Eating too soon before a major workout?

Options
I was trying to fit everything in today and ate 4 pieces of Hawaiian delite pizza from Papa Murphy's and 15 to 20 minutes after I tried my new Wii game My Fitness Coach for the first time. I found the workout to be difficult 15-20 mintues into a 1 hr workout and I felt like I had a lump in my throat. Is this game just different enough that it is kicking my *kitten* or was it because I ate too soon before? or both?

I burned 801 calories for the same time period I workout using Wii Fit (20 min of is Yoga, then 10 hoola hoop, then 30 minutes jogging in place) which I burned about 500 yesterday.

Please give me your input whether its an opinion or educated knowledge....

Thanks in Advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I was trying to fit everything in today and ate 4 pieces of Hawaiian delite pizza from Papa Murphy's and 15 to 20 minutes after I tried my new Wii game My Fitness Coach for the first time. I found the workout to be difficult 15-20 mintues into a 1 hr workout and I felt like I had a lump in my throat. Is this game just different enough that it is kicking my *kitten* or was it because I ate too soon before? or both?

I burned 801 calories for the same time period I workout using Wii Fit (20 min of is Yoga, then 10 hoola hoop, then 30 minutes jogging in place) which I burned about 500 yesterday.

Please give me your input whether its an opinion or educated knowledge....

Thanks in Advance :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I give myself 1hr before or after a meal before i work out.....I tend to eat light not many carbs like breads ...so I would say give yourself 2hrs in that situation
  • clairenoelle
    Options
    You are definitely eating too soon before working out. I play an extremely intense collegiate sport and we monitor what we eat starting 3 hours prior to working out or competing. If you get really hungry before you work out, try having a granola bar, a piece of fruit, or some raisins to stave off the hunger until after you get your workout in. Once you've done your practice, the food's fair game : )

I realize three hours is a little extreme for everyday life, but you certainly don't want to be eating big meal any closer than an hour or two before you plan to workout.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    For a heavy duty exercise-you should wait an hour after.:drinker:
  • timetoembrace
    Options
    This is a good question. I needed to know also...

Thnks guys

144617.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    wait an hour you don't want to get cramps. :laugh:
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    After a big meal your body shunts alot of blood to your stomach, intestines, gallbladder etc to help digest that pizza you ate. Your working out too soon afterwards can give you headaches along with other various aches and pains - your body is trying to do two major things at once . I know I get that pain above my abdomen and a lovely headache if I workout too soon after a big meal. My family goes to brunch Sundays, I worked out probably 2 hours afterwards, I was ok..but could still feel the sluggishness...I have learned to try and workout before I eat a big meal, otherwise I pay for it. Do what I did....exercise before the Papa Muphys binge, I had 2 slices on Friday night..2 slices of the Chicago stuffed crust:blushing: plus some breadsticks:ohwell:
  • Cloudybe
    Cloudybe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Man now I want some pizza!! :bigsmile: I was wondering this too though...good to know!
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I didn't think I was that out of shape but also I was hoping that I'd burn that much more calories just because of the new game.