Rotator Cuff Exercises...

Options
I have issues with my shoulders/rotator cuffs. The issue is, they hurt! Not all the time, but when they do it feels like my arms are being ripped out of their sockets with a dull and rusty ice pick.

So, what are your favorite/useful rotator exercises and stretches? Alternatively, what are some weightlifting exercises that I can do that won't make me feel like my arms could fall off at any moment?

Thanks!

Replies

• alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Internal/external rotations
  • steveh08
    steveh08 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
  • SaraTV
    SaraTV Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Sounds like you might have some over stretched or lengthened muscles in the rotator cuff area-ouch. Try strengthening the area by doing some low rows. Focus on squeezing your shoulder blades (scapula) together and try to avoid using your biceps for the "pull" part of the movement. Also, try to open up your pec area, stretch by doing some wall stretches to open up the chest. We tend to get very tight in the chest from 1. computer time 2. driving 3. working with children. Try to keep those shoulders back and the chest/heart open. Try to find a good bodywork or massage therapist to help relieve those trigger points and ask them to show you how to self treat with a tennis ball or foam roller. Good luck and excellent work on your weight loss!
  • hbar98
    hbar98 Posts: 39
    Options
    SaraTV, you just gave me the best excuse ever to see a massage therapist.

steveh08, thanks! I'll take a look at those.

alliecore, care to expand on that? How much weight do you use?
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    I have been fighting shoulder issues as well for most of this year. I have been diagnosed with 3 or 4 different conditions, had 3 MRI and still no real resolution. I find that the stretching exercises help in regards reducing the amount of discomfort I have, but any attempt at strength training seems to just re-aggravate the condition. I hope the exercises/stretching helps you hbar98. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    SaraTV, you just gave me the best excuse ever to see a massage therapist.

steveh08, thanks! I'll take a look at those.

alliecore, care to expand on that? How much weight do you use?

Sorry, I just now saw this. :) As far as proper form, I suggest looking on You Tube or Bodybuilding.com for some good video demos. I used VERY light weights....personally no more than 3 lbs. The rotator cuff is a muscle that responds very well to high reps of low weight. Too much weight can cause further injury. When my rotator cuff was giving me fits (a year ago....to the point that I couldn't bench press or do push ups...I couldn't even use that arm to reach behind me), I did 4 sets of 25. I was amazed at how well my shoulder responded. Now I have no pain whatsoever; and while I will always be mindful of that shoulder (I choose not to do shoulder flies, for example, because they always seem to stress it too much), it doesn't hold me back a bit anymore. Hope that helps! And good luck.....I totally know how much a RC injury sucks.