What to do with the yolks

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeans13
    Options
    Eat them! No part of the egg is bad for you.

...well okay maybe the shell.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Freeze them....when you get enough, whisk them with some EVO and honey and use as a hair mask. I have thick fine longish naturally wavy hair so I get to do this about every 3 months. I like to goop my hair up, put on a plastic shower cap and soak in the tub for an hour or so. Make sure you rinse with cool water or you will have a hard time getting it out! Works great a couple days after coloring your hair.
  • platypi87
    Options
    I have a big 110lbs german shepherd that I give them to. I make him an egg yolk omelette (about 5 yolks since I eat 5 egg whites) and I crumbled it in his food. I don't recommend this for smaller dogs. My dog is big and gets plenty of healthier snacks and exercise. I just do this maybe once or at most twice a week. The rest of the time, I toss them. What can you do, am I right?
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I eat the yolks too its the best bit
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I always eat the yolks as I can't abide waste. However, I like the idea of feeding them to my dog at times. I have a Labrador who is borderline skinny, meaning he is currently perfect weight but if he loses anything he will be too skinny. Extra treats are not a problem for him as he will burn them off running around our 9 hectares with my landlords dogs, and if it is good for his coat too, extra bonus! If I have 1 egg, I will eat the yolk but if I make scrambled or omlete or something, Jack will be very happy!! Thanks for the great idea.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I usually do a couple whole eggs, then a few whites for added protein with less calories. Before calorie counting i always just did 3 whole eggs. I toss the yolks. But when i had dogs, they went nuts for them.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Love the way everyone just says eat them. many serious bodybuilders eat like 5 egg whites at a time there is no way youc an eat that many egg yolks.
    I struggled with the same question and normally just have one or two egges a day and eat the yolks. My five year old will eat the yolk but not the white so I get her whites too, and sometimes I give her my yolk.
    I do believe you can buy cartoned egg white (where I assume they use the egg yolk for some other food) but would love to know where you can buy this in the UK as it seems to be an american thing.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I eat them but I have a lhasa apso and now I'm curious... do you cook the yolks or feed it to your dog raw? Since he's small I'm thinking no more than one per week... but his coat could use some shine :)
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    THROW THEM OUT! Or make a lovely lemon curd and gain back your weight! = D I had friends who gave their dogs cooking grease on a regular basis and the dogs ended up with pancreatitis! Dogs need dog food! THROW THEM AWAY! Yes, it is a waste, but it is also a waste if YOU eat them or if you kill the dog with them! THROW THEM OUT! What are they - 10 cents a piece or something???

... Is this a serious post?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a waste, but it is also a waste if YOU eat them or if you kill the dog with them! THROW THEM OUT!

How is it a waste if you eat them? I'm throughly confused by that bit..

To OP:
    Eat the darn egg and get over it. I eat eggs, bacon and toast 7 days a week and I'm doing just fine.
  • louisatanhuiying
    Options
    How many calories in an egg? And in an egg white vs egg yolk? Which is healthier?
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    How many calories in an egg? And in an egg white vs egg yolk? Which is healthier?

o.o There is no which is healthier. You can eat both and be perfectly fine. Maybe people with high cholesterol problems opt for egg whites online since the yolk has a lot of fat and cholesterol, but it is still good to eat. I used to eat a lot of egg white omelettes because I was convinced that they were healthier than a whole egg. Truth is eggs (in moderation) are pretty good. Enough calories, fat, and protein to give you some energy and fill you. Now, I eat whole egg omelettes since I can afford to have the extra calories in my diet (and whole eggs are just tasty).

You can check out how many calories are in an egg, egg white, egg yolk, on MFP or you can check out this website: http://www.calories-in-foods.com/calories-in-egg.php
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    We should swap... I love yolks but not too fond of egg whites (boiled or fried :noway: )

I just love eggs and especially duck eggs which have a richer, tastier yolk, although I've also tried some free-range, speciality hens eggs and they are soooooo scrumptious too.

but it's a preference thing I guess. Mind you the thought of egg whites in a carton... sorry, that just sounds gross :sick: :laugh:
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is what I do. I was not aware such a item was available until a friend told me about it. I had a lot of difficulty separating the eggs.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you are watching your cholesterol you can simply buy a higher quality egg that has been fed a diet high in Omega-3's.

<--- been watching my cholesterol for years, saw no difference in the numbers switching to just whites of the egg or egg beaters... saw a difference when switching to better quality eggs. I have no medical training or proof that this is the case for everyone, it is just my experience.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    Also about cholesterol, I have been borderline high (not high enough to freak out my doctors but they told me to be careful) for years.
    Since I have (mostly) cut out the junk food and have been eating much healthier and exercising, my cholesterol is now in a totally normal range despite the fact that I eat eggs waaaaay more often, and I never or very very rarely throw out the yolks!
    Of course this is anecdote, but it works for me :)
  • MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My dogs get mine..its good for their coats and skin. It really helps my st bernard durring the spring when he blows out his coat..it makes it easier to brush him out and the blow out doesnt last as long...plus they love it! And its a little extra fat in their meal to help with winter fat buildup
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    mmm...runny yolks

dippy eggs!

When I could eat eggs I ate the whole thing and gave the shell to my dog.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg.
    YESSSSSH!!! Eat them all and enjoy every tasty tasty bit.
    I know they come from the chicken's rear, but the whole egg is good stuff, and packed with nutrition. Work it into your cals and macros.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I throw them out, but it's because I hate egg yolks. If I liked them, I would eat them.