Do you take off on the weekends?

Do you take off the exercising on the weekends and just watch your calories that day? I have walked 2 miles (the walking at home program so its toning and walking) Monday through Friday and was thinking about taking off Saturdays and Sundays.

Replies

• pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    I usually just take Sundays as a rest day. I go to the gym and/or walk M - F, on Saturdays I put in a Jillian Michaels DVD. On Sundays I "rest". Its easier now that I am on maintenance calories so I occasionally take Saturday off too, depends on how active I am doing my weekend "chores". Personally, I think at least one rest day per week is a good idea.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    I work out every other day. I used to do every day but had an injury, so they want me to lay off. It is really about time spent/calories burned, so if you get 3 one hour workouts (walks) whatever, then you can split that up into 6 days if you want. Even the daily deficits can be overcome but a good workout that next day. It is just better to keep track each day so you don't get off. My doctor said no more than 2 days off in a row, and three hours a week. I will always take a rest day a week after this.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    I generally work sooo many weekends, and I don't have time to get to the gym. I generally try to go 3-4 times per week, I don't beat myself when I can't. Like today and tomorrow, I'm working 7am till midnight, it's JUST not possible....

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    If I've been good all week then sometimes I'll take off the weekend and just watch calories but this week I have had a lot of high sodium days and already one over-calorie-goal day so I'm being strict over the weekend. I do think you gotta let yourself have some slack in some form somewhere. At least I do. But it doesn't have to be a huge thing. Most weeks I just have one cheat meal.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    weekends are a little easier for me to get to the gym.....I typically work out 3 days during the week and 2 on the weekend. My weekend workouts are intense spinning classes but that does let me have a few cheat meals still!
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    I do workouts six days per week. Sundays are an active rest day for me. The wife and I usually take a little 10 mile ride around the neighborhood. It's at about 13.5 mph and my heart rate stays in the 120's. It's an easy ride that usually only gets me about 400 calories or so. We also walk the dog, but that is only 30 minutes of walking, so I don't record that as exercise for me.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Depends. I try not to run every day. I throw in random rest days. Now that it's autumn, I have to anticipate the weather. I ran long on Wednesday. Took Thursday off. Gym day Friday. Raining tomorrow...that means run this morning! LOL

Every week is different...depends on my schedule, my stress level, my motivation, (my injuries). I try to keep my body guessing, too.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    some weekends i do go off the rails, i go out and probably drink way over 2000 cals in a matter of a few hours! :tongue:

but i do still excercise because my weigh in's are every sunday morning.

im not going to stop myself from haveing a good ole drink here and there, i just need to excercise beforehand! to make sure im still under calories. :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Just Sunday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I now go to the gym 4 or 5 days throughout Mon-Fri and take the whole weekend off as rest days.

Sometimes (like today) I still have to walk into town and back to go food shopping, 20 mins each way, but apart from that I don't really do much. I like my days off :)
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    No!!!! I work full-time and have a 4 year old. I need to get the most out of those days!!!!
  • mrdee555
    mrdee555 Posts: 178
    Flat out at the minute morning cardio 7 days a week and weights 6 days a week sore on the nervous system tho dont feell that good tbh lol
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    When I started working out, I only did work outs three days a week to build the habit. Now, I'm on a 5 day a week schedule:
    Mon, Tues, Wed = Work out
    Thurs = Rest/stretch/yoga
    Fri, Sat = Work out
    Sun = Rest/stretch/yoga

Sometimes weekends get crazy and I don't get into the gym Saturday. That's life. I don't beat myself up over it. I just made sure that I didn't make a plan that assumes I'll get into the gym Saturday AND Sunday. If I'm out of town or whatever, I take the four days a week I go and get back to it Monday morning! I work full-time, am in grad school, and taking a writing course, so for me the key was to form habits that I could stick to and worked with life :)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    I exercise 6 days a week and rest on Sundays. I think a weekend would be too long of a break for me. Some people can jump back to their routine right away every week but not me. I have to keep the momentum going.
  • Juliealittle
    Juliealittle Posts: 22 Member
    I work out hard about 5-6 days a week (either swim for an hour, bike for 1-1.5 hours or do the C25K program) and sometimes it's easier to fit the time in on a weekend. I don't ever take the weekend off just for the sake of being the weekend. I always feel great after a workout, so I look forward to them! I think I may be addicted to the endorphins. :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I like to eat a lot of indulgent, decadent food on the weekends, so I always go HARDER on my workouts so I can afford the extra calories. :-)

Weekdays are much easier for me to do moderate workouts and moderate calories.
  • I make sure that I work out at least 4 times per week, but aim for 5-6. However, I have found that the days I don't exercise seem to be harder than the days I do (which helps with the motivation to go work out). As long as not every day is a day off, you're good.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 741 Member
    I jog MWF and strength train T/Th. I take Saturday and Sunday off, giving a full 2 days rest to let the body heal/recover.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    I watch my calories every single day and exercise whenever I have the energy and the time. It's harder about once every 4-6 weeks when we go 'back home' to visit family - lots of fast food and meals that I didn't cook, plus no time for exercise. I just do my best during those trips but try not to freak out if I'm a little over on calories.
  • MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    I work out Monday-Friday, bare minimum of 30 minutes a day, saturday I spend the day cleaning my house from the weeks activities, & the cyclone of children running in and out. I get all my rooms cleaned, all the laundry and dishes done and if its not too cold I clean the car and the yard. (Today I got the car done and gave up outside, I couldnt feel my legs anymore!). I get a good 400+ calorie burn depending on how much of a disaster I am faced with. Sunday is my "rest" day. Most of the time were out and about, grocery shopping, ice fishing, walking the dogs, cleaning the yard, or sledding. I give my body a chance to recoop after the week, even tho I am usually constantly moving, its a different action and keeps my body guessing. I hate being stuck on a plateau so I never get stuck doing the same thing for too long.