What would happen if you went on a liquid diet?

Options
Like if you only drank stuff like apple sauce?

Replies

• midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i would die...i love to chew.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i would die...i love to chew.
  • XxAshleixX
    Options
    I have tried this before, it isnt easy, but you really need to make sure you get all the different kinds that you would need. Also, I would suggest having atleast one solid meal a day. It is dangerous to not have solids as well.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You could try it out for a while then post back and let us know.
  • Chelseazavala
    Options
    I have tried this before, it isnt easy, but you really need to make sure you get all the different kinds that you would need. Also, I would suggest having atleast one solid meal a day. It is dangerous to not have solids as well.
    How much weight do you lose in 9 days?
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    you could just add water to your favorite meals, throw it in a blender, and voila! smoothie. mmmm lasagna smoothie....
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I actually had to do this for three weeks after surgery a couple years ago...I wanted to smoke a gun and I often refused to eat. Protein shakes were supposed to be my staple but they gagged me badly.

When I finally got to chew food (a scrambled egg), it was like Heaven. Anyhow, it did break me of craving sugars, fats and sweets so that when I finally did eat "real" food again, some of my worst diet habits were broken!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Weird that this comes up twice in one day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/400312-liquid-diet-curiousity

Was there recently some stupid article published touting the benefits of a liquid diet?
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Depends on what's in the liquid. A diet of only applesauce wouldn't work. Your body needs certain macronutrients (protein, fat, and fiber) and micronutrients (specific vitamins and minerals) to operate properly.

For weight loss, the quantity and proportion of macronutrients is key. Whether these are liquid or solid matters not.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My husband broke his jaw a few years ago and had his jaw wired shut. He was on a liquid diet for 6 weeks. Jello, pudding. milk shakes. We enen took a brownie, put it in a blender with milk and he drank it. He lost a ton of weight. I'm sure it wasn,t much fun!!
  • Bavina
    Options
    It all depends on what the liquid is. Lots of cleanses out there are liquid only for a week plus. Juices, energy drinks, soda, basically anything bought in plastic bottle or a can has tons of sugar and high fructose corn syrup in it, which will inevitably make you fat or overwork your adrenal glands. I'm on a mostly protein diet, so unless I wanted to blend my chicken salads or salmon dinners I would have to drink only protein drinks. Lame!
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've done it -- I lost 7lbs in 3 days. BUT I was making smoothies 3 times a day, using only fruits and veggies. By day 4, I had a horrible migraine, dizzy spells, muscle/joint pain... I think I was getting too much potassium, I put bananas in all my smoothies. I think if you have the will power, and you can balance your potassium levels it's doable. I definitely wasn't hungry at all when I did it!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I think people usually drop a ton of weight but then gain it all right back as soon as real food begins again.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I gues my issue with this is unless its for after surgery or some other medical need you are not training yourself to eat correctly and after your nine day diet you are still in the same place as before. Just eat right and move you will lose weight.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I had to following surgery and I blended lots of yummy meals. Butter chicken is surprisingly good blended, lol
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

As long as you hit your caloric goals and macro ratios you will be fine, you just might have a major case of the runs.
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I gues my issue with this is unless its for after surgery or some other medical need you are not training yourself to eat correctly and after your nine day diet you are still in the same place as before. Just eat right and move you will lose weight.

^^^^^^^this.

Why would you WANT to do this to yourself???? I LOVE food too much. I'd go CRAZY!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

As long as you hit your caloric goals and macro ratios you will be fine, you just might have a major case of the runs.

Lol! exactly. You aren't going to lose anymore fat if you do this vs solid food. More weight yes, but it you will regain it.