Question for runners with asthma....

Options
I started running by doing the C25K program in March. So by the time I was running any sort of time/distance and discovered I have exercise-induced asthma, it was May and warm outside. I take Flovent as a maintenance drug and have an albuterol "rescue" inhaler which I havent' used in many months (since I started the Flovent).

So this morning I ran for the first time in the cold (it was 30 degrees). The run was horrendous - my legs felt like they were made of cinderblocks and I was sucking wind the entire time ( I wasn't overly concerned b/c since I still consider myself a novice runner, sometimes I have bad runs). The thing that has me wondering is that it is now 4 hours since I finished my run and my lungs still have that FEELING.... it's hard to describe and I don't have a lot of experience with it since I was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma pretty quickly and got it under control right away. But do you know what I mean by that feeling?

So my question for all of you is this.... does the cold make your asthma worse? Or is this simply a non-asthma related side effect to running in cold weather? If running in the cold does make asthma worse, I would think that using the rescue inhaler before I run would be the solution (which is how my doc said to use the rescue inhaler BEFORE she put me on the Flovent).

Your thoughts, advice and wisdom is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• kerrycallan
    kerrycallan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had asthma since I was born & yes, the cold does make it a lot worse. I would take your inhaler before your run. :)
  • rachelelizabeth88
    rachelelizabeth88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've had asthma all my life and yea, the cold does make it worse. I like to keep a scarf wrapped around my neck so in case I feel some asthma coming along I can sorta breath through it-- which helps
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have severe asthma. I do not run but walk at 4.5 or faster. When it is cold I do have more trouble and I know the feeling you are describing. Try drinking a hot beverage. Coffee is a natural broncodialator and will help loosen your lungs naturally. If you do not want to drink coffee I often will drink hot lemon water or lemon tea. This will help open your lungs and help relieve that tight elephant sitting on your chest feeling. That is what I do others may do other things it really depends on what works best for you.:smile:
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah. My asthma definitely gets far worse when running in the cold. Usually it feels tight and burn-y for hours after I run. I take my inhaler before I run and just before I go to bed as well... I find that if I don't, I start coughing and just don't stop. Also, although it's probably a placebo effect, I have a tea that is supposed to help with respiration and I have found it to be soothing to my lungs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Cold does tend to make it worse. If you take the rescue inhaler about a half hour before you run it helps a lot. There may also be alternate control medications you can try. When i discovered Asmanex, it was life-changing.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    So now I know! Thanks so much for your responses and suggestions. Guess I'd better dig out that inhaler! And I will try some hot tea after lunch. And the scarf suggestion sounds like a great idea. I'll definitely try that next time.