I want to change my eating habit but don't want to feel like

Options

Replies

• ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I don't want to feel like I'm on a diet.

this will happen when you change your mindset from "I'm on a diet" to "this is the way I will live the rest of my life"

^^^Exactly this. It's hard when you first start, I understand...but when you realize what you are putting in your body EVERYDAY is what's making you unhappy about yourself, you have to change...you have to WANT to change. Obviously you do because you've done a great job logging your exercise! If you love eating blueberry pancakes every weekend, save it for every other weekend. If you love Famous Amos cookies (which I do!) and eat a whole snack size bag, try eating 4 cookies today and save 4 for tomorrow...take baby steps. It's not about getting rid of your favorite foods, it's about eating them in moderation. I love food! I eat pizza 2-3 times a week. I don't eat Dominoes, I make my OWN version, and most of the time I find myself craving my healthier pizza than some papa johns or something. We've all been there. I use to drink juice with dinner every night, about 2 servings (16 oz). When I started using this website I learned that one serving contains 32 grams of sugar! I was having 64 g of sugar in my drink with dinner ALONE. I'm only allowed 32g of sugar a DAY! What!!!

You will find that myfitnesspal is an amazing tool/gift if you use it properly. Support is what we're here for!

Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:
  • tillmanlady
    tillmanlady Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lookitsmikel
    Options
    Check out the book "Cook This Not That 350 Calorie Meals". This was the book that helped me realize that I can be on a diet and still eat great food that I love. It is important to watch the portions, these meals can add up quickly, but it gets MUCH easier as you go on. I'm on week 3 now, and it took me about 1 1/2 weeks before I got used to eating less calories every day. Now it's simple! I removed everything from the house that was unhealthy, and stocked up on tons of fruits and veggies to snack on when needed. I also got some of those 90 calorie snack bars. I only eat those when I think I'm going to do something crazy like eat a king size candy bar. Haha! Just get in the habit of logging everything, and you'll be good to go!
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't want to feel like I'm on a diet.

this will happen when you change your mindset from "I'm on a diet" to "this is the way I will live the rest of my life"
    This is EXACTLY how I feel. It's a lifestyle change, not something that in a few weeks I'm going to go OFF of!!!! I like your way of thinking....

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MzKym30
    MzKym30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Guys yall are awesome...I enjoyed reading everyone's post!!! This motivates me even more...I know what I have to do! I'm going to make small changes weekly until I get my mindset right. I know I can do this...so glad I joined mfp. I'm going to start back tomorrow logging what I eat...I did notice that I did better logging when I decided what I would eat the night before. Thanks so much guys...love you! Look out for this new hot mommy coming your way SOON!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast saved me 4-500 cals.

Skipping breakfast? why would you skip breakfast? Sets you up for the day!

Eating breakfast offers no metabolic advantage, so it's just a waste of calories to me. I'd rather save those calories for when i really want them.

This! I find I don't need breakfast so I don't see the point in eating it. It doesn't boost your metabolism or any such nonsense. I'd much rather have a huge satisfying dinner :)
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    ditto on the portions. My doctor told me to limit to 1600 calories a day for three months, then come back for blood work and suggestions if I didn't lose any weight. I admit, I was really hungry and dizzy for a few weeks. I was surprised that 1600 calories must have been way less than I was eating, and I really never ate that much -- I guess the calories add up! After losing 9 pounds and hitting a plateau (after about a month) I found it very easy to cut down further on calories. But, the important thing is to make progress and not perfection your aim. Biggest Loser recommends your current weight times 7 (for me this it 192 x 7 = 1344 calories per day). Obviously, that will go down week to week as you lose.

Self deprivation is never fun. I recommend a delicious dessert (one serving please) once a week, or a beer if that's your thing. But, unless you make the changes needed, you're going to stall and get frustrated pretty fast.

God Bless and good luck!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Pretty much I started off eating healthier at 1800 calories. I tried incorporating vegetables and fruits into all of my meals. I would eat carrots or an apple for a snack instead of chips.... As time goes on, you WANT these healthier things. I do not crave fast food very often. It's just not as satisfying as a home cooked meal. Start with small changes... Set weekly/monthly goals and keep improving on them. At some point, you will struggle to eat ENOUGH calories when you eat so healthily. It's just so much food! I still allow myself to eat whatever I want. I am having a bacon cheeseburger tonight, just with leaner beef and turkey bacon. It's all about moderation. You will get there.

Oh... Also, I eat a piece of chocolate after dinner on most days. Probably not the best thing, but hey, I've still lost 24 pounds and do not ever feel deprived!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Small lunch saves me another 2-300.

Sweeteners in my tea saved me yet another 2-300.

There, that's 1,000 cals i can now have when i actually want them, and have more of the food i actually want :D

I'm sorry, but NO. Skipping breakfast is awful for your metabolism and it is essential energy you need to start your day.

Start slowly. Look at what you ate for breakfast this morning, or like to fix and find a way to make it healthier. get healthier breads, meats, cheeses, eggs, etc. I have gotten to the point where I get excited about making a recipe healthier and lower in calories! It's a never ending game! Like this coming week, my hubby & I are taking on pumpkin pie & pecan pie. I cant wait to start experimenting!
  • MzKym30
    MzKym30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot...pumpkin pie & pecan pie sounds really good!!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I have made very small changes that ended up with big rewards, in another words calorie savings!!!

Start with one meal of the day-breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks, and improve it then go to the next meal.

For breakfast, I now have egg whites instead of the whole egg which save me lots of calories. I eat the Apples and Cinnamon reduce sugar oatmeal which helps to save some calories vs. eating the regular apples and cinnamon oatmeal. AND it is tasty because of the apple and cinnamon!

For Lunch, I have went from 70 calorie a slice bread to 35 calorie a slice bread. Sarah Lee 45 calories a slice is so thin that I never really felt I was eating a sandwich, however you get used to it. Now, I eat Healthy Life 100% whole weat bread. This is 35 calories a slice. I also have went from regular tuna and crackers, to lite tuna and crackers, to fat free tuna and crackers Bumble Bee brand. I like those now!

For dinner, I cut some portions. I also realized I could eat a whole cup of broccoli for only 40 calories! That's quite a bit of broccoli. Now I even get to put cheese on it! Maybe someday I will remove the cheese to save even more calories, but I don't think I will HAVE to.

Also, Dessert I went from 150 calorie eclair ice cream Good Humor bar, to 140 calorie mint sandwich skinny cow ice cream, to 110 cookie and cream truffle Skinny cow t0 100 calorie CHOCOLATE truffle bar Skinny cow <--- my favorite! And it's HUGE!

There ya go.. slowly but surely and I eat ice cream every day :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I agree that small changes are the way to go. If you are new to losing weight, don't dive into the pool head first. Stick your toes in the water before jumping in.

That means, if you are currently eating 2300 calories a day, don't try to switch to eating only 1200 calories all of a sudden and wonder why you're hungry.

Start by just logging what you've been doing. It will help you compare later on as you change and as your weight changes with you.

Then, reduce it by a couple hundred for a week and see how you feel.

It might be easier to make slow changes. For example, one week, focus on drinking more water. The next week, look for foods with fiber (or protein, or reducing the sugar, or pay attention to some other macro nutrient.) One week you can work out 10 minutes, three times that week. The next week, you can work out for 20 minutes, three times... you get the idea. You don't have to drop your eating in half and start working out an hour every day right off the bat. If you do that, you'll end up hungry and tired, and you'll want to give up. (Ask me how I know.)

Don't deprive yourself. Eat until you are satisfied, but try not to eat cake, potato chips or other treat until you are full. Try to eat healthy foods that nourish your body, and view the snacks as little treats that they are intended to be. Try not to deny yourself of the foods you have always known and loved. Eat what you want, when you want, but try to learn about what the proper portion size is, and read the label to see what exactly you are eating.

It is hard to get started, and I'm glad you don't want to feel like you are on a diet. This is a good start!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    OP, your statement in your original post that you don't know WHAT to eat is a really good question. If you're really confounded about what you should eat and how much of it you should be eating, maybe it would be a good idea to consult with a nutritionist. If you really want to make sure you're around for your son (I assume that's him in your ticker), you're going to have to learn all that stuff for yourself. A nutritionist can help you go over your diet to see what (if any) adjustments you need to make to reach your goals.

There's a lot of information out there, and for everything you read, you can find something else that contradicts it. I think if you're totally stumped, that might be a good place to start.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Small lunch saves me another 2-300.

Sweeteners in my tea saved me yet another 2-300.

There, that's 1,000 cals i can now have when i actually want them, and have more of the food i actually want :D

I'm sorry, but NO. Skipping breakfast is awful for your metabolism and it is essential energy you need to start your day.

I'm sorry, but i advise you to do some research. Breakfast does not "boost your metabolism" or any such nonsense. The only advantage it may offer some people is it could reduce cravings later on. If you don't get these cravings, or easily resist, then it's simply not necessary. As for essential energy, again, from a biological viewpoint, it's hardly essential. Some people may find they need it, others, like myself, don't. To me it's just a waste of calories i could spend on a nice big dinner! :D
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    i understand how you feel. i hate the diet midset. i'm still working on it. you'll feel less restricted if you eat what you like but just less of it. i usually eat 2 burgers, 2 sandwiches, 2 big tacos. eating just 1 is hard at first but much more enjoyable than not eating them at all lol
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Add veggies to everything! They make you feel full, and they have hardly an calories. You actually probably burn some calories from eating veggies because the body has to break them down...
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I can't NOT eat breakfast. By the time I've worked out and restricted a heavy-duty evening meal, I wake up HUNGRY! This, for me, is a good sign. It means I burned off all my calories from the day before and my body now needs FUEL. I snag a small bowl of cereal or a banana before my morning workout, then have another equally small breakfast afterward, usually has more protein in it!

But NO, most people are asking for a BAD DAY when they skip breakfast. The body has gone 8 HOURS with NO FUEL, you can bet it needs food. Waiting to eat leads to really bad decisions, foodwise. My husband thinks it's okay to go without food for 8-9 hours after sleepign all night (and not eating), and when he eats, his first stop is BURGER KING, and wonders why he is overweight. That ONE MEAL screwed him.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am a Geography major. I emphasized in environmental, as a result I learned about topics like Green Revolution, hybrid crops, pestacides etc etc.

So for me, it was a no brainer! Limited or no processed foods. Because I value my life, I deserve to be healthy, I take responsibility for my own action and don't want to be unhealthy!

In todays world, where even the most active person can get hit with cancers, and such diseases that the amount of science states it IS associated with the American diet. It became little effort for me at that time.

I eat to live. I don't live to eat. When I made that association, when I took responsibility to know what I was eating, everything else became like I was eating from a urinal. Would you eat from a urinal if you knew you were?

I am not on a diet. I eat what my body needs, maybe something enjoyable here and there and nothing more. As a result, I have capacity for fitness, desire for life, labido, I feel sexy. My friends and family notice I have a pep in my step, that is a direct relation to my choice to eat healthy, and my choice to live healthy. It's that simple.

Those who want will, those who don't will make excuses. Find the value, and ask yourself what am I gaining in life from eating unhealthy?
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I've become a little bit of a zealot... Sorry in advance for all the long-windedness

I'm 49 and have struggle my whole life (I have 3 rail-thin sisters who I never measured up to)
    I'm all about doing this for the long-term. Doesn't matter how long it takes as long as I can maintain.

Here's how I started:

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress. (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me I did the math to find out the calories needed to maintain my goal weight and my current weight and I gave myself a range with 1200 as my rock bottom, lose 1 lb/wk as my target*** and maintain my goal weight as the top of my range. As long as I keep within in this range I'll lose. I tend to naturally zig zag my calories 3-4 at very close to my target and then a higher calorie day closer to the top of my range.

As long as I stayed under maintain my current weight calories I won't gain. So no need to throw in the towel, just pick-up where I left off.

Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.)

***also once my lose 1 lb/week target was down to 1200 calories I switch to lose 1/2 lb/ week (1200 cal rock bottom, 1/2 lb/week as my target, maintain goal weight as the high end of my range.)

Food is not the enemy.
    Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occassional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time the occassional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.

Good Luck
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Ok I logged what I ate for breakfast this morning & I could not believe how many cals I had at one setting. I'm doing really good with logging my workouts but not so good on logging what I eat. I know I need to eat heathier but I don't want to feel like I'm on a diet. I need your HELP!!:sad: What has worked for you? Can you guys tell me what you are doing? Have done? All feedback is welcomed!!!!

I do not restrict myself from anything because I am not dieting. I am eating better. For instance, if you had 5 pancakes, 4 sausage links and 16 oz of orange juice this morning for breakfast, I would cut that in half. *I* would have 1/2 cup of pancake batter (which will probably make 2 nice sized pancakes), 1 1/2 cups of fresh berries, 1 Jennie O Turkey Sausage link and coffee with 1 tbpsn of my favorite creamer. I am still eating what I want but I am portion controlling and making healthier swaps. If you have an iphone, I suggest downloading the "fooducate" app. It grades your food and gives you healthier suggestions!

Best of luck to you!