Don't like the word DIET!

Options
I don't know about anyone else but I HATE the word diet because it is so often connected with failure, short term results(to me personally anyway), crackpot ideas about eating only soup and cabbage and it sounds so scary and unfun! I mean the first part is DIE for crying out loud. I really wouldn't call following this sites plan a "diet" because to me a diet is more about deprivation than moderation and in all honesty thats not right and I'm sorry but I believe if you deprive yourself you will fail! Now I'm not by any means suggesting that we ban the word diet from the site, but at least think about the word a little bit before you use it and maybe we will all succeed a bit more. For instance instead of saying "i'm on a diet" or "I decided to start dieting" wich can often lead to disapointment and self loathing if you over eat one day say things like "I'm trying to eat healthier" or "I want to get in shape." I'm not even sure if any of that made sense but staying away from negative words really helps me so I thought I'd just throw it out there and see if anyone could benefit from it as well.

Replies

• MIDGEKIN
    MIDGEKIN Posts: 113
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I HATE the word diet because it is so often connected with failure, short term results(to me personally anyway), crackpot ideas about eating only soup and cabbage and it sounds so scary and unfun! I mean the first part is DIE for crying out loud. I really wouldn't call following this sites plan a "diet" because to me a diet is more about deprivation than moderation and in all honesty thats not right and I'm sorry but I believe if you deprive yourself you will fail! Now I'm not by any means suggesting that we ban the word diet from the site, but at least think about the word a little bit before you use it and maybe we will all succeed a bit more. For instance instead of saying "i'm on a diet" or "I decided to start dieting" wich can often lead to disapointment and self loathing if you over eat one day say things like "I'm trying to eat healthier" or "I want to get in shape." I'm not even sure if any of that made sense but staying away from negative words really helps me so I thought I'd just throw it out there and see if anyone could benefit from it as well.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet...It's a LIFESTYLE change.:flowerforyou:
  • MIDGEKIN
    MIDGEKIN Posts: 113
    Options
    Perfect suggestion ICANDOIT!! I love it!!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Definately a lifestyle change =o)
  • carochar
    Options
    I completely agree -- I can't stand the word diet, either. And calling it a "program" sounds just as temporary.

So today I found myself telling my doctor, "I've changed my eating habits to healthy ones. The next time I see you, I'm hoping I won't be needing a refill for the blood pressure meds."

Yea, "changed my habits" -- that's the ticket.
  • rpowersrph
    Options
    Yes a lifestyle change is wright and it is a good thing to eat healthy think about the benifits you get and the habits you can model for others we are all in this together thanks for the help

God Bless