MY SHIN'S HURT!

Options
Hey all,

So I've been doing the 30day Shred right....well my shin's hurt! like they have been bruised on the inside or something. I think it may be because of the surface I work out on and all those god forsaken jump ropes and jum'n jacks...does anyone else have this problem?:explode:

Replies

• Summarain
    Options
    Hey all,

So I've been doing the 30day Shred right....well my shin's hurt! like they have been bruised on the inside or something. I think it may be because of the surface I work out on and all those god forsaken jump ropes and jum'n jacks...does anyone else have this problem?:explode:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You might need some stretching and some resting. Are you stretching after you do the video? The stretching section is not long enough and it does not stretch all the muscles used. When I do the shred videos I give myself a day off in between. I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Chances are you have just fatigued the muscles (not to be confused with shin splints). You need to stretch before and after exercise and get a good pair of shoes (sorry, but the payless shoes are not going to cut it when you are exercising - I found that out the hard way). It will dissipate with time - I promise.
  • Summarain
    Options
    Okay, thank you!

I am using my walking nike's by the way....I will try to do more streches.
  • mamashrub
    Options
    Chances are you have just fatigued the muscles (not to be confused with shin splints). You need to stretch before and after exercise and get a good pair of shoes (sorry, but the payless shoes are not going to cut it when you are exercising - I found that out the hard way). It will dissipate with time - I promise.

I used to work at payless...they say their shoes are good for work outs, but they arent..ALL of the shoes are fashion minded...beauty over function.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    Summarain, a really good streach for your shin splints is to 'write' the alphabet with your toes...... You can do it right at your desk at work.... It really helps with the pain! Hope it helps YOU!!! :smile:
  • Coach2010
    Options
    Well...as one thought to deal with shins, simply sit on the floor (preferably carpeted ;-),
    on your knees with the bottoms of your feet face up (so the tops of your feet are facing the floor.

Now, place your hands alongside your feet, and begin to lean back...working the hands back,
    until you feel the stretch on your shins. Depending on how you're feeling in your shins, just find a
    spot that's stretching and hold there for about 20 - 30 seconds. Relax. Try it again.

Shin splints are no fun...especially for someone doing the athletic thing on a daily basis.

I also agree with firewalking... time will heal this. Cheers! :drinker:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Another thought on shoes..

I find that running shoes work best for me on a hard surface, even if I am walking - maybe there is extra cushioning? Others who are more fitness savvy can weigh in on this.

I have a tendency to get shin splints when walking on a road surface or treadmill if I try to go either too fast or too steep a grade. I need a fair amount of time to warm up on a gradual grade at moderate speed.

I just tried 30-day shred yesterday for the first time.. It knocked the crap out of me. I didn't get shin splints but there really is alot of high intensity jumping/bouncing.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    Another thought on shoes..

I find that running shoes work best for me on a hard surface, even if I am walking - maybe there is extra cushioning? Others who are more fitness savvy can weigh in on this.

I have a tendency to get shin splints when walking on a road surface or treadmill if I try to go either too fast or too steep a grade. I need a fair amount of time to warm up on a gradual grade at moderate speed.

I just tried 30-day shred yesterday for the first time.. It knocked the crap out of me. I didn't get shin splints but there really is alot of high intensity jumping/bouncing.

I totally agree about the shoes. Walking shoes don't cut it for anything more than a leisurely stroll through a park or the mall. Running or cross-training shoes are best.

I personally have issues with Nike brand shoes. Shoes are a highly individual thing. When I had my Nikes, I got shin splints all the time from jogging, no matter how often or sporadic. Now I wear Adidas or Saucony and it's very rare for me to get shin splints. It's worth spending money on the right shoes because they will affect not only your shins, but your ankles, knees, back and your overall posture.