Accuracy of HRM

Options
According to the treadmill HRM, 30 minutes of interval running burns about 200 calories on my 54yr old 126 lb body, According to various charts, when I run outdoors for 40 minutes, about 300. My new HRM watch told me I burned 450 calories running outdoors..NO WAY ! I believe I set it up correctly, but that's extreme IMHO. What do you find to be the most accurate? Usually I JUST DO IT ! I haven't tried it yet for weight training, using JM30DS....intense! What do you burn?

Replies

• Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    What kind of HRM did you purchase? Did you get one with the chest strap? I have a POLAR FT40 with the chest strap. I LOVE it!!!! :flowerforyou:

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LoriB57
    LoriB57 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's Timex and has the chest strap. I mostly wanted to see my heart rate to get an idea. And time my runs. Not all that serious, JUST DO IT ! Love that advice!
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    The MAIN reason why I purchased one was.....I knew how many calories I was burning when I was on the treadmill and that was it. I had no idea how many calories I burned while I was working with my PT or doing any kind of circuit training....
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Well, there's a huge variance. I think Polar when it comes to calories burned is probably more accurate than Timex. I say that having, just today, switched from my RS300x running watch to the new Timex Run Trainer. I did a 4 mile, 40 minute run today that I didn't even consider particularly hard and my new Timex said I burned 866 calories. My Polar on similar runs has never been above 450 or 500 depending on the intensity. One thing I noticed immediately was that my Polar watch allowed me to enter more data such as VO2 max which Timex does not and I think that makes a significant difference in the accuracy of calories burned.

If you want the most precise HRM for caloric burn measurement then you need a Polar, IMO. I switched to Timex almost entirely because I wanted a more accurate running watch and I knew I'd be sacrificing that stat. That said, all of the HR monitors should give you an accurate HR measurement no matter what 8)