Non gym exercise, with very limited living space... help!

Options
I'm a student and can't afford a gym membership, as much as I would love one :(
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how I could increase the amount of exercise I do? (Besides running/jogging). I live in the tiniest flat with 5 other people so I don't have much indoor space either! I can fit in a few sit ups/squats etc but that's about it!!
:)

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Pick up a Jillian Michaels DVD, i recommend 30 day shred or ripped in 30

My bedroom is maybe 10'X12' with a full bed, computer, desk and desk chair, and full size tv and I still have room to do the workouts :)
  • wifewith2boys
    Options
    I don't have a lot of living room space either. Jillian Micheals 30 day shred you don't need much room or any of the Leslie Sansone indoor walks. I found the Jillian dvd @ walmart for $10 .
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I used to jump rope in my apartment. A jump rope is about $3 and it's some great cardio. Add that to a little yoga and some push-ups, and you've got yourself a workout.
  • RawkChick
    RawkChick Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lunges, pushups, run stairs. There are so many variations to lunges and pushups that you can get in a good workout where ever you live. :)
  • AndrewTheWise
    Options
    Upper Body:

Decline Pushups
    Incline Pushups
    Standard Pushups
    Wide Fly Pushups
    Dive Bombers
    Curls with gallons of water

Lower Body:

Jump Squats
    Jumping Jacks
    Calf Raises
    Heisman Jumps
    Lunges

Core:

Sit Ups
    Crunches
    Reverse Crunches
    Hip Thrusts
    Flutter Kicks

Both:

Wall Sits
    Plyo Pushups
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    metabolic resistance training (spelling may be off) body weight exercises, the ol' fitness test stand-by's pushups situps/crunches

for weights grab a jug of milk or water that tightly seals... a closed can of soup... whatever. Lots you can do without a gym membership inside.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I used to jump rope in my apartment. A jump rope is about $3 and it's some great cardio. Add that to a little yoga and some push-ups, and you've got yourself a workout.

Ohh that's such a good idea! I've got one in my cupboard that I've had since I was in school... excellant! There's a little space outside the front door I can have a good jump around :)
  • slimkitty
    Options
    Jumping jacks, jump rope (with a pretend rope if you don't have enough room for a real rope), push ups, mountain climbers, squats, lunges, jumping on and off a chair, do animal walks around your apartment, if you have enough room for a yoga mat, you have enough room for yoga, all kinds of abdominal exercises, supermans, isometric exercises. There's plenty you can do. Don't overthink it. Just move.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    totally agree w everyone else. Try dvds like jilian michaels, turbo jam, bob harpers dvds or tae bo. Most of these can be done in small space. I love breathless body by amy dixon- this can be done in a bathroom if needed! free weights are great and so is tubes or jumpropes. Good luck!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises have been used for decades by the strongest, most fit people in the world. You don't need much room and you need just your own body. Coupled with isometric exercises, and you have the best exercises known to the human race and done by all members of the animal world.

If you have an iPad or some other I product, there are a number of free apps with nothing but this sort of exercise. But, you don't really need an app. If you're not sure how to do them, thee are lots of good books to get you started. The push--up is an example of a bodyweight exercise. They're hard to do but there are simple modifications.

For what it's worth, the military uses bodyweight exercises. That's how good they are.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You can also do a lot of good workouts with just one or two kettlebells in very little space.
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've also got extremely limited space and no access to a gym..aside from walking/hiking, I've been taking up yoga from DVDs (I love Sara Ivanhoe's Yoga Zone).
    For fun, sometimes I just bring up a youtube dance tutorial (tecktonic, shuffle and/or jumpstyle) and wig out, looking like an idiot but breaking a sweat and having a blast.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    So many good ideas, thank you!
    I guess I've just been overthinking it to the point of just not getting off my butt...
    Not any more :D
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've also got extremely limited space and no access to a gym..aside from walking/hiking, I've been taking up yoga from DVDs (I love Sara Ivanhoe's Yoga Zone).
    For fun, sometimes I just bring up a youtube dance tutorial (tecktonic, shuffle and/or jumpstyle) and wig out, looking like an idiot but breaking a sweat and having a blast.
    I love this idea and ididnt know you could find that on youtube but i guess evertyhin else is on there!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    A buddy here gave me this one and it helped my bust a plateau. Can jog in place instead of jumping jacks too

http://www.nowloss.com/workout-to-get-ripped-at-home-in-10-minutes.htm

Plus there is all kinds of work outs on youtube.com
  • ashleylynnexo
    ashleylynnexo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas. The 30 day shred I have seen and heard many success stories. While I am unable to do anything other than cardio until December (surgeons orders) I run in place in my kitchen and sometimes throw in the jumprope hand motions.
  • coachLisaF
    coachLisaF Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yo can do push ups. pull ups, and any kind of resistance training...grab a bleach jug and do some curls..
    .arm circles are also great, and pretty difficult! You can do some kenpo moves too!
    Just keep yourself moving, experament with different things. You dont need to spend $$ to get into shape.
    You can also grab a chair and do some push ups with that! Let me know if you need any help!
    Good luck!
    Lisa