Fitness NSV

Options
OK... so I don't normally post my "NSVs" but today I am... just to put you in to perspective,

Since being able to see my exercise as a statistic on here a couple of months back and with my competitive nature, I've been trying to "pre-plan" what exercise I will do a week in advance and then beat it too... I've also tried to do at least an hour EVERY day.

So today I've done 20 days in a row of a MINIMUM of 100 minutes a day. some days up to 200+mins.

Each day tends to have an average caloric burn of about 1050kCal.

My resting heart rate was around 45-47BPM when I started... today it's 42 when taken in the MIDDLE of the day resting... and it was in fact 38BPM this morn! So I am mighty proud of that.

However guys... all the running has knackered my shins up a bit so I don't advise hammering the running every day but to cross train - it takes longer to reap the same rewards but will spare you pain and the fact you may have to stop exercise altogether whilst you recover from shin splints and compartment syndrome and possibly tenosynovitis or tendinitis! :)

Replies

• DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    Congrats? I think.

I don't know that much about the differences between an athlete's resting heart rate and someone who is starving themselves with a low heart rate and if one is really safer than the other. Maybe?

38 BPM when you wake up means it was even slower when you were sleeping. That's... so close to death it's kind of scary. I could really not know what I am talking about, but I am just speaking from experience.

But if it's all good and all healthy, then good job.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Phew! That's a LOT of training! Are you sure you need to be working out that much?
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh! I'm not starving myself! I have a HUGE appetite! Super carb loading! I have a lowish blood pressure...but I am running about 10-12km a day minimum! :)
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    that seems really low. like, really really low. those numbers don't even show up on the "charts".
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    I don't have to! But it's great for giving me routine and structure...and I feel so good. It's really helped me with my stress and sleep issues that I have and I'm so much calmer now. I think everyone is different...however, I didn't just jump in to this head first... i've always been fit and doing regular exercise, but over the past year, I've been upping and upping my fitness and am at this... I started off barely being able to motivate myself to run 2.5km in November last year, by Christmas is was 5km, by February 5km 4 x a week and by may training between 5 and 10 km 4-5 x a week... then came upping the ante a bit more...

Have the appetite to match it all though!
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Oh and doc wasn't upset by it when I was at annual medical... he calls it "runners pulse" ... I have to undergo annual ECG, Blood tests, eye test, hearing test, reflex function, urine test, BMI test and body composition test and annual fitness testing. Nothing abnormal showed up. :)
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Good job! I'm a cyclist (and skier this time of year), so my shins don't take the beating like yours do. Its interesting to me that many MFP'ers don't pursue pure fitness. Most are here for weight loss. Some are here just to look good externally, without regard to fitness. Others are here to increase strength and muscle mass, which is not fitness per se. And of course, combinations of those.

You sound like you are like me, focused on pure fitness. Crossfit people are focused on that as well, combined with strength.

I see strength as a secondary attribute of fitness, with the primary attribute being cardiovascular capacity. That's the attribute that keeps the football player able to perform at his best throughout an entire match, for instance. His/her strength comes into play, secondarily.

My RHR is also 38, as of October. What is your VO2 max, have you had it measured or estimated?
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Phew! That's a LOT of training! Are you sure you need to be working out that much?

Interesting question. Need.

"Want" is probably more appropriate. But that thought begs the thinking about:

If one realizes immense pleasure from a particular pursuit, even though the pursuit is not necessary to physically thrive, does that person need to continue that pursuit in order to continue experiencing the pleasure associated with the pursuit?
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Good job! I'm a cyclist (and skier this time of year), so my shins don't take the beating like yours do. Its interesting to me that many MFP'ers don't pursue pure fitness. Most are here for weight loss. Some are here just to look good externally, without regard to fitness. Others are here to increase strength and muscle mass, which is not fitness per se. And of course, combinations of those.

You sound like you are like me, focused on pure fitness. Crossfit people are focused on that as well, combined with strength.

I see strength as a secondary attribute of fitness, with the primary attribute being cardiovascular capacity. That's the attribute that keeps the football player able to perform at his best throughout an entire match, for instance. His/her strength comes into play, secondarily.

My RHR is also 38, as of October. What is your VO2 max, have you had it measured or estimated?

I have been mixing up workout with cycling and Cross train and some running too with some kettlebells thrown in as well..

My VO2 maxwas around 45 last time had it done properly but according to last fitness test was 43.43 which won't be a great estimate as had to stop short because I recently also broke my ribs(last 6 weeks) so I had to err on side of caution as realised had to do press-ups and sit-ups after.

My fastest 10 km was about 49'50" and I could run 2.4km/1.5mi in about 11minutes I think, possibly a little quicker. On MSFT get around level 9.02. :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    9.02 is light blue for you is it?
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Oh and doc wasn't upset by it when I was at annual medical... he calls it "runners pulse" ... I have to undergo annual ECG, Blood tests, eye test, hearing test, reflex function, urine test, BMI test and body composition test and annual fitness testing. Nothing abnormal showed up. :)

Yup, used to be a Auxilliary on a heart and lung ward - low heart rates applauded by the Consultants and SHO's - decent fitness level and a low sodium diet not exactly a bad thing!

Great idea on pre-logging and beating what you've logged, I'm going to have a go next week. My particular 'weakness' is strength training, I find it boring and I need to regularly add it in - thanks for the good idea and hope your shins recover quickly, there's some great stuff on the Runners World forums on shin pain if you haven't been there already :-)
  • rdberg1957
    rdberg1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am interested in overall fitness and weight loss in order to play tennis. At 54, I am trying to balance fitness goals and injury prevention. If you (RAFValentina) are able to reach that level of fitness without injury, you are doing great. For me, nothing scuttles my fitness and disrupts my eating plans like an injury. I am willing to go much slower than you at reaching my goals and I believe you are much younger than I. What's happening for me as I use MFP is that I am having fun planning my meals and workouts. I am much more likely to follow through with a plan to hit or exceed targets. I am unlikely to hit calorie and fitness targets if I just record what I do. I am more satisfied with lower calorie amounts if I plan, mostly because I eat more vegetables when I make a meal plan and that allows me a greater volume of food with fewer calories.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Valentina, you're about the fittest person I know on MFP and you seem well tested/screened and have a good and healthy attitude.
    You are an inspiration!