How do you keep it off?

Options
Hi All,

I've been on MFP for about three months.
I've dropped 20 pounds so far.
I'm 37 years old, 6'1" and now at 175.
My goal is around 165 or 170.

I haven't really been exercising, just eating smart.
I'm really thinking about how to maintain, because whatever I do, it has to be something I'll stick with.
I think I can stick with eating healthy.
Not sure I could stick with a 5-day-a-week workout schedule...I just lose motivation.

As I get close to the goal weight, I'm curious how folks keep it off.
I've been thin most of my life, then in the last 12 years, put on about 30 pounds.
The last thing I want is to gain it all back.
What works for you?

Adam

Replies

• debgcook
    Options
    Keeping track of what you eat and your portions helps keep you weight under control.
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    I got tired of the gym routine (i really just don't like be around a lot of people and when I switched from night shift to day shift, the gym is WAY worse). I took up running. Its not for everyone, but I like it. I do it at least 3, at most 5 days a week for 30-60 mins. I get fresh air, travel around the neighborhood and burn calories lol. Helps me to maintain my weight /lose weight.
  • HurricaneJulia
    Options
    Maintaining a consistent eating and work out routine really is key. You don't have to go to the gym 5 days a week, but just try to be active for at least a half hour every day. Go on a walk after dinner or something. If you're stuck on the gym, try 2 or 3 days a week to start. You can keep it there or increase after you've gotten into the hang of things. Eating healthy is important, but exercise is necessary for a healthy heart and mind :)
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs since joining in March, it took me 6 months to lose it and I've been maintaining it for about 6-8 weeks. I eat healthy and I do exercise 5 days/week. I find for me that exercising has multiple benefits...it's great for you mentally and physically, I've gotten stronger and (finally :bigsmile: ) lost my little pot belly!! I also have back issues and it has strengthened my back. I find it helps with the everyday stresses of being a working mother, having a busy family and an aging parent in a nursing home. I know I'll be able to keep the weight off for good with watching what I eat, but exercising gives me a little "wiggle room" if I want a cocktail or dessert on occasion.

Hope this helps. :smile: Friend me if you'd like a buddy...I'm a great cheerleader!!
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Maintaining a consistent eating and work out routine really is key. You don't have to go to the gym 5 days a week, but just try to be active for at least a half hour every day. Go on a walk after dinner or something. If you're stuck on the gym, try 2 or 3 days a week to start. You can keep it there or increase after you've gotten into the hang of things. Eating healthy is important, but exercise is necessary for a healthy heart and mind :)
    I must have an unhealthy heart and mind.
    I can't work my lower body -- my R leg is dead below the knee.
    I can't work my upper body -- 2 back surgeries and the doc says don't pick up anything over 25#.
    Walking over about 100 yards puts my back in spasm.
    Food is all I can control.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28 pounds since January.. and I def. don't spend 5 days a week in the gym. I spend about 3 days at the gym.. or 4 if I'm lucky.. I'm a part time student and full time sub... there are nights when I don't even feel like moving , let alone going to the gym.

The key to liking exercise is finding something you love... be it running, walking, dancing, weight lifting... if it gets you moving and gets your heart rate elevated, then it counts as exercise in my book. I personally do cardio and weight lifting.. my trainer just got me started on a new weight lifting program and I'm hooked after only one day.
  • AdamWeiss
    AdamWeiss Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you hit the nail on the head.
    I have to enjoy it, or I won't do it.

Those who are at their target weight and maintaining, do you find that following the recommended calorie count to maintain works, or do you need to adjust?