Weight Gain and 30 Day Shred

Options
For those of you who have done the 30 day shred.....

I started the 30 day shred 2 days ago.
Are you doing it every day?
How often are you weighing yourself and did you notice any weight gain?

I have done it for 2 days now and weighed myself and went up :(
I know muscle weighs more than fat and muscle helps burn fat but I just want to know if its normal.

I have also done my measurements so I understand I could lose there but I LOVE seeing the numbers go down on the scale.

Replies

• believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm always up in weight the day after exercise, I'd wait until the morning after a rest day to weigh, so it's a little more accurate.
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You're probably retaining water. I've read that a lot of people will initially see an increase on the scale when they change up their routine or exercise more. I've been researching this lately because I have also done 2 days of the 30DS and saw a little bit of gain despite being under my calories. I've read that the weight should come off after a week or two.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Actually, muscle does not weigh more than fat. It's volume is different, but it's weight is the same. The increase in weight is most likely your body retaining water to repair the muscles you broke down in exercise. Once your body starts to get used to your workouts, it will release the water and your weight will go back to normal and will show any weight loss you've achieved. Also, keep an eye on your sodium as too much with not enough water will also cause you to retain water.

Hope this helps!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    muscle doesnt really weigh more than fat, its just more dense.
    but yes i did notice a gain when i did 30ds. i weighed every day and at one point had gained 1.6 pounds (after about 3 weeks). the thing is, your muscles hang on to more water to help repair, so its not a real gain.
  • Becxox
    Becxox Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone,

You have made me feel so much better, I love that I can talk to you and get great information like this.
    It really keeps me going when I feel like im sinking :happy:
  • SoapyPonyLevine
    SoapyPonyLevine Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I did it , taking one day off each week. My weight did also increase by about 2lbs over the first week, but it was just muscles retaining water because in the other weeks I dropped this weight plus another 5 pounds. With the measurements, yes take them because this is where you will see the greatest results doing the Shred. I think I lost 9 inches overall. Don't be discouraged ifyou don't see a drop in the scales, just appreciate how much stronger and firmer you feel!
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The fact of the matter is that weight can be a really lousy measure of what's really happening in your body. Sure, it is good for tracking certain things, especially if you have a substantial amount of weight to lose.

Initially I used the scale to measure my progress, going from 152 to 133lbs. Then I started strength training, and I've "gained the weight back" - but I promise... I look smaller and better and the inches have continued to decrease.

Take a look at Staci and her photos. She is 170 to start with, and goes to 117. She started strength training and got up to 130 (looked way better) and then added 10 more pounds of muscle and got to 140 and has a rockin' body!
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

If you are concerned, see if you have a way to measure your body fat percentage.

Another fact about exercise (please correct me if I explain this wrong anyone), is that you get micro tears in your muscles whenever you workout. This is good because this is how your muscles get stronger. But, your body is going to repair these little tears, and you retain water in order to do so, thus making you "weigh more". You didn't gain fat, but your weight is up.

Just some thoughts :)