Doing a paper and I need some help

Options
Hey there!
SO I'm starting research for my Final English paper. I chose "fad diets" as my topic, and I was hoping to get some information for some of you fabulous people.
SO, If you know any websites, if you know of any "fad diets" that actually work, that don't work, anything fad diet...I'd appreciate some help here!

I have barely started the research, but I'm getting more excited to write about this!!!

Thank you for the help :D

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    HCG
    Atkins
    South Beach
    Body by Vi
    Jenny Craig
    Slim Fast

Just a few to start your list in case you weren't sure where to start.

You should let us know when you're done with your paper - I'd be interested in reading it!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'd like to read it, too. I'd be interested in seeing what you find out.
  • elansdown
    Options
    This is a good list of many, many different diets out there, along with reviews: http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet/diets/diets-detailed/
    I would probably start with choosing a few diets that fall into either low-carb, low-fat, or low-calorie, and discuss the similarities/differences. The HCG diet is pretty controversial right now. Also many cleanses (i.e. The Master Cleanse) are forms of fad dieting. Good luck with your paper!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Good luck on your paper! I would like to read it too when you are finished.
  • SuddenlyPickles
    Options
    The Cabbage Soup diet! Blech.
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hello I would also like to read it but also there is weight watchers and ediets.com and also not sure if you want any diet clubs but there tops taking off pounds sensibly. Hope this helps
  • hatescows
    hatescows Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the diet, but I do make the soup pretty often. I like cabbage though.

Hey OP, good luck on your paper!
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options

I wonder how many calories are in a tapeworm?? :)
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I know that Weight Watchers has been touted as truly effective. I think because it uses "real" life food, instead of prepackaged meals, or starvation plans. It is meant to teach people to eat within a certain parameter, and make it a habit, or lifestyle, rather than view it as a true "diet".

My ex husband used to go on Atkins periodically. VERY effective in the short term. In the long term, it gave him gout. And there were a few other issues that I worried about (too many ketones, for example). And I was never convinced (when I tried it myself) that I wasn't just eating fewer calories.

Good luck with your paper!
  • donnaleejack
    Options
    Hi I have been doing the Hcb diet plan and it is really working for me. So far have lost about 16 pounds. I followed the diet exactly for the lst few weeks, and am on my second bottle of drops. I just signed up on this web site to track my food and calorie and exercise. I recommend that you call some health food stores and get some info on this plan. I feel great. Good luck on your paper.:flowerforyou:
  • Amf5627622
    Options
    Fad Diet - Healthe Trim! Bought it after listening to all the "success stories" What they don't tell you is that you have to completely give up caffeine, any kind of coffee, soda, etc. because it's basically just a bunch of stimulants! Nothing like paying $60 a bottle for something I could never stick to - no coffee? diet soda? caffeine? I took it for a few days and was so gittery. When I stopped I gained the 4 pounds I lost plus 2 more - in one week!
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    THE MASTER CLEANSE

not really a diet, but still should be accounted for haha
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think Consumer Reports ranked diet programs recently.
  • velarneyraptor
    velarneyraptor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Cabbage soup diet....
  • Karen_145
    Options
    Most fad diets work. Whether or not you can keep the weight off afterward is a different matter entirely.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i can't imagine any fad diet working. I've been thinking that if I want to keep off the weight I'm losing, I'll have to record for the rest of my life!
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The cleanse with the lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and honey.

Not sure if it's really a 'diet' per say, but it's aimed at people trying to jump start their weight loss!
  • dearbree
    Options
    Wow thank you all for the tips and suggestions! It'll be a few weeks till it's finished but I'll make sure to send a link to anyone who is interested in reading it!