How much protein is in hamburger?

I had hamburger for dinner and I put it in and no protein is listed. looked it up on internet and for 4 oz it's 26 or 28 how do you change it on you diary?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    You probably picked a bad item from the database. The ones in the "Sandwiches and Burgers" category seem to be "stock" (non-use-supplied) entries, so I usually use those. For example today, I logged "Sandwiches and burgers - Cheeseburger, large, single meat patty, with bacon and condiments"
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    You could find a different hamburger option in the database that has the correct protein information, or you could just add it to the database yourself.
  • i typed in hamburger and here is one that i found i picked one that is 80 percent lean and 20 percent fat with 231 calories 14g fat and 23g protein and 0 carbs. i buy the 95% stuff myself.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I found it's better to add each part of the burger separately. Which bun? How much ketchup? Any mustard? Cheese? How big was the patty? What kind of ground beef? 93/7? 85/15? 80/20? Etc. A bit more of a pain in the tushie than just adding one entry, but there's too many variables to assume someone's entry for a burger is going to match yours.

(I learned that lesson myself when I added, "homemade pb&j" and was so happy it was only 190 calories. Except that was maybe half a sandwich or using a much lower calorie bread than I use. When I make mine with two slices of oatnut bread, 2TBSP peanut butter and 1TBSP jelly, it's closer to 500 calories.)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I found it's better to add each part of the burger separately. Which bun? How much ketchup? Any mustard? Cheese? How big was the patty? What kind of ground beef? 93/7? 85/15? 80/20? Etc. A bit more of a pain in the tushie than just adding one entry, but there's too many variables to assume someone's entry for a burger is going to match yours.

^This.

There's no way to know exactly how much protein is in the hamburger you personally ate without knowing the brand of meat, fat value of the meat, toppings, ingredients (as some people mix other things that may have protein in it before cooking).

When I add something like this to my diary, I enter in each separate ingredient. I might save it as a recipe for later use, and if I do, then I make sure to buy those exact ingredients again next time. 90/10 has different nutrition values than 96/4, so if I make my usual 96/4 burgers one week and then they are out of that meat and I am stuck getting 73/27 next week, I enter it in separately.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member

(I learned that lesson myself when I added, "homemade pb&j" and was so happy it was only 190 calories. Except that was maybe half a sandwich or using a much lower calorie bread than I use. When I make mine with two slices of oatnut bread, 2TBSP peanut butter and 1TBSP jelly, it's closer to 500 calories.)

I agree. Enter individual ingredients in your "My Recipes" it gives you accurate info as long as you choose the correct items,potions.