water question and the bathroom

Options
OK how many days would it take to get used to drinking a lot more water than i do now. I was thinking with my upcoming 5 day break from school I could try to increase it and then I wondered if that would be enough to be used to going to the bathroom so much more. I teach and only get my prep and lunch to go and they are tacked on to each other. NO other break. SO I get to school at 815 and I dont get prep till 1105 and then back with teh kids by 1220. till 330

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is the same for everyone. Some people say that they adjusted to it but for me, if I drink a lot of fluid I am in the loo every 30 mins or so and I've been doing it for years!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It's a problem for sure, and tea is even worse.
  • celewis2011
    celewis2011 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    yeah me too , i sometimes go every 15 mins, my husband has cut me off of any water before bed,lol
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you drink more water than your body needs, it has to get rid of it, or you will go into water toxicity and die. I don't think your bladder will get bigger, so I don't think you will "get used to it" other than you will find it normal to go to the bathroom more often.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    You don't get used to it. For as long as you're drinking more water you'll have to go to the restroom often.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    i'd say, try it during your break, see if you'll be able to do it on your school schedule, that way if by the end of your break you determine it isn't plausible, you know and don't have to worry about having to dance in front of the class! :-D
  • stargazerjana
    stargazerjana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yeah me too , i sometimes go every 15 mins, my husband has cut me off of any water before bed,lol

Mine too!!! Lol!!! :drinker:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    It's a problem for sure, and tea is even worse.

Why?
  • stargazerjana
    stargazerjana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Mine too! Lol! :drinker:
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Try it during your break. You may get used to it and you may not. I have to go ALOT (every 25-30 minutes) if I am drinking in the mornings....by afternoon it seems to slack off. A long weekend will give you a chance to see if you would be able to do it. Good luck!
  • amymaria91
    Options
    Sometimes I'm really busy at work and don't have time to be refilling my glass all day so when I get home at night I down a couple of pints. It hasn't done me any harm so far
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Does the normal schedule at school work for you or is it already a stretch? I agree that you don't really get to where you don't go as often but you do adjust to finding times when you can duck out and go. Are your students old enough to be left alone for a moment? I taught high school and the bathroom was just down the hall so it wasn't a big deal to leave them doing an assignment for 5 minutes-- gotta know which classes you can trust of course. My 6th period couldn't be left alone no matter what-- thankfully that class was just after lunch. Also what are you drinking now? I had to drink water constantly when I was teaching because of the amount of talking I did-- it's a challenge to drink the same amount not that I'm not working anymore.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Everyone’s body absorbs and processes at different rates. Some suggestions I would have is do not gulp the water try sipping it over time {my wife fills a glass with ice and drinks it as it melts}, this gives your body a chance to process what it is getting and does not automatically send it to waste. Drink a glass of water as a morning wake-up {great way to kick the body into gear after you wake-up}. I seem to retain cold water longer than warm. Do not know why this is, just seems like if it is cold I go longer between ceramic room trips.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You do realise you may be having too much water, right? Do you drink any other drinks, or eat plenty of fruit/veg?
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    If you drink more water than your body needs, it has to get rid of it, or you will go into water toxicity and die. I don't think your bladder will get bigger, so I don't think you will "get used to it" other than you will find it normal to go to the bathroom more often.
    Water toxicity is only an issue if you drink EXCESSIVE amounts of water in a very short period of time, we're talking like a gallon in 15 minutes. I doubt you're doing that, but I guess it's good to be aware of.

When I first started losing weight I made a concerted effort to get my intake up to a gallon a day, & this was coming from drinking NO plain water at all each day. Fortunately I work at home most of the time & have a bathroom right across from my office. It only took 3-4 days for my bathroom visits to normalize & I ended up deciding that 80-100 oz was the most I could drink & not spend all day in the bathroom. It will be different for everyone as other have said.

These days I stay within that range, though I do shoot for a full gallon (128) & meet or even exceed that at least once or twice a week, & I lived to tell about it.

Edit: Sipping constantly is one way to do it, though personally I tend to "chug" about 4 oz several times throughout the day. It gets easier as your body acclimates to being better hydrated, you'll feel naturally thirsty more often.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I teach 3rd graders NO WAY am I leaving them. I do OK. Although hte last couple of times I got a 32 oz of diet soda in teh morning I was hurting by afternoon. I usually bring a can of soda with me in the AM and drink/sip on that till break. I drink a can of soda at lunch and then nothing all afternoon.

I might wait till the full 2 weeks of break to try this. HMMMMMM I mean I do have one of the aides on my phone that I can text to come watch my class if I need to. I"ve only needed that once.