UK friends - help me! :)

Options
_SpeshK_
_SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
OK, English folks! I've always been fascinated with the UK...and recently at my job (I work in a hotel), I have met the most intriguing and attractive man from Croydon. Needless to say I am quite taken with this Englishman...any suggestions on charming him?? LOL....I'm laughing but I'm dead serious.

Replies

• luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Standard man advice, show up naked, bring beer!

Good luck!
  • _SpeshK_
    Options
    LOL! Well we all know nudity is the universal language. I was just wondering, as an American, what kind of differences there may be, culturally, to help me snag this man! HAHAHA.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Good luck!

love your response and agree, I wonder is that luv bolton wanderers?
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    haha Croyden. All you'll need is a pint, a shot of tequilla.

no in all seriousness just be yourself. if he's a decent bloke he'll try just as hard with you. good luck x
  • luvbwfc
    Options

Good luck!

love your response and agree, I wonder is that luv bolton wanderers?

It is indeed OCSWA!
  • luvbwfc
    Options
    LOL! Well we all know nudity is the universal language. I was just wondering, as an American, what kind of differences there may be, culturally, to help me snag this man! HAHAHA.

In some ways we are quite close culturally, as we get a *kitten* ton of US television over here. As I understand you can see our stuff on BBC America or similar.

From what I can tell dating culture is a little different. You would tend to be dating one person at a trime in the UK, but I think until it gets serious you can be dating several in US?
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    football/soccer! As a Canadian living over here (near Croydon actually!) its obsessive with the male form and some of the female....other than that be yourself!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm british and married to an American. Just be yourself, but be prepared for some cultural differences.

And avoid conversations like this :p (you'll have to imagine the sarcastic tone, which btw is a lot more subtle in British English and Americans often miss it and think Brits are being serious when we're not)

him: *knocks on the bathroom door* Are you in the tub?
    me: No I'm not, I'm in the bath.

me: That's not a sidewalk, it's a pavement. THIS is a sidewalk. *walks sideways*

him: That's not a jumper, it's a sweater. THIS is a jumper *jumps up and down*
  • _SpeshK_
    Options
    Eh. I guess in America, you would call it, "dating around" with a few people if you wanted...until you are "exclusive" with someone.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I live 10 min drive away from Croydon. Just be yourself. Doesn't matter when he is from, if you have to change yourself to attract him then it's not worth it.

That said, english lad from round here tend to be quite relaxed & like a laugh, having a beer, watching football so just be friendly & have fun.

Good luck.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    hhhhhhmmmmmmmm......... being a hardcore born and bread specimen from the English Empire, what would I like an American women to do to win me over......... Well for one dont pick up bad habbits from English Ladies like:- nagging, moaning, spending every penny on clothes, taking to long to get ready, wee with the door open, list goes on :tongue: , I would show him how American girls role, might be a nice change for him, shame we dont get any american women in Warwickshire :wink: .
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Cultural issues only come later when you live together.....

And as an English woman, you mention spending every penny on clothes and weeing with the door open...God help me I would NEVER do either of these...ever..EVER

And I am not a nag or a moaner...
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    And as an English woman, you mention spending every penny on clothes and weeing with the door open...God help me I would NEVER do either of these...ever..EVER

And I am not a nag or a moaner...
    [/quote]

yea right!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I would probably say try not to focus too much on the fact that you are from different countries.

Oh, but if something seems really odd to you then keep in mind that it could be a complete misunderstanding...

Flashback to 2008 when my (now) husband's mother got him a hoodie for Christmas that said 'Got root?' on the front. Apparently this is some geeky computer reference but I was incredibly offended by it and thought it was really bizarre that his Mum would buy it for him. See, in Australia 'root' is an incredibly derogatory term for sex so a hoodie that said 'Got root?'... well, I think you get it! After weeks of arguing over the damn thing we finally realised that we were talking about different things altogether! And he gave the hoodie to his work colleague :P
  • karenjoy
    Options
    .yea right!

I think you should speak to my Husband then, he will agree with me. But if you get nagged and moaned at, maybe you need it.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Just be yourself!
    Maybe the guy is in the States because he likes American girls ;-)
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Just be yourself!
    Maybe the guy is in the States because he likes American girls ;-)

haha I'm totally picturing the guy from 'Love Actually' who goes to America now :P
  • bigfluffyjujubird
    Options
    i agree, just be yourself! if he doesnt like you for you then i dont think he is worth knowing!

by the way its jam not jelly. jelly is something else entirely, this also goes for chips ;0) hahahaaaa
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    and fanny :laugh:
  • karenjoy
    Options
    oh god yes, don't use the word fanny lol