Maggiano's Spinach Salad - 1190 Calories??!!

Options
Can the Maggiano's Spinach Salad (large) honestly be 1190 calories with these ingredients: Tender leaf spinach tossed with diced red peppers, roasted red onions and Gorgonzola cheese, topped with applewood smoked bacon and toasted pine nuts. Served with apple cider vinaigrette????? I may just have well eaten the lasagna! I found the 1190 calorie count on MFP. Actually, I entered my own recipe and thought I was quite generous on the portions I used in the recipe:

Del Monte - Fresh Cut Leaf Spinach, 3 cup - 180 calories (think this is high but what is listed on MFP)
Shaw's - Diced Red and Green Peppers, 3/8 cup 13 calories
Generic - Roast Red Onions, 0.25 cup 8 calories
Belgioiso - Gorgonzola Cheese, 2 Tbsp 110 calories
Gwaltney - Applewood Smoked Bacon, 2 fried slices 70 calories
Fisher - Toasted Pine Nuts, 1 oz about 1/4 cup 190 calories
O'charley's - Apple-Cider Vinaigrette, 2 ounces 280 calories (don't think there was really 2 ounces, but again, went generous)

This totaled 851 which is ALOT for a salad, but still less than the 1190 I have found on the nutritional information for this salad.

Replies

• tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I guarantee a large salad had more than 2 oz of dressing (that is why you could ask for it on the side in future restaurant outings) and 2 tbsp of cheese.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i bet their count is right. but nutritional info can be something like up to 40% off ?? something weird like that.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I see on a couple of other sites that Maggiano's spinach salad only has 600 calories in it.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    one slice, not two, of bacon has 70 calories, if it is the Gwatney.
  • brookums71
    brookums71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had a ceaser salad there that cost me my calories for 2 days! That place is insane. I will never eat there again. Another deal breaker place is PF Changs. 750 calories for green beans!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Well, it's correct according to the information provided at the link on this site:

http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/foods/maggianos-little-italy-nutritional-info-finally

But I have no idea if that's really accurate or not! It shows 600 calories for the half and 1190 for the full...
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I see on a couple of other sites that Maggiano's spinach salad only has 600 calories in it.

I think that is the lunch portion or half salad.
  • felicityksr
    Options
    one slice, not two, of bacon has 70 calories, if it is the Gwatney.

I just went by what MFP had for the calorie counts on the ingredients. I will have to check them out.

Thank you.
  • felicityksr
    Options
    I guarantee a large salad had more than 2 oz of dressing (that is why you could ask for it on the side in future restaurant outings) and 2 tbsp of cheese.

I have had much larger salads than the one I got today, but it was supposedly the large one.

Actually, I usually do ask for most dressings on the side and dip my fork in it before I take a fork full of salad but I thought how bad can a vinaigrette be? Lesson learned. :mad:
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You're right. I looked on another site and it does say 2 fried slices.
  • felicityksr
    Options
    I had a ceaser salad there that cost me my calories for 2 days! That place is insane. I will never eat there again. Another deal breaker place is PF Changs. 750 calories for green beans!

I love PF Chang's, but haven't been there in a few years and probably won't be going there anytime soon either.
  • felicityksr
    Options
    You're right. I looked on another site and it does say 2 fried slices.

:flowerforyou:
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Another reason why I hate going to restaurants. Just think about how many people don't have any idea of what they are actually eating. No wonder the obesity rate in this country is through the roof. I hate to think how much sodium was in that. Don't even want to think about PJ Changs or any other Chinese restaurant for that matter.
  • felicityksr
    Options
    Another reason why I hate going to restaurants. Just think about how many people don't have any idea of what they are actually eating. No wonder the obesity rate in this country is through the roof. I hate to think how much sodium was in that. Don't even want to think about PJ Changs or any other Chinese restaurant for that matter.

I know and I thought I was making the best choice among all the evils! Had I known where we would have ended up eating, I would have checked it out ahead of time. Tried to after we got to the restaurant, but couldn't get a strong enough signal on phone to do my research. BTW, their nutritional info shows 1840 sodium!! WOW!!