Need Runner Advice!!! Treadmill Speed Workout???

I want to improve my pace for my next 1/2 marathon in 2012 and I wanted to add a speed workout on the treadmill, one day a week. I already run 5 miles twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday, Saturday morning is our long morning run, so this speed workout would be on a Wednesday. Does anyone have a workout that is reliable and gets results??? Thank you in advance! :flowerforyou: God Speed :heart:

Replies

• katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    As much as I hate them...Fartlek running or track workouts (ex: run 800 as fast as you can and then rest for an equal amount of time that it took you to run it) are great for improving speed.
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    You should google "speed workout treadmill" -- you get a ton!

Here's one from Runner's World (copy/pasted it from their site):
    THE PACE BOOSTER->Warm up for six minutes by alternating 30 seconds jogging with 30 seconds walking. Then increase your speed slightly and run for 30 seconds. Walk for 30 seconds. Continue this 30/30 ratio. Increase your speed slightly with each successive run segment. Do as many cycles as you comfortably can.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    that's what I've been doing for the last few weeks. I'm getting ready for a 1/2 and a full marathon. This is my schedule

Monday - Treadmill interval run for 3 miles, 30 minute chest and back workout, finish with 1 or 2 miles on the treadmill or run home

Tuesday - 10k

Wednesday - Treadmill interval run for 3 miles, 30 minute arm and shoulder workout, finish with 1 or 2 miles on the treadmill or run home

Thursday - rest day

Friday - Treadmill interval run for 3 miles, 30 minute leg workout, finish with 1 or 2 miles on the treadmill or run home

Saturday - 10+k

The interval run on the Treadmill has been key to increasing my pace for running on the road. I increased my 10k by 2 minutes in the last 3 weeks. I do the strength workouts for 3 weeks consistently then just run 5 days on the 4th week.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    I just push myself each time ramping up by 0.2km /hour every 5 minutes or so and then doing some outdoor work too. Try some gradient and some speed intervals...so super fast sprints and recovery at your comfortable jogging pace.
  • ocrunner11
    ocrunner11 Posts: 293 Member
    Thank you so much everyone, I have heard of farlek workout. I'll check out google too!