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
    by only me is your doing,my darling)
    i fear
    no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
    no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
    and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
    and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
    (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
    and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
    higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
    and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    These are great examples.

Another one that really got me when I didn't expect it was a film called "My Girl" about a daughter of a man who ran a funeral home. The trailers for the movie were so funny that I thought it was just a great comedy.. After inviting 3 friends to join me, I find out it is a devastating tear jerker.

Does anyone remember that movie?

That movie always makes me cry, but I do love it.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The Green Mile

"When I die and I stand before God awaiting judgment and he asks me why I let one of HIS miracles die, what am I gonna say, that it was my job? "

This quote really got to me

Awesome movie, and Tom Hanks just blew me away in that scene.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    tristan + isolde
    one of my favorite movies ever, but a real heart-breaker
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My girl will always get me all blurry-eyed!! "His glasses where are his glasses?!" :sad:

Also its just a moment but in the Patriot and the little girl who wouldn't talk starts bawling and goes running after her daddy screaming "Daddy don't go daddy I'll say anything" the tears just stream!!
  • johnjon99
    johnjon99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know Adam Sandler is typically the funny man...but the scene in "Click" where he pauses the playback of his life and realizes that he has been an *kitten* to his dad his whole life...and then tells him he loves him (knowing it would be the last time he would see him alive). That one gets me every time. :sad:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    There was a movie that was called "The Cure" it was about this little boy who got AIDS from a blood transfusion and it was in the 80's so none of the other kids would play with him- they were all afraid to catch it. So there's only one little boy who will be his friend. Anyway they hear about down in New Orleans there is a doctor who has a cure for AIDS(of course this isn't true, but the kids believe it). So they set off on a raft down the Mississippi river together, and along the way the AIDS kid is getting sicker and sicker. When they stop to camp, the AIDS kid tells his friend that he hates waking up in the dark cuz' he wonders if he has already died. and maybe that's what death is like, all alone in the dark, and so his friend gives him his shoe, and tells him that when you wake up and you smell my shoe you'll know you aren't dead. So long story short, of course, AIDS kid dies, and the friend isn't supposed to go to his funeral cuz the parents kinda blame him, and at the end he walks up to the casket and puts his shoe in there.

I sobbed like a part of my soul had died. Most tear inducing movie I EVER saw.

and more recently, Gran Torino had me bawling too. Especially (SPOILER) when he says goodbye to his dog.
  • brookefoley
    brookefoley Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is easy,

The Pianist, which is an amazing incredible story about the holocaust.
    Also Schindler's List.
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Pay It Forward is a real boo-hooer for me.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Gran Torino also had me crying like a baby but it was a great movie.
  • Kelleighanne
    Options
    I know it's probably cheesy, but that musical montage at the end of Titanic (where the band is playing and the people are getting ready to die.. the mama telling the kids a bedtime story so they will sleep through it and the old couple laying in the bed with the water rushing in). Makes me cry everytime.