Vegan Diet?

Options

Replies

• speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I run and have been running further and faster since becoming vegan. I have completed two half marathons and next year I plan to do my first full marathon. You need to ensure that you are eating enough as its easy to not eat enough and make sure you do get lots of those pretty colours on your plate every meal.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that being vegan or vegetarian is necessarily healthier than being a meat eater.

I'm vegetarian for moral reasons, but I'm no healthier or thinner than anyone I know who eats meat. And I know some very UNhealthy vegans.

Just eat a healthy, balanced diet and enjoy your meat if that's what you want to eat.

As for soy, it's a very complicated issue, but tofu is different than the fake "meats" that are processed soy. The tofu is a better choice. There are ways to work it into your diet where texture and taste aren't an issue, but you still get the protein benefit.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    First of all I'm pescetarian, not vegan (only meat I eat is fish), but I do have a lot of vegan days. If you think vegan eating is tasteless, you are not using the right recipes. Appetite for Reduction, Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen, Veganomicon, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (had to throw that in, lol), etc. have some amazing dishes. The first two use a lot of normal, whole foods.

Most of my protein comes from legumes and I do eat tofu on occasion. Pressing it is important because it allows it to take on the flavors of whatever sauce you are using.

As for sluggishness, I have several vegan friends who are very active. A couple run marathons and one is a triathlete and participates in ironmans. Again, if you are sluggish on a vegan diet (think about it - TONS of micronutrients should be coursing through you body) then you aren't eating the right things. Variety and lots of color!!

She's right. I was vegan for YEARS, and if you try it you have to make sure you do it the right way. It's easy to go overboard on pasta and other "empty" nutrient foods. I don't think you should give up everything cold if you don't want to. You can still be healthy and eat meat. I eat chicken, fish and turkey now, but I only buy natural/organic from Whole Foods and the like. If you want to try to eliminate some animal products, you could start eating less dairy for a couple weeks or something and if you like the way you feel then work your way on up.
  • holyguacamole
    holyguacamole Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for around 6 months, one of my main reasons being to loose weight. I had been a vegetarian for years before hand for ethical/environmental reasons so I think it made it easier for me to become vegan. If you are going straight from eating meat all the time to being vegan, that could be tough. I did loose a bit of weight by going vegan but not a significant amount. I have lost almost 5kg since I joined MFP in September while eating dairy and eggs again, but with PORTION CONTROL in mind. I fould that on a vegan diet I felt like I was missing out on baking and felt left out in social situations. I HAVE cut down on the amount of dairy and eggs I used to consume, and I don't really eat processed foods or white flour.

I did find that being vegan gave me reasons to say no to chocolate or anything containing butter so when i stopped, I found it easier to resist.

Vegan diets can be super healthy, but you have to make sure you get all the right nutrients. You need B vitamins to burn fat, so make sure you're getting enough.

Don't make the silly mistakes I made: eating too many nuts and seeds, not getting enough calcium. Limit nuts to 25g per day. Try soy milk and rice milk - it actually nice, you can get light versions too- only 44 cal per 200ml.

Don't get into the habit of checking if something is vegan instead of checking the calories. BIG mistake...
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that being vegan or vegetarian is necessarily healthier than being a meat eater.

I'm vegetarian for moral reasons, but I'm no healthier or thinner than anyone I know who eats meat. And I know some very UNhealthy vegans.

Just eat a healthy, balanced diet and enjoy your meat if that's what you want to eat.

As for soy, it's a very complicated issue, but tofu is different than the fake "meats" that are processed soy. The tofu is a better choice. There are ways to work it into your diet where texture and taste aren't an issue, but you still get the protein benefit.

This is exactly why I refer to my diet as a whole foods plant-based diet rather than just saying "vegan". I managed to become morbidly obese as a vegetarian (eating lots of cheese and eggs). It would be very easy to be a junk food vegan eating lots of processed foods, meat substitutes and cheese substitutes.

Most of us are here on MFP because health (or weight) is a priority for us. I do wish to differ with some here about the benefits of going "cold turkey" versus going gradually. If you go gradually, it is too easy to go back to old habits, especially if things get hard. If you do it all at once and clear out your cupboards, pantry, refrigerator and freezer of all highly processed and animal products, you have more leverage to continue on. If you make the complete switch at once, you will notice the improvements in a more dramatic fashion, especially issues with sinuses, high cholesterol, diabetes, or digestive tract issues. Granted, I was mostly a vegetarian before, but my husband was a full-blown meat-loving carnivore. I was totally shocked when he said he was ready to change his life.........and boy, did he ever!
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Vegan diet isn't automatic weight loss. You have to still make sure that you're eating tons of veggies (and fruits too obviously!) and really watch carb intake because tons (but not all) of pasta, bread etc are vegan. And watch nut intake too because while they contain healthy fats that are necessary, a calorie is a calorie. And as for tofu, you can buy baked tofu already flavored from many stores if you're short on time and they taste awesome!! but that's the other thing, trying to be a HEALTHY vegan is time consuming and hard to do all the time. there have been plenty of times where I'm out and the only vegan thing on the menu is super carb heavy (although I'm not 100% vegan, but I try!!) and that is really your only choice. And for me, I'm still a student and I find that prepping a healthy vegan meal is just not practical sometimes and may have an almond butter sandwich for all three meals some days :ohwell: BUT......being vegan has really helped me limit a lot of unhealthy food intake and gotten me eating a lot more veggies than I ever have before :happy: !!! And my insides just feel cleaner, knowing that I don't have a bunch of animal **** clogging me up, and it's vvery rewarding!! so I'd say, give it a shot but if I were you, I'd start out just vegetarian, then cut out dairy/eggs.
  • J3SSP3NNY
    Options
    I don't think I was clear enough.

I want to do it mostly for health and energy reasons. I have researched the topic quite a bit and know that I need to make sure I get a variety and watch out on certain things.

It's the health benefits I'm after. I'm assuming weight loss will come with it, but it's more the energy. The nutrients!

And I did make it sound like I hate veggies. I love veggies....but certain ones. And not to the point where I would pick them over a whole helping of buffalo wings or a big juicy steak. They will always win.

And I do care about the way the animals are treated at big places that make food for companies like Tyson or McDonald's. I try and make sure my food is cage free, wild caught, naturally raised animals.

I think what I've gathered from all this really, really helpful information is that I should just cut back on my animal foods to a few times a day and try and make sure I eat mostly fruits and veggies.

Thanks for every one's help and if there is anything to add I would love to hear it :)
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There can be just as many unhealthy disadvantages to following a vegan lifestyle, as there are with a diet that includes meat. A vegan diet can be starch-laden & unclean too. Plus, it takes a lot more balancing (which can feel more like juggling), and with less options than you are used to. And boy, is it ever hard to eat at family functions, business meetings, dinners out and on flights, more so than it is when you are just watching your weight. It's a real pain in the rear unless you spend a lot of time in your own kitchen, garden & farmer's market.

The biggest disadvantages to a vegan diet would be vitamin & mineral deficiency, leading to malnutrition, anemia, a "LACK of energy", and so forth. I mention anemia, because vegans are particularly prone to being deficient of iron, although we humans can get iron from non meat sources, heme iron (the kind from meat only) is more easily absorbed by the body, while non heme (from nuts, fruits, veggies, grains) is not as easily absorbed. Vegans in NO WAY get heme iron in their diet & therefore must either consume more non-heme iron, which could up those calories & pounds (I know quite a few chunky vegans) or find an iron supplement (with vegan-only fillers) to take daily, which can be costly.

If you are a meat lover, but have a concern for animal welfare, making such a transition would most likely result in reverting back to your old ways. I would stick to what you like, BUT support local farms and buy only free range milk, cheese, meat, eggs, and wild fish from reputable fisheries as opposed to farmed fish. You can still be concerned about animal welfare & do your part to stop that abuse, by making those changes. Research food production companies & find the ones who kill in a humane fashion, because let's face it, things die, and a lot of species on this planet have a physiology that requires a diet of meat. It's how we go about eating it in today's society that is the big problem. Have a respect for all life, and be grateful to those who unwillingly gave their lives to be on your plate.

Vegangal84 actually has a great idea about incorporating less meats into your diet. I love the idea of making a day or two a week meatless. Even I do that, although, I definitely take an extra spoonful of my iron supplement on those days. :)

If you decide a vegan lifestyle is for you, know that it can be done in a healthy manner, it just takes a lot more effort & research. Best of luck to you. :)
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options

The biggest disadvantages to a vegan diet would be vitamin & mineral deficiency, leading to malnutrition, anemia, a "LACK of energy", and so forth. I mention anemia, because vegans are particularly prone to being deficient of iron, although we humans can get iron from non meat sources, heme iron (the kind from meat only) is more easily absorbed by the body, while non heme (from nuts, fruits, veggies, grains) is not as easily absorbed. Vegans in NO WAY get heme iron in their diet & therefore must either consume more non-heme iron, which could up those calories & pounds (I know quite a few chunky vegans) or find an iron supplement (with vegan-only fillers) to take daily, which can be costly.

You have made some great points, but I suspect you are placing too great of an importance on "heme iron". In the past, I have been anemic (before I went vegetarian). I track my daily iron intake here on MFP. Most days it isn't 100%, but it usually doesn't fall below 50%. I noticed that dark chocolate (even in small amounts), beans and nuts tend to get the numbers up there. This diet/lifestyle has given me way more energy than I have ever had before. The same goes for my husband.

I also wish to respectfully disagree with another previous poster about avoiding starches. Rice, potatoes, corn and beans are the staples of some of the healthiest, trimmest and longest-lived societies on earth. In the SAD (Standard American Diet), we tend to serve our starches with loads of fat (i.e. butter, sour cream, bacon, alfredo sauce, etc.) If you cut out the added fats, these starches are great sources of healthy carbs, protein and fats. In fact, I try to make these starches (in healthier whole grain versions), the centerpiece of my diet, balanced out with an equal amount of colorful veggies. I know for a fact that I am getting a lot more nutrients now than ever before.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    So I have been reading about vegan diet. And all the health benefits make it REALLY alluring. I love the idea of being more healthy and feeling more energetic.

Here's my problem....taste. lol I am a meat person all the way. I have gone MONTHS without eating a single veggie. And to push myself into an all veggie diet makes me feel like blowing my brains out. How can I live without the REALLY tasty stuff? (I say all veggie because I am a HUGE fruit person. I consider fruit candy)

I'm not a fan of tofu...it's like rubber and tasteless. Plus I heard soy isn't as great for you as promised. Is this true?
    I also can't stand vegan cheese...nasty. lol

What's a good compromise? Like a cheat day (or 2) where you get to eat meat/animal by-products?

Anyone else out there reading this who found their selves in the same boat and came up with a good compromise with them selves?

Maybe the lack of veggies is where you should start. I don't see you being successful at a vegan diet, and if you have 2 cheat days a week you won't reap the benefits of a vegan diet.

Please don't give up on tofu-- it needs to be prepared properly or it is gross. Just like vegetables. Keep trying new ones and cooking them in new ways with new spices, in soups, pureed, etc.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Try slowing going into the vegan diet/lifestyle. First cut out all red meats and increase your vegetable intake (add spices & seasoning for flavor). Then after a week or two start cutting out poultry/fish, then after that eggs/milk/cheese, etc. Baby steps are key to successfully reaping the benefits of veganism and actually enjoying the foods.

As for me I'm not a vegan, I am a Paleo/Pescatarian but I do enjoy many vegan dishes.
  • adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I went in steps. I cut out red meat and pork first. Then 6 months later cut out chicken. Dairy was next...which was about a thousand times more difficult than anything else. Last was eggs and seafood.

I love meat and cheese. Its completely delicious. Im not one of those vegans who says how that stuff is gross. The treatment of the animals is gross...but the food is delicious.

The things I have learned being vegan for 6 years is that vegetables can taste amazing. Growing up I had never really had them prepared the right way...or used fresh amazing ones either. I got steamed to hell broccoli, canned salty peas, mushy canned asparagas, gelatinous gross canned beets. Now I live all of those things because I buy fresh and organic and in season. Asparagas is sweet and crunchy and awesome quickly sauteed with some garlic...who would have known.

It took me awhile to take to tofu. At first it was gross and mushy and weird. I had to learn how to cook with it, and also the secret is once again buying a local brand. Im lucky that here in San Diego theres a local tofu making show that makes the best most firm tofu I have ever had. You dont have to drain the water out of it or cook the water out, its firm and amazing.

And the vegan cheeses. I dont love them and rarely buy them. I make my own cheese like spreads made form nuts and make a cheesy sauce made from nutritional yeast. But youll have to trust me when I say that your tastes will change as your diet changes. I used to force myself to drink soy or rice milk. Now I love it and drink it so fast that I went out and bought a soymilk maker.

Liking to cook helps a lot too. Theres an amazing amount of cookbooks and websites out there, and all kinds of fun stuff to start experimenting with. LIke Tempeh, Seitan, Soycurls, Nutritional yeast..ect ect
  • xashleemarie
    xashleemarie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im a vegan - i dont believe the body is meant (or able) to process animal products & fats, Heart disease - #1 killer. Cholesterol is only found in animal products. Only herbivores can suffer these diseases as omnivores bodies are well equipped to process other animal produce..

I have seen how animals are killed and factory farms where chickens are boiled alive and pigs kept in stalls where they cant move an inch for weeks until being slaughtered.

Its hard for me to understand how some people dont feel the positives or 'cant' do it. I feel amazing =D
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree that incremental changes are the only way to make a change. I did it overnight, and I know many others who have, as well. It's really about personalities, reasons, etc. Some people can do it overnight, others need change to be incremental. As many have suggested, however, you can gradually reduce the animal products you consume while increasing veggie intake. Just think how much more variety you can have in your meals if you start adding in veggies you have never tried before! And I saw at least one post about changing taste buds - this is huge. If you gradually reduce your animal intake and are adding whole foods, not processed, it is very likely you will find your taste buds changing and may find yourself tasting and enjoying food in a way you never have before (especially if you reduce sodium and sugar). That could change your mind about some of those veggies you don't think you like.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ah Pangui, you are correct. I do place a very high importance on heme, as I am one of those people that does not get enough iron in my minimal meat diet.

However most people new to vegan/vegetarian lifestyles don't realize how iron works and is absorbed through the body (heck, most of us "meaties" don't either). A common misunderstanding is that people don't realize that when consuming non-heme, certain foods/vitamins/minerals will either help or hinder the absorption of said iron source. And I won't even go into how intense exercise--which commonly goes hand in hand with dieting--depletes our iron stores (which are usually slow to diminish).

I just wanted to point out that although it's a great idea & a good time to start thinking of alternative lifestyles & dietary choices, it's tough enough to just balance a weight loss diet without throwing in a new vegan lifestyle, (especially if one of the main reasons for the change is, "a lack of energy"). If we thought counting calories was bad, it's even worse when you find yourself worn out midday thinking, "Shoot, did I take my Vitamin C with those lentils today to help my body absorb the iron?" Or "Oh darn, I can't have that calcium with that, it'll practically cancel out absorption." Where as with the meat sources, that juggling is much less of an issue, if even one at all.

Honestly Jess, my best advice (which is just my opinion, not professional advice), is to bring up the changes you'd like to make with your doctor. That way your doctor can monitor you in the beginning while you get the hang of the new lifestyle.

Jess, these are some great links which can explain it more clearly:
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron
    http://veganhealth.org/articles/iron

And Ashleemarie, your body NEEDS cholesterol. Oh, the things those "Meet your Meat" videos don't teach you. (http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/cardiovascular/cholesterol/how-the-body-uses-cholesterol.htm)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Honestly Jess, my best advice (which is just my opinion, not professional advice), is to bring up the changes you'd like to make with your doctor. That way your doctor can monitor you in the beginning while you get the hang of the new lifestyle.

I disagree. Doctors are not trained in nutrition. If a person has access to a dietitian, that would be a good option when making a drastic diet change if you have not done your own (thorough) research. Just make sure it's a veg*n friendly dietitian who supports all healthy diet choices, regardless of veg*n or omni.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've had a healthy diet all my adult life, choosing whole foods over processed for my family. Some years back, I decided we would have a vegetarian meal one night a week. Then it went to two nights. Then I started using meat as an ingredient instead of the traditional plate of "meat, starch, small veggie portion" that I grew up on. Meat was no longer the star of our plates. I incorporated more fish and chicken, very little red meat.

Two years ago I became vegan. My family is not vegan; however, they eat vegan more than half the time. Many times my 17 yo daughter will choose tofu over meat. I didn't like tofu either until I learned how to cook it! That was key! Now I crave it! That said, I do eat it once a week or less.

Increase your veggies, try participating in Meatless Monday, find recipes that use meat as an ingredient, and slowly cut down on your meat/dairy/egg consumption until you are ready to go vegan (or vegetarian) altogether.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I changed my diet shortly coming to MFP. No meat, no diary, no fish. I lost weight, lost my medication and I feel great. However, it is a constant struggle not to eat things like sugar and bread and fat.

Most of my meals are starches, brown rice, corn, peas, potatoes and my blood sugar is fine. I do exercise everyday but not as much as I used to. I did a lot of research about my lifestyle change and I recommend you do the same. I recommend a youtube search on dr. john mcdougall and jeff novick.

By the way, I am Asian and I say nay to tofu, cause it's about 50% fat--look up the nutritional facts on the foods you eat, before you eat them.

I loved eating meat, dairy (I am not lactose intolerant) and of course, fish. If you really love meat, know what you are eating and sign up for email alerts from the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service web site, where you are alerted to food recalls due to diseases like e.coli, listeria, undeclared allergans: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls/

Oh look, a company in New York is recalling broiled chicken liver products; oh look its a class 1 recall (can cause death); oh its salmonella; and its an unknown amount of chicken. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_090_2011_Release/index.asp

Oh look, a texas company is recalling beef jerky because it has salmonella; and it's a class 1 recall (can cause death); 126 pounds of it. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_089_2011_Release/index.asp

I think eating meat is great, just umm be careful what you eat!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I know that you said that you're not big on tofu, and a lot of people feel this way because they have simply not had it prepared in a tasty manner. Tofu is not something most people can slide out of the package and munch on. You have to love the tofu, marinate the tofu, caress the tofu. Marinated and baked, stir fried, or even panko breaded (I just spray pam on and do a light coating of breadcrumbs) and baked to make tofu nuggets is delicious! Take a look at some recipes online to see if maybe you just haven't had tofu "the right way". Also, soy will only be an issue if you have a thyroid problem.

Also, tofu isn't the only option out there for someone looking into a vegan diet. Tempeh, a fermented soy product and seitan, made from wheat gluten, both have very "meaty" mouthfeels, and with some small additions (like soy sauce or Bragg's aminos) can really give you that "umami" taste that vegan food sometimes lacks. If you don't mind processed foods (sometimes), companies like Field Roast and Boca make great vegan burgers, hot dogs, and sausages.

I disagree that you 'have' to do the transition in baby steps - my transition to the kinder side was pretty much done overnight two years ago, and I've pretty much never looked back. I am having a little trouble with it in China, but I still do my best given my circumstances - I still refrain from meat and eggs, but the Chinese use meat and animal products like a seasoning, unfortunately. The moment I return to the US, I am excited to get right back on the vegan bandwagon.

Welcome to the club! :)
  • tokyovegan
    Options
    When I first became vegan, I also used to eat lots of greasy, empty calories, like french-fries, fried mushrooms, etc., but in time you discover that whole foods are the best. Oil is not a food at all. Sugar is a poison. Instead, you begin to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, and organic whole grains. Avoid processed foods (i.e. don't eat anything with ingredients you can't pronounce). It's really not that hard, but you have to give your taste buds time to adjust, to allow yourself to appreciate how good natural whole foods taste in their unadulterated state.
    William aka Tokyovegan