Why 1,200 Calories Per Day Never Works

Options
13»

Replies

• aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't think that 1200 cal per day is really sustainable. Everyone is different, but 1200 is really the baseline calorie amount for the average person. If you don't eat enough, it can slow your metabolism. Go ahead and calculate your daily calories needed and eat quality foods. If it has a nutrition label, read it and educate yourself about the ingredients. Fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats are the best! :glasses:
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I am a twelve hundreder too. I do go over occasionally but it works for me. Once I hit a small plateau I eat at maintance for a day and it breaks.
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My goal cal/day according to the calculator is 1330. I just started this week but have been eating closer to 1600/day and have lost four pounds. It is all realtive and dependant upon many factors, I believe.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    1200-ish worked great for me when I was doing 'food only' and not exercising (in the beginning, first maybe month or so I think?). And then 1200-ish + exercise calories has worked beautifully ever since I started really exercising. 25 lbs in 3.5 months and feeling better than I have in probably my whole life. I'd say it doesn't work for 'everybody' b/c there is no 'one size fits all' diet/exercise plan for the countless different people at different weights, activity levels, and fitness levels out there. But it works nicely for those for which it is appropriate, especially using a site like this that makes it so easy to track correctly.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Well It does depend I guess. If you have a decent amount of weight to lose and aren't going to exercise, limiting yourself to a 1200 cal diet is probably going to work. Once you get close to your target weight, however, you lose weight more slowly. When you have less to lose, I think people should then switch to the recommended cals for their target weight... and of course, you should exercise regularly! Being healthy isn't just weighing a certain amount or having a specific bmi... it's also about living a healthy, active lifestyle. If you are being active, 1200 cals isn't enough for an extended period of time.