How Often Do You Work Out??

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I work out every Monday - Friday during my lunch break.
    It's about 30 min cardio, 5-7 min stretching.
    When I have a little longer, I add in strength training.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    when i started i did zumba 1-2 days a week but now i work out around 5 or 6 days a week... i would like to work out every day cause i love how i feel after im done. i seem to have so much energy after. But my personal trainer says no more than 6 days a week ...:grumble:
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    Remember to stretch. It helps muscle recovery and your knees won't hurt so badly.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I normally workout 6 days a week. I vary my workouts, I never do the same cardio two days in a row. I walk, run, intervals, stationary bike, cardio videos. I strength train 2-3 days a week. My workouts last anywhere from 45-90mins depending on how much time I have and what I am doing. I stretch after every workout. I try to take my day off in the middle of the week and I focus on my nutrition that day since I eat less. :flowerforyou:
  • vonzo
    vonzo Posts: 161
    Options
    5 days a week. I do cardio mon, wed and fri and then toning tues and thurs. I work saturday and sundays so they are my days off from exercise. I do alot of running about at work and am predominantly on my feet, add in 2 little ones when I get home to get dinner for, bathed and ready for bed I feel I have done enough :o) In saying that though, I haven't worked out since last wenesday and I feel majorly guilty about it. I've still been fine with my food but I'm dying with the flu so working out is the last thing on my mind :frown:
  • shoppingqueen34
    shoppingqueen34 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week.

Sunday - Xflowsion yoga - 1:15
    Monday - off
    Tuesday - Aerobics Class - 1 hour and Dance Class - 1 hour
    Wednesday - Xlowsion yoga 1:15 or Aerobics 1 Hour
    Thursday - AM 1 hour Run (Approx 6 miles)
    Friday - off
    Saturday - AM Run - 1.5 hour

I sometimes throw in an extra aerobics class on Monday or Thursday here and there, depending on how busy I am.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    6 days a week here. But lately it's been 7. One of my days is a *lighter* day though. I just started half marathon training, so I have 3 days of running (one day of speedwork, one tempo run, and one long run), and then I strength train (right now I'm doing ChaLean Extreme, before I have done P90X) 3 other days. I also swim twice (after I run usually) and work my abs 3 days a week in the evenings w/ my hubby.

It will be more once I start triathlon training, then I will add in the biking. :wink:

But... I always listen to my body and if I'm not feeling well or just tired then I will take a rest day or do yoga, etc.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    OK, I am going to hijack my own thread...So those of you who are working out , are you consistently getting all your exercise cals? I have a cardio pump class 1 x week where I burn 1200-1400 calories per my HRM - and this class is in the evening . Most days I get most of my calories, but on cardio pump days my net calorie need is close to 3000 calories:noway: I know I could get in the calories, but I just don't want that much! I know the subject of "rollover calories" has come up before, are any of you using some of your extra calories on non exercise days? Hope that makes sense....
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing lots of these rest days.....I don't take a rest day....a rest day to me is one day a week I do something non gym related, I go rollerblading, swimming, I play tennis with my kids, there is absolutely nothing wrong with working out to some capacity every day of the week, maybe i'm wrong but these "rest" days, does that mean you just sit around all day?? I don't get that??
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days at the gym then take a rest day:flowerforyou:

2-3 hours a day typically at the gym plus I do vids, crunches and pushups etc. at home

3 of my days are strength training so they alternate days, I do cardio on those days too and cardio on the remaining days as well.

FC:heart:

What types of things are you doing for strength training on those days. I've just joined the gym and not sure what's best to start with for strength
  • shoppingqueen34
    shoppingqueen34 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing lots of these rest days.....I don't take a rest day....a rest day to me is one day a week I do something non gym related, I go rollerblading, swimming, I play tennis with my kids, there is absolutely nothing wrong with working out to some capacity every day of the week, maybe i'm wrong but these "rest" days, does that mean you just sit around all day?? I don't get that??

I take off days because I work full time in addition to owning my own business. So for me I need those days to catch up with work, actually make dinner, housework etc. I'm a super busy person :) I'd love to be able to work out 7 days a week, but my life does not allow for it.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

uh no i dont think any of us sit around... I know for myself EVERY day is filled with kids and running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get kids out the door and make lunch and clean and grab the kids off the bus and run to the store.... i think a rest day is more of a day where you dont set a spacific workout... my average day is pretty active ... but i am not at the gym doing 700 calories burn with zumba... that is a rest day in my books
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

uh no i dont think any of us sit around... I know for myself EVERY day is filled with kids and running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get kids out the door and make lunch and clean and grab the kids off the bus and run to the store.... i think a rest day is more of a day where you dont set a spacific workout... my average day is pretty active ... but i am not at the gym doing 700 calories burn with zumba... that is a rest day in my books

OK I get that, I have 6 kids, and I don't want to be in the gym everyday, I just had the idea, that people were using it as an excuse to do nothing...because my trainer said so...i'm a trainer, and i've never told a client, to have a "rest" day but to have a day where they do a family activity, even if that means a walk that day...I didn't want to offend anyone, I just wasn't getting it....:tongue::noway:
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options

On my rest day I do up to an hour of stretching with some yoga. Rest just means no weight lifting or cardio.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

On my rest day I do up to an hour of stretching with some yoga. Rest just means no weight lifting or cardio.
    Yes for me it means no strength training:flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    OK, I am going to hijack my own thread...So those of you who are working out , are you consistently getting all your exercise cals? I have a cardio pump class 1 x week where I burn 1200-1400 calories per my HRM - and this class is in the evening . Most days I get most of my calories, but on cardio pump days my net calorie need is close to 3000 calories:noway: I know I could get in the calories, but I just don't want that much! I know the subject of "rollover calories" has come up before, are any of you using some of your extra calories on non exercise days? Hope that makes sense....

I rarely eat my excercise calories and I try to get in excercise everyday even if its not the same intensity that I do on other days.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Thanks for bringing that up I have been wondering this as well. Mainly because I do not have a day off so I wondered what everyone else did with theirs..
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I workout 6 days at the gym then take a rest day:flowerforyou:

2-3 hours a day typically at the gym plus I do vids, crunches and pushups etc. at home

3 of my days are strength training so they alternate days, I do cardio on those days too and cardio on the remaining days as well.

What types of things are you doing for strength training on those days. I've just joined the gym and not sure what's best to start with for strength
    I use the machines and do a bit of free weights, but am not as knowledgable about them as I'd like to be...but I'm braving it out and asking folks to show me.:blushing: :drinker: Not sure how your gym is set up but with mine there is always several trainers around more than happy to set you up with what's gonna work for you regarding cardio and what weigh machines you'd benefit from.

When I first joined they give an evaluation and set up all the machines for you on the Kiosk/computer system so when you hit the machines and put your password in it shows all the seat positions, weights etc. to set it up for you personally. I've been there long enough I recall most of mine to set up but it nice so when you add more reps and weight it's a little reminder.

Have fun at the GYM!!:bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

But... I always listen to my body and if I'm not feeling well or just tired then I will take a rest day or do yoga, etc.
    That's also what I find myself doing, so for me perhaps 'rest day' is not the proper term as I do workout at home on those days or go out and do something very active.:drinker:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    ah no sitting around here....if I take a day off it might be for many reasons, perhaps catching up on bill paying, house cleaning, planning meals for the week, cooking meals ahead....ya know regular life stuff that all needs to be done.:flowerforyou: