Hair loss...

Options
I am really upset. I used to have really thick hair, and now I am afraid I am getting to the point where it is noticeable and really thin. I am so over this I am angry. I have too much to deal with, why do I have to deal with this? It is frustrating. I eat a lot of protein, I had blood tests done. What in the flying F is wrong with my hair?

Also, my nails have been having problems as well.

Replies

• Carrie704
    Options
    i take biotin for my nails. they chip BAD, they arent perfect now but I've noticed an improvement
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    bump...
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Have you lost a lot of weight recently. I have very thick curly hair and I have found more hair loss now that I have lost about 56 pounds. But from what I have heard from others, after awhile, our body gets used to the body loss and the hair loss will decrease. I have heard that biotin helps. A friend of mine who lost about 80 pounds in 9 months found out that her iron was low so may be have that checked. I also find putting cocount oil (put in hair leave in about 20 minutes before shower about once a week) helps also.
  • ActorGirl1476
    ActorGirl1476 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my first guess is stress?? I know that's the only time I have trouble with my hair is if I am really really really stressed... but if you don't think you are stressed, try biotin like the person above me mentioned. I have a biotin shampoo and conditioner from a brand called Mill Creek. Hope that Helps!
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have heard that when you lose weight especially if it is a lot and/or fast hair loss is common and nail issues. My hair dresser recommended folic acid. Her sister had lap band and she had her take it to make sure everything was still healthy. I have heard of people taking pre-natal vitamins too.
  • capergal
    capergal Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Get your B12 checked too.....mine is always low and I get shots for it once a month. I can tell when it is dropping because my nails get thin and weak.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too everytime I get out of the shower I can pull wads of hair out. I was told that you can get a shampoo with protein in it which should help. I actually plan to talk to a nutritionist tomorrow about this- I will post what she says to me...
  • J3SSP3NNY
    Options
    bump...

What does this mean? I see people posting this at times.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I am really upset. I used to have really thick hair, and now I am afraid I am getting to the point where it is noticeable and really thin. I am so over this I am angry. I have too much to deal with, why do I have to deal with this? It is frustrating. I eat a lot of protein, I had blood tests done. What in the flying F is wrong with my hair?

Also, my nails have been having problems as well.

I agree with taking vitamins. By also, Are you eating enough?
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    oh- I 've heard of the B12 thing too- check into this!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories for your BMR?
  • J3SSP3NNY
    Options
    Carrots encourage hair growth! I have thinning hair as well and it is miserable. It makes you feel so crappy. :(

I started juicing veggies and drinking that. I saw huge improvements pretty fast. But I have to do it daily or it ends up falling out again. I think I just was so bad to my body that it started giving way. Everytime I get really stressed it falls out worse
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump...

What does this mean? I see people posting this at times.

its just to save the post, it makes it easier to go back to it, by clicking on "my Topics".
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    Honestly, my first guess is stress?? I know that's the only time I have trouble with my hair is if I am really really really stressed... but if you don't think you are stressed, try biotin like the person above me mentioned. I have a biotin shampoo and conditioner from a brand called Mill Creek. Hope that Helps!

This might be it. I am very, very stressed. I am almost done with my first semester of college and have a lot of stress in other places. I used to be anemic but I am not now. I will try the biotin. :) Thank you everyone!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    For women hair naturally thins whilst undergoing perimenopause; my doctor recommended Biotin and non- flush Niacin. Please consult your doctor for the correct dosage as it needs to be set based on your weight and hormone levels. I've been taking them for a few years and my hair stopped thinning and is almost as thick as previously.
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    I struggle with this too everytime I get out of the shower I can pull wads of hair out. I was told that you can get a shampoo with protein in it which should help. I actually plan to talk to a nutritionist tomorrow about this- I will post what she says to me...

Great! That would be awesome. Thank you!
  • Rewinds
    Options
    It is due to your diet change.

Low carb/calorie diets often lead to hair loss (low in two ways, such as lower than your old intake and low number wise so less than 1000) Google has a lot of articles and research articles about it :)

Edit;
    Once the stress is gone the cycle should resume/adjust ;o
  • Maryannbloomquist
    Options
    Bump
  • J3SSP3NNY
    Options
    Thank you :)